Realised the most common !!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kennytan

Club Guest
Dear Master & Sifu,I am very interested about E46(318) or E39(520) and since I still keep sourching the best price of 2ndhand car with good condition.. Before the confirmation, I would like to get more information about the most problem of E46 & E39 models. Which is mean I want to know what is the most weakness of the parts as above? Can I know the major parts is always bring problem to E46 & E39 as following:1. Driveshaft?2. Powersteering?3. Absober?4. Radiator/Overheat? (I thinks is most common)5. Gearbox?6. Engine Moulding?7. Electronic Sensor?8. Aircond/Player?9. Wheels?10. Power Consumption for 318i(1.8 or 2.0)If anything missing as above, please dont forget to mentioned. For the market, I always heard there talking about the BMW about advantages & disadvantages such as BMW is advanced for suspension but worst of the overheated, Sensor sensitive, etc... I am sure this club is more accurate on what I need instead of I heard from those never drive/owned BMW cars. Currently, I found 2-unit I'm consider as 2001(Ph1CKD) or 2002CBU(Ph2CBU) located in KLAwaits your prompt reply !!

dear kenny beemers are advanced in most things..including suspension..some of those stuff u listed above will get damaged due to wear and tear..i suppose you have to really inspect the condition of the car b4 you decide...1 thing is 4 sure...once you get a beemer...you don't look back...i say go for it!

thsaw99;209215 said:
dear kenny beemers are advanced in most things..including suspension..some of those stuff u listed above will get damaged due to wear and tear..i suppose you have to really inspect the condition of the car b4 you decide...1 thing is 4 sure...once you get a beemer...you don't look back...i say go for it!

Thanks for replied with your confidence on it. So far, I found for sale with E46 which is including 17" & 18" sportrims. From original fixed with 15" rims suddenly convert to the 17" will effect any performance and problem such as underpower, easy tear of wear parts(shorter lifespan compare to the original).. etc ?

According to the Beemer has so many different facelift such as CKD, CBU(UK), CBU(JPN), CBU(AUS) etc... How to get understand facelift from Ph2 such as bumpers & foglight? Of course I knew the different for Ph1 & Ph2 depend the headlight & signal lamp. But cannot to differentiate which is found got different of bumper facelift for Ph2 model only.

Your English is giving me a headache. If this is confusing why dont you just choose the one that you think looks best? Doesnt matter facelifted, local or imported then, does it?

yeah dude just go get 1 that you think looks the best and bring along a mechanic friend to verify if you can

Now price for e39 is going down, kennytan go for e39, more comfortable unless u look for enjoyable of driving feeling, then choose e46.

bmw7833;209951 said:
Now price for e39 is going down, kennytan go for e39, more comfortable unless u look for enjoyable of driving feeling, then choose e46.

Yes, I knew E39 price cheaper than E46 but I am more concern to the out look & service maintainance. I beleive E46 parts problem will not more than E39... In here we talking for brand marque player, only 3-series can go for long-term favor instead of 5 & 7series... If I can choose E39 then why not I also can consider E240(1997)

kenny, at 1st you are comparing between a same marque, E46 and E39. So, putting a merc in don't make any senses.

as wat other forums said, 3 is sportier and small in cabin size. The 5 is more executive and larger in cabin size. Both cars handles different but don't underestimate the 5 as it handles very well.

you will appreciate a heavy car for it's dynamics over a lighter car. :) Just my 2 cents

Yes!! I totally agree with what elwin said. As what i know from few mechanics, actually e46 bring more problem compare to e39. U can refer to expert in BMW workshop, they will tell u the truth. U will appreciate e39 when u drive it..but not include 520i la..

Hi everyone, am newbiee here. Just got the UDM poisoned from my colleague and decided find out something here. Sorry for interupting and please allow me to make things a little bit more complicated...:p Since some forumers said the E46 actually had more problems than E39. Does that mean that E36 is worst ? Cause it's older and for technology wise the E46 should have overcome the problems for E36. Am i right ?

Forgive me kenny cause i've change your topic a little. :eek: The UDM drugs had started to take effect in my body and i'm thinking of getting an E36 as entry level. Hope all the sifus & master beemers here can help us out, and am agreed what you had said, no one can beat the opinion and suggestions of UDM drivers from this forum. Cheers:)

1st at all, welcum to our club.

e46 use more complicated technologies compare to e36..i dun think that e36 bring more problem than e46.

If u looking for e36, u can search inside the forum, few our members want to sell their e36 now.

H20,

Perhaps, you should start a new thread or follow Anxious thread. PM on his experience with E36 and his search. He should be able to guide you. Also do note, we have listed down the price spend on each members car in the forum. That would also give you some indication.

E36 is a 3rd generation 3 series which is build from 90 to 99. So, it's a 90(s) car where else the E46 is the 4th generation from 99 onwards, so it's a eary 2000 car.

