Questions about the 325

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

2wenty6

Club Guest
After almost a year of forum and classifieds stalking, I finally decided on the e36 (instead of an e30 :p) and got myself a '95 manual.So, right to the point. The oil change interval is up and I would like to change it myself. So halp me out with some answers to my questions please :love:1. I do not have an owner's manual so what's the oil weight (10W-40?) recommended for the m50b25TU for our climate? How many liters per change (6?)2. Semi-synthetic or synthetic?2. The factory manual..should be the Getrag 220 amirite? Whats the recommended transmission fluid for it?3. Is there somewhere I can get Royal Purple Synchromax in Malaysia?4. What's a good place that sells a wide range of DIY tools for automotive purposes? I tried ACE hardware in Midvalley but they don't have everything I need. The hydraulic jack they have looks pretty dismal in quality, and jack stands out of stock..5. Anywhere that take in the used engine oil?6. If my schedule permits..any e36 TT session I can join ah? :biggrin:Thank you in advance!Pics will be up soon...after a good wash and removal of wax on the trims caused by 'detailing' prior to my ownership...EDIT: Quick phone pic after a wash on Monday.
firstwash.jpg

2wenty6;631870 said:
After almost a year of forum and classifieds stalking, I finally decided on the e36 (instead of an e30 :p) and got myself a '95 manual.

So, right to the point. The oil change interval is up and I would like to change it myself. So halp me out with some answers to my questions please :love:

1. I do not have an owner's manual so what's the oil weight (10W-40?) recommended for the m50b25TU for our climate? How many liters per change (6?)

2. Semi-synthetic or synthetic?

2. The factory manual..should be the Getrag 220 amirite? Whats the recommended transmission fluid for it?

3. Is there somewhere I can get Royal Purple Synchromax in Malaysia?

4. What's a good place that sells a wide range of DIY tools for automotive purposes? I tried ACE hardware in Midvalley but they don't have everything I need. The hydraulic jack they have looks pretty dismal in quality, and jack stands out of stock..

5. Anywhere that take in the used engine oil?

6. If my schedule permits..any e36 TT session I can join ah? :biggrin:

Thank you in advance!

Pics will be up soon...after a good wash and removal of wax on the trims caused by 'detailing' prior to my ownership...

1. Not sure what's the original recommended oil weight you'll have to google it there might be info. For 6 cylinder engines it's around 6.5 litres.

2. Honestly this is a very subjective question. Some say for older engines you should use semi, some say fully is better so I think it's really up to you. I've used semi all this while because I don't like running the engine too long between service intervals. I like keeping the oil clean so I change it every 5000km.

3. No idea, maybe pussy can help with this.

4. Check with the workshop you frequent. I'm sure they have their own suppliers for this and should be able to help you out.

5. Also, check with the workshop. I've seen a truck that comes by once a week to the the workshop I go to and they empty the barrel where the used oil is stored.

6. I usually have TT with a few other E36 owners in Taman Tun Dr.Ismail on Fridays. You can join us if you want.

MTF or ATF in the manual box for our climate? Any preferred brand used widely here?

I'm using Torco manual transmission oil but I believe ATF is fine too. Most of my friends have been using Motul on their manual E36 and no reported problems.

I'm using Redline performance gearbox and axle fluid for my manual e36. So far so fine....

DEXRON oils matey..
last a bit more than the torco.. tried Torco when the mileage was at 173k, a bit rough when i maintain at the red line every time..
so i changed to Dexron.. n it seems ok after that..
Or maybe its just my feeling... =)

Alright, so the transmission fluid is pretty new huh? One less thing to do =D

Btw, were you using semi synthetic engine oil?

Got a question so I'm gonna post here instead of starting a new thread.

Today, while fueling up, the pump kept tripping as if the tank is already full. The remaining fuel is about a quarter tank left, and I made sure it was RON 95 I'm putting in. The pump trips before the first lock position, but I managed to fuel up by letting it flow slowly - any faster and the pump trips again.

Anybody encountered the same thing? What could be wrong?
Not the first time I experienced it on this car, and in my ex-e36 it happens on and off too. Usually when it happens it trips for a few times and after I get some petrol in there it will be able to flow normally. This time it just kept tripping..

2wenty6;636722 said:

Today, while fueling up, the pump kept tripping as if the tank is already full. The remaining fuel is about a quarter tank left, and I made sure it was RON 95 I'm putting in. The pump trips before the first lock position, but I managed to fuel up by letting it flow slowly - any faster and the pump trips again.

Not the first time I experienced it on this car, and in my ex-e36 it happens on and off too. Usually when it happens it trips for a few times and after I get some petrol in there it will be able to flow normally. This time it just kept tripping..

Happens to make everytime, gotta hold the trigger myself.

Whats up with that?

Chrix;636736 said:
Happens to make everytime, gotta hold the trigger myself.

Whats up with that?

I have no clue..well at least we're not alone :p
Hopefully somebody can chime in soon enough.. It is quite annoying, and the stares of confusion from people on the next pump :stupid:

2wenty6;636722 said:

Normal fix on all car that have that issue - put in the nozzle fully in, and pull out a bit slightly. Sometimes even near to the flap thing in the fuel filler hole, but make sure not to the point of it spilling out. Normally works for me to get fast flow without tripping.

haywire;638628 said:
Normal fix on all car that have that issue - put in the nozzle fully in, and pull out a bit slightly. Sometimes even near to the flap thing in the fuel filler hole, but make sure not to the point of it spilling out. Normally works for me to get fast flow without tripping.

Will try that on my next fuel-up. Just wondering, will it trip when the tank is full, or do I have to estimate how much petrol I can put in?

2wenty6;638668 said:
Will try that on my next fuel-up. Just wondering, will it trip when the tank is full, or do I have to estimate how much petrol I can put in?

Of course will trip once full. dont worry.

Top Bottom