Rubbing Problems

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bongyt2

Club Guest
Hi everyone,It's great being in this family. Especially after a great time driving with many bimmers during the July Monthly Drive. I have a problem with my rear tyres. I just changed my rear tyres to Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (255/35/18) and with new absorbers from Boge but it keeps rubbing. I have just done an alignment service and they said that my camber(Don't know how to spell it correctly) needs to be adjusted. I didn't adjust it yet. Is it the cause my tyres is rubbing the body of my E46? Btw,just one lame question here.... Is it the rear tyres are not suppose to be in straight position? It is suppose to be in a Y position. If rear tyres is in a Y position, this would cause the tyres to be worn off unevenly. Please help me with my problem. Really hate rubbing... my tyres is brand new.... want to sayang my tyres....

Your rear tyres should look like this / \ and not \ /. The top of the tyre should tuck into the fender arch and the degree of camber or tuck in is more than 1 degree, normally 1.10~1.50 degree in negative. You sounded like u running positive camber.

Do you know the offset of your rear wheel? What model? Original BMW or replica? U using spacer?

U using M Double Style 135?

M135+After+3.jpg

3 Series (E46) from 04/98, except M3
8 x 18 Front, ET 47, 225/40 R18
8,5 x 18 Rear, ET 50, 255/35 R18

Anyone using the same rim? Jarance? How much rear camber u all use? -1.5? -2.0?

I have check the E46 alignment spec. The rear camber is recommended at -1'34" +/- 30"..

Found more info here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=416660

side note: i dunno anybody using original Style 135 for/on their E46. anybody want to sell an ori set, lemme know ya :D

Meaning, chances are bong is using a replica. Offset may not be right, the wheels are too hing protruding beyond the fender clearance, provided that camber is negative 1+ already. 2 things u can do, fender rolling [if haven't roll la] or put in a more aggressive negative camber [E46 can go up to -1'60" if not wrong], which will cause severe inner wear of your rear tyres, but still better comparing to letting your fender slicing the tyre wall.

First thing now is check your rear camber degree and decide from there.

where it is rubbing? UP, DOWN, Left side or Right Side?

and Left wheel rubbing or Right wheel rubbing?

what is your rims offset?

I have problem when I was using 265 and problem solved when I changed back to 255. (Rim is ori msport 18")

My e39 also have the rubbing issue when the car run in high speed over hump and full with 4 passengers & luggage. But nothing to adjust la as love the current PSS height setting..:4:

Brothers,

I will take a picture for you all to see... Firstly,we all know that Malaysian highway is not flat. So when I go too fast,the rubbing is super loud. It could be the camber problems because when u see the picture,u will know why I say this. I am going to the Hankook tyre shop outside my house here to let them adjust my camber.
I went for an alignment service around 2 days ago,and they found out that my rear camber is not in order. they asked me to adjust the camber for RM45/side. I was thinking is it necessary? then I yesterday found out from my neighbor that it is necessary to adjust it. I think the best way is to take a pic for you all to see and see what should I do...
By the way, how can i find out the offset of my rims/tyres?
My rims is original rims from Germany. I'm using M5 rims. I will take a picture for you all to see later...

bmw7833;547048 said:
My e39 also have the rubbing issue when the car run in high speed over hump and full with 4 passengers & luggage. But nothing to adjust la as love the current PSS height setting..:4:

dude, what offset? using the ori m5 rims?

bongyt2;547127 said:
Brothers,

I will take a picture for you all to see... Firstly,we all know that Malaysian highway is not flat. So when I go too fast,the rubbing is super loud. It could be the camber problems because when u see the picture,u will know why I say this. I am going to the Hankook tyre shop outside my house here to let them adjust my camber.
I went for an alignment service around 2 days ago,and they found out that my rear camber is not in order. they asked me to adjust the camber for RM45/side. I was thinking is it necessary? then I yesterday found out from my neighbor that it is necessary to adjust it. I think the best way is to take a pic for you all to see and see what should I do...
By the way, how can i find out the offset of my rims/tyres?
My rims is original rims from Germany. I'm using M5 rims. I will take a picture for you all to see later...

