query

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Yee Sang

Club Guest
I got a 85 E30 auto with an engine problem. When car just started in morning or when engine is cool, no problem. Engine run smooth. When normal driving and engine run at normal temp, and or stop at traffic lights , the tapping sound come when press throttle. mechanic had tuned the engine and no result.use premium petrolcar not under heavy loadthermostat shows engine temp is normal.had top overhaul the engine year ago.change all vacum hoses and water hoses, fan clutch too.water pump is reasonable old.Is part of my engine overheating?The kind of sound produced is like the old Proton Taxi engine..Any expert out there who can help before i take it to the mechanic?

had the same problem when i did my top end overhaul last 5years..... the guy forgot to adjust the valve tappets (like kevster said).....
also bear in mind that the tappets must be adjusted when they are cold, meaning leave the car overnight then the next morning adjust the tappets

like this....

E30_valve_eccentric.jpg

& this....
E30_valve_cover_gasket.jpg

but it pays to get a second opinion..... :yes:

need more to realy determine condition

it may sound like engine running alittle too lean

tapping sound maybe engine knocking or pinging

problematic parts are
1. airflow meter
2. fuel regulator

does your car start up well in the mornings?
how many times does the engine crank before it starts?

can you do a simple test?

1. switch the ignition 5 times before you actually crank the engine
2. ensure you give about 4 seconds in between key switches
3. does the car start faster or is it still the same

....will wait for your reply here.....

One crank and its vroom......no problem with cold start. When drive in the morning the car is perfect/power. But when normal temp in a hot day, sound is very noticable, especially stop at traffic light. Also feel car lost power when accer too. I believe somewhere in the engine part is over heating. Can it be not the valves sound? Any of the vacumm hoses plugged proper places? water pump?

Radiator not overheating - temp normal.

mechanic had done and tuned the engine to optimum.

sounds like the valve tappets, but a few other items to check

1. oil pressure low
2. have you changed your oil filter recently?
3. are your spark plugs the correct ratings?

if you can get your mechanic to adjust your valve tappets, and at the same time check out your rocker arms, and the rocker arm shafts

rocker arms and shaft can be inspected when warm, just measure freeplay and sitting adjustment, your mech will or should knowq what to do and how much wear the rockers have been through

Hi Yee Sang,

My bro has an E30.So I'll share an experience we've had with his E30.
But firstly,ur description is still not very clear till we stand by ur car and listen to it.So here goes...

a) On the first occassion,there was this tapping noise from his engine when it's at normal temp.Some mechanics told that it could be the tappets,a/c pump bearing,altenator bearing,conrod bearing,piston slapping, one of the plug wires are leaking when it's hot and so on....till someone even suggested to overhaul the engine.
As the noise came only from the top of the engine and when it's hot,I suggested to him to change the engine oil...especially after he told me he poured in one of the engine treatment...somehow it disturbed the engine oil's viscosity causing the oil pressure to drop when it's hot and not really lubricating the top.
He serviced the car and the problem went away.

Hope this helps...Btw, what's ur idle in the morning and during the normal temperature? If possible,join one of the tt sessions here and there are a lot of sifus here who can help u if they could listen to ur car. :yes:

Originally posted by kevster30@Mar 10 2005, 02:05 PM
Sound like you need to readjust your valves(tappets).
Kev,
Can do on M40 engine kah?
Was told that M40 engines has hydrolic lifters instead of rockers, thus cant be adjusted. Is this true?

Yee Sang, I think u are rite. Is over heat problem. Coz i have the same problem. :huh: But my is manual transmission. So the problem not that serious. That why i am thinking to change the fan to electric fan. Anybody done it before??? Any advice from si fu out there??? Thanks!!!!

Originally posted by MTek1318@Mar 11 2005, 06:31 PM
Thanks Fab...btw, what to be done? :unsure:
got to let you mech diagnose whether it is really the lifter noise or it's the noisy injectors..

If it's lifters, the last time I enquired, it was RM50 per piece...

i have heard of hydraulic lifters being modified/changed/subsituted with mechanical adjustable ones, but since i don't have much info, maybe others can clarify......

imagine having twin cams and rockes cost rm$50 each....aiyo...!!!!

yee sang,
to clarify, if your engine is running too lean, there will be an increase in temperature, so the tuning maybe off, or to much advance etc.....hope you can update us on your findings, but have to personally hear the sound, so can't really confirm

if you can confirm which part is over heating, let us know too

Couple of things I want to mention:

I got a 320i car. Is this a M40 engine?

Tell you I had changed these components when this problem started
water pump
new fan clutch
radiator was beyond repaired-changed
all vacumm and water hoses
distribition cables.

one thing I dont know if the mechanic check is the oil pressure and pump.

Overheating was what the mechanic said. shall i put in a fuel additive for trial 1. clean the injectors and 2 for fuel to burn better.

you have to hear the tapping sound when u r driving and since this is an automatic gear as it change gear its distinctive. Noisy or faulty Injectors? I dont know.

oh yes..i forget to tell..when i push the throttle (speed) to reach 4000rpm the sound is so clear like a "rattle" noise. The rattle noise come only at that rpm. It disappeared when I push it higher. Shit what can this be?

If engine tune too advance, rpm up - noise is worse. car at idling is 1000rpm wheather cold or normal temp. At idling the engine sound perfect.

engine oil (mineral based) changed according to schedule. no additive.

What have I left out?

phew.......the plot thickens

you mention distributer cables, and vaccum hoses

there maybe a possibility the vacccum hoses not connected proper, and yes, your engine conditions sounds very much like a pinging sound, too much advance

i believe yours is L-jet, if it is, the distributor can be turned less for more retard, and this can be verified by a timing light aimed at the front pulley, which has a mark,- i forgot where it is

if yours is a motronic, hmmm.....i have to see and hear this sound before further diagnose, don't wanna give false/wrong advise

ok, my is a M20 engine. L-Jetronic system. tuned and retarded up to optimum. Anyway I will send to a different workshop for a second opinion. Will report back.

Top Bottom