RIM : Original vs Europe vs Taiwan

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

sewell

Club Guest
from the subject above, can anyone tell me is there any different for RIM Original vs Europe vs Taiwan ? mostly when we wanted to change rim they tyre shop only introduce taiwan rim, and the value compare to europe rim is huge different.thank you

...taiwan ones are replica's and those from Europe are mostly originals ...

interm of difference :- i thinks it's the finishing quality
the offsets :- slight difference when you put 2 ( originals , replica's ) side by side ...

my 2 cento ...

You must read more about the art of forged rim vs die cast rim.. :D Then u know every single sen you pay for the forged rim is worth it!

Die cast rim breaks easily because many air capsule trap within the alloy during die cast.. maybe very light because inside got air ma.. but no substance, to compensate, they have to build it thicker and heavier, still its weak, compare to a thinner lighter forged rims.

The crazy thing about replicas is even the lug hole become longgar after some time and feel vibration at high speed. If only for mother to go pasar, or sending kids to tuitions or schools, replica is value for money! :top:

sachseelan;548825 said:
replica can change evry 6 months... ;)

wooww you manage to keep ya wheels away from the famous pot hole soup for 6 months ... kewl ... :)

hi ice, pot hole is a no escape! ori rim also koyak...

now wt ori, have to memorise all these holes!! mahal...

Have u seen in the movies on how swords are being made? They burn it until red and lembik, then use a hammer keep beating it. At first I thought is just shaping it.. but do u realise, even after shaping it, they continue to beat :eek:

The fabricator is trying to dense up the metal and beat out the trapped air in the metal. That's call forging, heat and pressure! to create something that's thin, can flex won't break. That's how u want your rims to be. Have u seen die cast before? Cook the metal become liquid, pour into mold and kao tim!.. :D :D :D

FWIW, not all OEM or 'euro' wheels are forged. Plenty of them are actually cast wheels as well. I couldn't speak for the manufacturing quality but I would imagine that the price difference could be attributed to the cost of manufacturing in Taiwan/China as compared to European countries.

What 2wenty6 said is true, not all OEM wheels are forged. Depending of what kind of wheels. If replica is cast wheels trying to mimic a forge wheel with the same dimension and thinkness, then trouble because the tensile strength of cast alloy is never as good as forge alloy, so the cast wheel will fail.

OEM wheels are mostly cast wheel, thick and solid. Cast wheel replica of cast wheel, then I think comparable..

are forged rims another way of saying original rims? Im confused with the term forged. From the descriptions above, i feel forged rims are originals..am i right?

deep3102;548900 said:
are forged rims another way of saying original rims? Im confused with the term forged. From the descriptions above, i feel forged rims are originals..am i right?

No, they are plenty of cast original wheels as well.
The term “forged” refers to making an alloy wheel by forcing a raw block of metal into a shape with extreme pressure. It is a much more expensive process compared to normal casting and is reflected in the price of the finished wheel.

A friend was using replica rims when he skidded on a wet road and hit a roadside kerb and the replica rims shattered into bajillion pieces. He had to car towed after that mild skid. Not funny if it happens to you. Question is - how much is your life / your loved one's life worth if you skimp on cheap rims? They are holding that rubber contact between you and the ground.

for those replica's ...it's highly depends on the hubs core structure of the rims ...etc those with thinner spoke ( breytons 5 spoke ) with smaller hubs core structure may tend to damage or gets bend easily ...some of the solid hub core structures like the AC type 2 , type 3 seems to be tough ...

same time if you notice the original have got a radius lip design at the edges compared to the replica's which mostly have sharp lip design ....therfore shapr lip design carries low strength compared to those with some slight radius ..

therfore replica's are highly dependable of the design in terms of realibility ...

deep3102;548934 said:
so replica's are just out for looks rather than reliability?

not exactly ...the replica's are for those with thin wallets OR alwasy getting into pot holes OR changes rims frequently ....

some replica's that i've seen also last for a long time upon extreme drivings too ....

Just think of it this way for rims.
You got 3 factors:

Price
Weight
Strength

Whatever you buy, you can only get 2 out of 3 at a time. :)

There are replicas out there of decent quality, I guess it really depends on what kinda replica you end up getting. I have friends running CSL and BBS reps and there are also plenty of people running replica wheels in the US. I haven't come across an incident where it fails catastrophically (i.e: shatters when curbed). Granted, this is in the US but these replicas are made in China nonetheless.

do you think taiwan replica is reliable ? lets say the lifespent is about 5-8 year

Top Bottom