Ori m5 rims on e46? I think the centre bore is of different size...

bongyt2;546965 said:
Hi everyone,

It's great being in this family. Especially after a great time driving with many bimmers during the July Monthly Drive.
I have a problem with my rear tyres. I just changed my rear tyres to Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (255/35/18) and with new absorbers from Boge but it keeps rubbing. I have just done an alignment service and they said that my camber(Don't know how to spell it correctly) needs to be adjusted. I didn't adjust it yet. Is it the cause my tyres is rubbing the body of my E46?
Btw,just one lame question here.... Is it the rear tyres are not suppose to be in straight position? It is suppose to be in a Y position. If rear tyres is in a Y position, this would cause the tyres to be worn off unevenly.

Please help me with my problem. Really hate rubbing... my tyres is brand new.... want to sayang my tyres....

bongyt2,
chk out this thread...

http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34565

astroboy;546997 said:
Your rear tyres should look like this / \ and not \ /. The top of the tyre should tuck into the fender arch and the degree of camber or tuck in is more than 1 degree, normally 1.10~1.50 degree in negative. You sounded like u running positive camber.

Do you know the offset of your rear wheel? What model? Original BMW or replica? U using spacer?

U using M Double Style 135?

M135+After+3.jpg

3 Series (E46) from 04/98, except M3
8 x 18 Front, ET 47, 225/40 R18
8,5 x 18 Rear, ET 50, 255/35 R18

Anyone using the same rim? Jarance? How much rear camber u all use? -1.5? -2.0?

I have check the E46 alignment spec. The rear camber is recommended at -1'34" +/- 30"..

Found more info here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=416660

my rim like this.
reartyre.jpg

E60 M5 rims is ini macam:
254542-bmw-e60-m5-original-rim-fs-image0082.jpg

... and its only available in 19" :eek:

Radial spoke - style 166 M
8,5 x 19 Front, ET 12, 255/40 ZR19
9,5 x 19 Rear, ET 28, 285/35 ZR19

Those offset is too aggressive for E46, the smaller the number, the more the rim is protruding away from the wheel hub and every unit is 1mm. The E46 18" I shown earlier is ET50, this is ET28, so its coming out by 22mm.. but again.. this is 19", so makes me wonder what rim is yours?! :hmmmm:

Center Bore diameter of 72.5mm can pakai for E46 and E60 ma.. :top: but the offset totally out la.

astroboy;547217 said:
E60 M5 rims is ini macam:
254542-bmw-e60-m5-original-rim-fs-image0082.jpg

Center Bore diameter of 72.5mm can pakai for E46 and E60 ma.. :top: but the offset totally out la.

sorry..sorry...was thinking of bmw 7833 rims....e39 m5...slurppsss

bongyt2;547209 said:
Bro, I do not understand this:
3 Series E46 = PCD 5x120, centre bore 72.5mm and M12x1.5 bolt thread. ET 30-45

I am not even sure the measurement on my car... too newbie for bmw... haha... but thanks for the sharing...

Pcd 5 x 120...in short pitch circle diameter ( which doesnt matter as you already install the rim and it fits! ).

Bro, check this out (lazy to explain la..hehehe...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_sizing

Wiki can explain better..

cheers

maybe ya rear absorbers do not have OR may have a worn out shock stop .... shock stop is a solid rubber which sits on the absorber shaft whereby it prevents unnecessary bounce when you hit on an uneven road ....

Bro, my M5 is from germany... not taiwan... and it's 18' rims. the pics is coming soon...

ICEMAN 13;547255 said:
maybe ya rear absorbers do not have OR may have a worn out shock stop .... shock stop is a solid rubber which sits on the absorber shaft whereby it prevents unnecessary bounce when you hit on an uneven road ....

bro, i already changed a new set of rear absorbers. which includes the shock stop... but the rubbing is only when huge uneven surface on road... if small uneven roads,there is no rubbing. it is better than last time before i changed my absorbers...

do you get any signs of rubbing beneath the fender ...usually when it rubs it tends to take off the antirust paint below the fender ...from here you may know where is it actually rubbing at ....the outer fender or inner fender ...if outer fender then you may require rolling the fender ..

at times you may even be shocked that it's rubbing on ya rear plastic bumper cover too ....

Top Bottom