So, both E36 and E46 will have their own pain and gain. :) Depending on your wallet, budget and affordability.

H20, start a new thread and I will chip in from there. I own a E36 too. ;)

Let me put it simply - If you want a vehicle with no problems, please don't even consider buying a car which has hundreds of mechanical and electronical parts - you might want to consider a bicycle or a 'Kereta Lembu':p ....

If its difficult to ride a bicycle or source for a Kereta Lembu these days and you still want a car - but with less problems - consider buying a Honda City / Vios BRAND NEW, dun even think of a 2nd Hand car :rolleyes: (and make sure you have extended warranty on it!!)

Well, if you want to drive a car that excites you (with all the complicated mechanical and electronic parts) - then lets talk about a continental german mark that is going to give you pleasure for every KM that you clock :cool: (be it an E46 or E39)... BUT get ready to manage some problems that may come your way.. Both equally can give you some problems and both equally might not give you any, if you maintain it well and dun abuse the car... - But if you're trying to find a USED continental car and in the same breath you're are asking for one with the no/less problems, :confused: then dude, you might want to consider seeing a bomoh that might be able to point you to this car.... and if you do find one - do share it with all of us (the bomoh I mean):D :D .... cheers and good luck in your search....:)

Silver;210366 said:
Let me put it simply - If you want a vehicle with no problems, please don't even consider buying a car which has hundreds of mechanical and electronical parts - you might want to consider a bicycle or a 'Kereta Lembu':p ....

If its difficult to ride a bicycle or source for a Kereta Lembu these days and you still want a car - but with less problems - consider buying a Honda City / Vios BRAND NEW, dun even think of a 2nd Hand car :rolleyes: (and make sure you have extended warranty on it!!)

Well, if you want to drive a car that excites you (with all the complicated mechanical and electronic parts) - then lets talk about a continental german mark that is going to give you pleasure for every KM that you clock :cool: (be it an E46 or E39)... BUT get ready to manage some problems that may come your way.. Both equally can give you some problems and both equally might not give you any, if you maintain it well and dun abuse the car... - But if you're trying to find a USED continental car and in the same breath you're are asking for one with the no/less problems, :confused: then dude, you might want to consider seeing a bomoh that might be able to point you to this car.... and if you do find one - do share it with all of us (the bomoh I mean):D :D .... cheers and good luck in your search....:)

Well said!!! I couldnt have put it better.

bmw7833;210156 said:
Yes!! I totally agree with what elwin said. As what i know from few mechanics, actually e46 bring more problem compare to e39. U can refer to expert in BMW workshop, they will tell u the truth. U will appreciate e39 when u drive it..but not include 520i la..

bmw7833,
You sure the E39 problem is less than E46? And what you mean that "except for 520i" instead of 523, 525, 528 etc...? Is it 520i has more problem like E46? So, which year started is safe & less problem to get E39? How about 1997 528i or 2000 523i(white signal lamp)?

Honestly, I'm ever use E39(528i) as for my wedding that time which is borrow from my best friend brother. I know the car is quite big and heavy... According the experience, I found this car very sensitive for everyway the sensor... Digital Display has showed many issued from the car such as brakes, ABS, heater etc... But once to send to the workshop inspection, all brake system is normal position & no problem found...

'Except for 520i' coz 520i is underpower..!! Even now i am driving 523i, i still feel not enough the engine power to carry this type 'GIANT CAR'. If ur budget allow u to buy the last batch of e39, then go ahead..otherwise 528i '96 is ok lor ( now price go down to RM5xK only)..

Wat Silver said is correct..imposible u can get a 2nd car without any problem or any initial repair need..

bmw7833;210515 said:
'Except for 520i' coz 520i is underpower..!! Even now i am driving 523i, i still feel not enough the engine power to carry this type 'GIANT CAR'. If ur budget allow u to buy the last batch of e39, then go ahead..otherwise 528i '96 is ok lor ( now price go down to RM5xK only)..

Wat Silver said is correct..imposible u can get a 2nd car without any problem or any initial repair need..

this forum have listing the maintaince cost for 5-series E39? I need sure the cost maintaince for those common wear & tear such as Brake pad, Disc Brake, Absober, Powersteering rack, all suspension etc....

bmw7833, which year of your car?

Go to search list..It has been discuss long time ago.

my machine born on year 1997.

bmw7833;210606 said:
Go to search list..It has been discuss long time ago.

my machine born on year 1997.

OIC... so yours will be Ph1 of E39... If not mistaken this car can be upgrade some accessories such as facelift to the Ph2 model... Hav eyou changed or upgrade someting to similar with Ph2 model such as headlamp, white signal lamp skirting, spoiler etc...? Will Cost you alot for the upgrading to standard Ph2?

Actually if u wan to save cost, then u change the headlamp and rear lamp enough lo..

Headlamp = SGD840, Rear lamp = SGD530 from Hella.

The car showing in the thumb is belongs to me..

Top Bottom