Preventive Maintenance: O2 Sensor

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

anxious

Club Guest
I am currently getting about 380km b/w fill ups.( I normally fill up when the light comes on). I do mostly town driving. I can get 100km more on highway driving. The car is smooth, no problem. However as my car has done more than 100k km, I was thinking whether its time for a new O2 sensor. If so how much would one cost? Would it improve my fuel consumption? Thanks

Hi Han2u,
His model E36 325....

Hi anxious,
I have the same dilemma too...mine 328..year97 and with full tank can get only 350km (town use)

I think it should cost around RM750(+-) for one, we have 2 in our cars... how to tell if it needs replacement? Did an OBDII full check on Saturday.. both sensors were showing readings of 4.88(+-)... is this reading considered healthy??

Im getting about 400 - 440KM's on my 328 at the moment on full tank, only use VPower, city use, 18" wheels.. heavy right footer!!

If you do replace, just replace the upstream O2 sensor. (and keep the old one for later use)
If downstream sensor goes bad, move upstream-O2 to downstream-O2,and get a new one for upstream sensor.
Reason: upstream sensor detech your engine running condition, while downstream check to make sure you CAT is working.

Majority of O2 sensor can last up to 160k (100k miles). I would leave it alone for now :)
You can see improvement on your fuel mileage when new O2 sensors are replaced.
But gas at RM2.15 now, it won't justified the RM750 for a new sensor.

Cheers.

sachseelan;371216 said:
I think it should cost around RM750(+-) for one, we have 2 in our cars... how to tell if it needs replacement? Did an OBDII full check on Saturday.. both sensors were showing readings of 4.88(+-)... is this reading considered healthy??

Im getting about 400 - 440KM's on my 328 at the moment on full tank, only use VPower, city use, 18" wheels.. heavy right footer!!

wow...that good millege with 18' and heavy right footer... mine with 17' and slow driver managed only 350KM..hhrrmmmm

sachseelan;371216 said:

wow...that is good millege with 18' and heavy right footer... mine with 17' and slow driver managed only 350KM..hhrrmmmm

Does the O2 sensor only for 96 model onwards? only? Mine with 17" inch n heavy right footer:

kl- kemaman: 350 km : RM 80
kemaman to T intan, perak: 550km : RM120
Kemaman to singapore : 500 Km : Rm120
thats was my regular trip , my fuel expences during the trip for my 325 and drive mcm pelesit..
its look like rm50 can go to 200km at any kind of drive.

p/s: all you guys dont fill up tank until penuh,nanti kereta jadi berat.. fuel pun cpt habis lorr, and i left my spare tyre at home..

firdaus325;371280 said:
all you guys dont fill up tank until penuh,nanti kereta jadi berat.. fuel pun cpt habis lorr, and i left my spare tyre at home..

True.
But time is money.
I save more money by spending less time filling up, queue up, and finding a gas station :)
Finding and driving to gas station need gas too

firdaus325;371280 said:
p/s: all you guys dont fill up tank until penuh,nanti kereta jadi berat.. fuel pun cpt habis lorr, and i left my spare tyre at home..

my tank is usually between 1/4 - 3/4.... no more no less... :top:

so, geoffrey, you did replace the O2 ?
how much it cost ?
how's the FC improvement ?

Changing the O2 sensor will improve fuel consumption if it is faulty.

If it is not faulty, you are wasting your money.

The 02 sensor will feedback the oxygen level to the Engine Management System. i.e. it telling
how effcient the engine is firing by detecting the O2 level. If it too rich, it will reduce the fuel injection,
if it too poor, it will increase the fuel injection. It will also take into account the fuel throttle position and the
air flow (via AFM or MAF).

In the event of O2 sensor failure, the EMS will use a default value and allow you to limp to your mechanic
without having to "breakdown" along the road.

Yes, your modic can detect an O2 sensor problem. If modic say no problem, then don't touch it.

However, sometimes modic say O2 problem but that is not very true.

Want to increase FC, inflat your tyres properly.. LOL

or don't use car...

firdaus325;371280 said:
Does the O2 sensor only for 96 model onwards? only? Mine with 17" inch n heavy right footer:

kl- kemaman: 350 km : RM 80
kemaman to T intan, perak: 550km : RM120
Kemaman to singapore : 500 Km : Rm120
thats was my regular trip , my fuel expences during the trip for my 325 and drive mcm pelesit..
its look like rm50 can go to 200km at any kind of drive.

Hi Firdaus,

I drive to kemaman regularly, from Shah Alam to Awana Kijal 372 KM at 140 +- I do at about RM 32.56 at 8.8 Liters per 100KM. With one full tank I can go to kemaman and back untill Termerloh. Of cause If I get stuck in a Jam, then I do about 11.2 Liters per 100KM.

cheers

turbology;371619 said:
so, geoffrey, you did replace the O2 ?
how much it cost ?
how's the FC improvement ?

I did change my O2 sensors after MODIC detect its faulty even after I tried to clean it with carburator cleaner.

With new O2 sensor in place.. engine is more lively plus my FC improved by 30%

turbology;371458 said:
True.
But time is money.
I save more money by spending less time filling up, queue up, and finding a gas station :)
Finding and driving to gas station need gas too

Thats just taking the phrase "time is money" a little too seriously....

anxious;371118 said:
I am currently getting about 380km b/w fill ups.( I normally fill up when the light comes on).

I do mostly town driving. I can get 100km more on highway driving.

The car is smooth, no problem.

However as my car has done more than 100k km, I was thinking whether its time for a new O2 sensor.

If so how much would one cost?

Would it improve my fuel consumption?

Thanks

Anxious,

I was told to avoid filling up petrol only when the light comes on. Try to fill somewhere 1/4 left or something coz ensuring sufficient petrol can prolong the life of the fuel pump.

$100 per pump should keep you exactly between 1/4 - 3/4... can keep me going for exactly 7 days before next pump...

Top Bottom