Reprogamming ECU

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Club Guest
Hi ALL,Was informed by some sifu that I need to re-progamme my ECU with a MODIC.Went to MPower, spoke to Bala. Says GT2 is the latest gizmo, more accurate but costs RM180, MODIC is cheaper at RM80. I think the prices are still high, anyone did this before??Pls advice on the differences, I need to reset my ECU (again, is this necessary??)Thnx.

Whatever yr reasons for wanting to reset yr ECU...try this method....for free......disconnect the +ve battery post followed by yr -ve.
Short these two wires together for 10mins and then reconnect to your battery.This action will sort of clear whatever stored memory in the ecu.

Originally posted by moots@Feb 21 2005, 12:09 AM
Whatever yr reasons for wanting to reset yr ECU...try this method....for free......disconnect the +ve battery post followed by yr -ve.
Short these two wires together for 10mins and then reconnect to your battery.This action will sort of clear whatever stored memory in the ecu.
interesting.... does it apply to other models as well?

Originally posted by 5201@Feb 21 2005, 01:01 PM
Hi ALL,

Was informed by some sifu that I need to re-progamme my ECU with a MODIC.

Went to MPower, spoke to Bala. Says GT2 is the latest gizmo, more accurate but costs RM180, MODIC is cheaper at RM80. I think the prices are still high, anyone did this before??

Pls advice on the differences, I need to reset my ECU (again, is this necessary??)

Thnx.
What sort of reset are you referring to?

1. oil service
2. inspection light
3. abs

etc etc...

Jarance,

Actually, there is two reasons for me wanting to use the MODIC.

Main reason, due to the TRANS PROGRAM error on my drive recently. Was told that my transmission solenoids may be at fault (hopefully the gearbox is still healthy). So with the MODIC, I can know for sure which soleniod to change (if necessary).

Secondly, when I reset the oil change light with the diagnostic unit, I get an "E" reading from it. Managed to reset the oil lights, but the error still there. So while I am using the MODIC to check the gearbox, might as well use it to reset my alarms/errors as well.

Trying to kill 2 birds with one MODIC... :D ;)

Moots,

What are the side effects of this manual reset?? Wont it mean that the ECU no longer have any memory?? Will it even reset my milage too?? :unsure: :unsure:

Sorry if i asking silly questions, but i do worry abt the electronics in my car as i very not sufficient in electrical knowledges. :dunno: :dunno:

Thnx all.

Sorry, missed out the most important info of all. Is driving an E34 M50B20TU, Vanos.

Originally posted by 5201@Feb 21 2005, 01:01 PM
... GT2 is the latest gizmo, more accurate but costs RM180, MODIC is cheaper at RM80...

Pls advice on the differences, I need to reset my ECU (again, is this necessary??)
e34 old car already, i wouldn't spend the extra 100 bucks for using that GT2 thing. don't know what logic gt2 more accurate than modic (vice the e34) since gt2 probably didn't exist during e34's lifetime...

Originally posted by 5201@Feb 21 2005, 01:44 PM
Jarance,

Actually, there is two reasons for me wanting to use the MODIC.

Main reason, due to the TRANS PROGRAM error on my drive recently. Was told that my transmission solenoids may be at fault (hopefully the gearbox is still healthy). So with the MODIC, I can know for sure which soleniod to change (if necessary).

Secondly, when I reset the oil change light with the diagnostic unit, I get an "E" reading from it. Managed to reset the oil lights, but the error still there. So while I am using the MODIC to check the gearbox, might as well use it to reset my alarms/errors as well.

Trying to kill 2 birds with one MODIC... :D ;)

Moots,

What are the side effects of this manual reset?? Wont it mean that the ECU no longer have any memory?? Will it even reset my milage too?? :unsure: :unsure:

Sorry if i asking silly questions, but i do worry abt the electronics in my car as i very not sufficient in electrical knowledges. :dunno: :dunno:

Thnx all.
OIC.... Actually, if you have a solenoid problem, it would be advisable to change both of them..why? coz the part of the solenoid is relative cheaper as compare to the part for the oil and the gasket. when you change the solenoid (cost about RM180 for an E36) you will need to change the Auto Transmission Oil and also the gasket every time you open it. (I think it would cost about RM300 or more).
hence it would be sensible to change both solenoid when one failed... Save the cost of the ATF and gasket in the long run..

BTW, I don't how much it cost you for your model..

Yes the modic can tell you which solenoid is faulty. It can also activate the solenoid individually...

Originally posted by erica34 @ Feb 21 2005@ 02:08 PM
e34 old car already, i wouldn't spend the extra 100 bucks for using that GT2 thing. don't know what logic gt2 more accurate than modic (vice the e34) since gt2 probably didn't exist during e34's lifetime...

I agree too, was asking him how the GT2 can help since my car is almost 10yrs old liao... he just mentioned that GT2 have the latest settings. But i suppose that MODIC hv the settings too, so it doesnt justify the extra 100 buckaroos.

