Requiring e30 Steering rack

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Club Guest
Guys, where can i find a good (used) steering rack? May i know in what range would the cost be? Mines, is gone case. Shaking like crazy when driving. Really appreciate it. Looks like wont be able for the. tt on the 8th. Ahhh mannnnnnnn

It seems that here in this forum there are those who suggest changing it to e36 steering rack. Does anyone here done that? Please let me know on how to go about etc.

TQ

Many pple have done the E36 rack upgrade. No downside as far as I can see and its faster lock to lock.

Downside would be that:
- You have to modify the steering coupling / spacers.
- You lose the originality of an E30 (well they say the greatest honour an E36 could have is to have its parts installed in an E30).
- After you do it you can only replace your rack with an E36 rack, unless you re-modify.

Advantages would be:
- Easier (for the time being) to source for E36 steering rack than an E30.
- E36's steering rack much cheaper than any available E30's unless you have a very good friend to sell cheap to you.
- I heard that the cost of (parts + modify + labour to fit E36 rack in an E30) is cheaper than (parts + labour to replace original E30 rack in an E30). Not really sure whether this is case to case basis or what and somebody else need to confirm this.

As a reference you might wanna check this site:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=66247

WIll do boss, have not really got time to drop by there. Lately weekends, i'm quite packed.

Hi 6767,
I have a set of steering rack (aluminium or the M40 type) as a spare with me. Call me at 016-2151774 should you are interested.

Thanks.

If u need a mech for E36 steering rack conversion , just give me a call at 0122207630....

TQ

Lionel_Koh;623729 said:
If u need a mech for E36 steering rack conversion , just give me a call at 0122207630....

TQ

Bro,,, you know how to do it yourself or you know someone else? What's the fees like? btw, i have yet to buy the steering rack,,,still have got the actual figures that we might be talking about here.

After talking with genocide, i now has to find out 1st whether mine is aluminium or metal. Got to check, coz the car that i have, it has 5 lugs.

Later

Guys,

Is aluminium ones for M40 and metal ones for M20?

I've found metal one (recond) at a shop in Jln Ipoh, but my mech said recond ones would have problems. He told me to better buy second hand. But the recond one is much cheaper than second hand.

My question is, has anyone here changed to recond steering rack before? And is there really any problem with it?

Sorry 6767, I tumpang your thread a bit. :4:

Thanx.

Top Bottom