S54 on E36

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dave

Club Guest
Hi Bro, Wish to know is there any S54 (E46 M3) engine trans plan into E36? Any sifu or bro have this experience? worried engine mounting points / cross member mounting etc...Cheers

Dave,

The S54 engine is the 3.2 litre heart as found in the E46 M3. The S52 is the 3.2 litre heart found in the E36 M3 Evo models of the late 90s - saloon/coupe/cabrio. I believe that transplanting an S52 into an E36 would be more cost effective. Anyway, I'll let the experts here to comment on your questions.

Cheers,

Tks Bro Vanquish, it's a mistake, it should be S54(e46 m3) amended. As i already had the engine with harness, ews etc..Just worried the mounting point & engine mounting.
Cheers

Originally posted by Vanquish@Jul 2 2006, 02:01 PM
Dave,

The S54 engine is the 3.2 litre heart as found in the E46 M3. The S52 is the 3.2 litre heart found in the E36 M3 Evo models of the late 90s - saloon/coupe/cabrio. I believe that transplanting an S52 into an E36 would be more cost effective. Anyway, I'll let the experts here to comment on your questions.

Cheers,
The E36 M3 Evo's 3.2L engine is actually the S50B32. The "S52" is US only E36 M3 engine and not the individual throttle bodied Euro M engine.

:D

Thanks for clearing that up, E28driver. My apologies for the oversight. The S52 B32 engine was for the post 96' North American M3 models .... including the Canadian market as well. The S50 B32 was the engine found in all Euro and Asian market M3 models - itself an evolution of the famed S50 B30 engine.

The S52 is essentially an evolution of the standard production M52 engine. However, it incorporates the following changes over its S50 B30 USA predecessor:

-Increased bore to 86.4mm (from 86.0mm) and increased stroke to 89.6mm (from 85.8mm) for a total displacement of 3,152cc (from 2,990cc)
-More finely balanced camshafts
-Valve lifters, springs and spring seats with reduced mass
-Revised intake and exhaust systems
-OBD II (On-Board Diagnostics, version II) compliance
-Horsepower unchanged at 240 hp (SAE) at 6,000 rpm ( this one pissed our American brothers much )
-Torque increased to 236 lb/ft at 3,800 rpm (up from 225 lb/ft at 4,250 rpm)

Well, Dave - since you already have the hardware, it's best that you start talking to a few of the regular workshops that may have handled these sorta transplants. I'm sure you'll hear more from the resident piston-heads here as soon as they log in.

Cheers,

It has been done to an e36 coupe I was told, with the SMG shift as well. So, its workable.

Originally posted by ALBundy@Jul 4 2006, 03:22 PM
It has been done to an e36 coupe I was told, with the SMG shift as well. So, its workable.
Yes... the yellow E36 Coupe with ugly LED rear lights. Was even featured in a local car magazine.

Conversion done by Stuttgart if I recall correctly.

yeah is a yellow colour e36 wit very ugly made in taiwan type rear lights . it is done in stuggart n they are very proud of it ...

Top Bottom