Anyone ever did a diagnostic with MODIC, the costs??

Jarance,

Thnx for the advice, will change both of them if needed. But here's to hoping not the gearbox having problems la... :beaten:

Bro;
My advice go to BM World and Mr Arrrg Why will do the Modic test for free. If its need replacement he will recomend to you.............what about these crap charging customer for test.........................it should be free as value added service.................. :eek: . my 2 cents

Originally posted by 5201@Feb 21 2005, 01:44 PM

Moots,

Thnx all.
side effects -> nil -ve,only positive results and no it will not swipe out the main memory and no the mileage will not be reset.mileage memory resides in the instrument cluster.nah.....read...the beginning of the write up is in German.read the last part which is relevant to you....

clit 'ere

If you go to BM World, Ah Wai can diagnose which solenoid is faulty by energizing the solenoid individually and determine which solenoid is faulty. If if happen that your brake band solenoid is bad, it is a costly item. You really don't want to waste your money changing all of them unless you have the extra dough. You do need to drain all the ATF, open up the sump to do this properly. I did that for my ex-E36 once.

Hi Guys,

I was passing Mpower as my other half works there... so tot to ask abt this MODIC thingy lo... :ph34r: :ph34r:

I agree they dont seem to know much, or they are more keen to potong my neck (GT2 diagnostic for RM180!!! KNNCCB) :beaten: :beaten:

Was supposed to go to BMWorld Ahhh Why on Saturday with another forummer, need to postpone to this week lo... u know who u r.... :nyehehe: :nyehehe:

I suppose this Ah Wai is also the electrical expert as posted on other threads?? I read somewhere that there is another BMWorld, two of them.

Will head to Ah Wai, to re-post once hv news.

actually, my advise is go and see a few mechanics and judge with your self which mec is good..

my 2cents..

Yo 5201

I agree to that fact that you shud not be charged for resetting of ECU ! I never paid a dime for reset ! C'mom, its part of their value added service which they oredi input in their labour. So Mpower stands for Money PLEASE :angry: :angry: !!!! I really need to get a trusting mech, seems AH Wai - THE ONE !!! PM me 5201, can go together I need help on direction, I m in PJ !

Originally posted by ALBundy@Feb 21 2005, 04:24 PM
No offense, but I wouldnt even let Men Powder touch my car. To me, they dun even have the necessary experience with Modic2, what with GT1!!! I have seen Mr. NUTton calling BM Auto (rashid) on how to use the machine. I have been a Men Powder customer b4, and I know what they are truly capable of, which is not much.

Al
Hi all,
I happen to have X5 and also cabriolet 330ci.I was surprised by some of the comments here :eek: .I guess personal experience does not apply to all plus there are always two sides of a story :rolleyes: .
Recently,I had electronic suspension problem with my X5, which I took to a few places where I end up with nothing.In the end Nathan from M-power solve the problem with GT1.And I was there all the while and I did not notice Nathan having any problem with his system(some of you said he doesn't even know how to use it).The rates too were very reasonable compare to a lot of other places.
I have been a regular customer in M-power(8 yrs) and honestly speaking, these guys are dependable and very easy-going when it comes to rates.So, to some of you who commented as above, I believe you only know what you know from what you learn when you use to hang out day and night learning things from guys back in M-power.Therefore,I strongly think you are not in a position to say whether they(M-power) know anything. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

cabri332,
to put in the proper perspective about mechanics, most of them has solved most of customer complaints and other teething problems

some not :angry: :angry:

so the unsatisfied ones has a right to voice out :ph34r:

so for saying that they(forumers) not in the position to say anything about Mpower is not right comment !!

so it's a view of a disatisfied customer only... he has any right to say :hmmph:

I suppose that everyone is entitled to the right to hold their opinions, in the forums too.

Perhaps its the experiences that makes some workshop feel better to some than others. There are plenty of opinions about the right engine oils or petrols to use, so no one is absolutely right or wrong.

To say MenPowder is no good, but there are plenty of UDMs there.
To say MenPowder is good, but there are some drivers that hate them.

To each, his own poison. Perhaps they have warm up to cabri332 after 8 yrs (after all u did contribute plenty to his children's education fund), or cabri332 is just that rich to not worry abt cost of maintaining his UDMs. No malicious meanings here, cabri332.

All these forum postings are to be taken with a pinch of salt. I agree with Pussy to look arnd, ask for more than one opinion, make yr decision & live with it. That is also the purpose of these forums topics, just to get views from fellow UMDers. So everyone voice their opinion on workshops.

Didnt mean to start a flame thread.

Originally posted by cabri332@Feb 23 2005, 12:46 PM
I happen to have X5 and also cabriolet 330ci.
Cabri332...

Hmmm surely u r not the driver of a yellow cabri that is always arnd MenPowder, can u??? :nyehehe: :nyehehe:

Top Bottom