Rear Windscreen Greenish Color at Night

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

echoesian

Club Guest
Does anyone see this especially at night when lights from the cars behind show up? Wanna make sure is it a standard feature on the windscreen to allow light reflection to ease night driving or is it just the tint problem...

I think its not the windscreen, its the dimmable rear view mirror. Dims the lights from the car behind you at night so it doesnt dazzle your eyes. Standand feature since loonng ago, maybe the 90's. The side mirrors also have the same feature.

This is a standard feature in BMW with auto dimming rear view and wing mirror.. In some conti car like VW, you can opt to turn the rear view mirror with dimming feature via a button. Once activated it turns the headlight "greenish" from the rear view mirror.

You will get used to it and appreciate it especially some joker along the NS highway drive with high beam running down your rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The F30 dimming lights automatically comes on and there is no off button correct?

Mine still hurts my eyes sometimes which made me think it's not even on.

Unless of course you drive in the wrong direction, the only way you can see other headlights through your windscreen :) Skill!

Perhaps changing the rear to gangsta tint may help :)

No bimmer doesn't have on:eek:ff button. It's auto dimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haywire said:
I think its not the windscreen, its the dimmable rear view mirror. Dims the lights from the car behind you at night so it doesnt dazzle your eyes. Standand feature since loonng ago, maybe the 90's. The side mirrors also have the same feature.
If this is true, I found that the side wing mirrors does not dim so much as the color is not as greenish as the back windscreen...

echoesian said:
If this is true, I found that the side wing mirrors does not dim so much as the color is not as greenish as the back windscreen...
I think its auto dim for one of the side mirror...most likely the driver side if I'm not mistaken and the other side mirror is standard. Anyhow the side mirror doesn't dim as much as the rear mirror which led me to think that it isn't working sometimes

both side mirrors dim based on the same sensor on the rear view mirror. i found out the hard way by getting the side mirrors smashed by careless speedy biker. need to get mirror replacement is not fun especially BMW sells the entire mirror assembly and not just the mirror with the heating+dimming element. It costs over 2k for one side. Found mirror replacement on ebay for only a fraction of the price.

level of dimming can be affected with the kind of tint used on the rear windscreen and when you raise the rear sunshade, the mirror practically doesn't dim much unless there's a stadium of floodlights shining into your car.

seancorr said:
I think its auto dim for one of the side mirror...most likely the driver side if I'm not mistaken and the other side mirror is standard. Anyhow the side mirror doesn't dim as much as the rear mirror which led me to think that it isn't working sometimes

Mafulat said:
both side mirrors dim based on the same sensor on the rear view mirror. i found out the hard way by getting the side mirrors smashed by careless speedy biker. need to get mirror replacement is not fun especially BMW sells the entire mirror assembly and not just the mirror with the heating+dimming element. It costs over 2k for one side. Found mirror replacement on ebay for only a fraction of the price.

level of dimming can be affected with the kind of tint used on the rear windscreen and when you raise the rear sunshade, the mirror practically doesn't dim much unless there's a stadium of floodlights shining into your car.
Thanks bro for the info I forgot the tint does affect it and yeah I went to read the brochure again and its on both sides of the mirrors...my bad.

echoesian said:
Does anyone see this especially at night when lights from the cars behind show up? Wanna make sure is it a standard feature on the windscreen to allow light reflection to ease night driving or is it just the tint problem...
[SIZE=9pt]Normal MPV will not have this problem as the rear windscreen is quite vertical, but compare to slope rear windscreen for saloon car, this phenomena is very normal. I see it in many cars too.[/SIZE]

Top Bottom