Preventive Maintenance For E34

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

masterjeya

Club Guest
Hi FriendsNeed some advice from the experienced members on whether your mechanics do preventive maintenance on your cars. I mean things like advising on replacement of hoses and belts from visual inspection , instead of waiting for something to give way before they do it. I find this 'crisis' method very bad, as the car tends to breakdown at the most inconvenient spots! Anyone used FD Jaya Motor in Jalan Petaling Utama , Old Klang Road? Pls let me know as I was planning to give them a try as I find my current mechanic uses the 'crisis' method , probably because he does all types of cars , not just BMW's . Any other recommendation would be welcome, thanks .

Originally posted by masterjeya@Apr 7 2005, 10:30 PM
Hi Friends

Need some advice from the experienced members on whether your mechanics do preventive maintenance on your cars. I mean things like advising on replacement of hoses and belts from visual inspection , instead of waiting for something to give way before they do it. I find this 'crisis' method very bad, as the car tends to breakdown at the most inconvenient spots!

Anyone used FD Jaya Motor in Jalan Petaling Utama , Old Klang Road? Pls let me know as I was planning to give them a try as I find my current mechanic uses the 'crisis' method , probably because he does all types of cars , not just BMW's . Any other recommendation would be welcome, thanks .
Master,
i understand your trouble. A car breaking down during the most important time is a trauma. You can stick to one mechanic or two. Like my case I have two one of them should be near your house or office. Then they should know what to do with your car as they have all the history what you have changed and need to change in your car.

so, masterjaya.. you are back..

yup, you can do the preventive maintenance.. look for a thread by one of the forumers regarding your car model.. pm him and he will e-mail to you .. good stuff.

regards.

pussy@neropussy

Some simple PM writeups in www.bmwe34.net (Bruno's site). Have a look.

Some basic tips I can offer.
1) Hoses : Big water hoses gets brittle and hard with age. Squeeze them, if they pop back quickly they are ok. Or not replace them. Look for vacumn leaks. Check the clamps at the end of each one. Do NOT overtighten, slight resistance and they are ok. Hose-end nipple has a notch to prevent them from slipping out. So not too tight please.

2) Fluids. BRake fliud, flush/change every year. They are hygroscopic and till loose effectiveness with ages, especially with sun/rain conditions. Motor oil, change every 5000 kms. Filter change alternatively if you feel it is too expensive. Best to change both together!. Radiator, flush yearly as well. Make sure reservior is not too low level. Do not fill to top. Coolant and Distilled water (WIlkins or Watsons water) 50:50 mix. top up with distilled water only. Not tap water, not filtered water!.

3) Belts. If belts squeaks, they need to be replaced. Also, do to tension too much. Just right with 1 cm play if you push them down from straight. Too tight and they will not buge when you push the centre section between 2 pulleys. Over tigthen belts will NOT last. Too loose and they may snap out and cause overheating or engine/radiator damage!.

Do not be afraid to drive your car hard occationally to redline shift. They are built really tough and will not break, unless you seriously over-rev a manual.
Enjoy your car.

Some simple PM writeups in www.bmwe34.net (Bruno's site). Have a look.

Some basic tips I can offer.
1) Hoses : Big water hoses gets brittle and hard with age. Squeeze them, if they pop back quickly they are ok. Or not replace them. Look for vacumn leaks. Check the clamps at the end of each one. Do NOT overtighten, slight resistance and they are ok. Hose-end nipple has a notch to prevent them from slipping out. So not too tight please.

2) Fluids. BRake fliud, flush/change every year. They are hygroscopic and till loose effectiveness with ages, especially with sun/rain conditions. Motor oil, change every 5000 kms. Filter change alternatively if you feel it is too expensive. Best to change both together!. Radiator, flush yearly as well. Make sure reservior is not too low level. Do not fill to top. Coolant and Distilled water (WIlkins or Watsons water) 50:50 mix. top up with distilled water only. Not tap water, not filtered water!.

3) Belts. If belts squeaks, they need to be replaced. Also, do to tension too much. Just right with 1 cm play if you push them down from straight. Too tight and they will not buge when you push the centre section between 2 pulleys. Over tigthen belts will NOT last. Too loose and they may snap out and cause overheating or engine/radiator damage!.

Do not be afraid to drive your car hard occationally to redline shift. They are built really tough and will not break, unless you seriously over-rev a manual.
Enjoy your car.

Thanks for the advice, it is very useful for someone like me who is not mechanically inclined!

Jeya Apu, I will list down the water pump and thermostat as two critical items that should be replaced within every two years together with the water hoses. I wouldnt blame the mechanic as the onus is on us to tell them what to replace. Of course if you ask the mechanic, he will tell you a list of things to replace. If you are talking about preventive maintenance, there is plenty to do. For example, do you replace the absorbers, bushes, belts, alternators, microfilter, fuel pump, light bulbs and etc....PERIODICALLY??? That's preventive maintenance! Preventive maintenance is not engine oil and filter replacement service, come to think about it that is required normal servicing!!

Now most of us only replace parts when it fails and if you are on a bad patch, if it fail at the worse time possible.

Cheers :)

first thing i ever did when i got my car was changing the fuel hoses... didn't plan to... simply bcos someone (another customer) at the workshop where i was servicing the car advised me to do so, so i just do only lah... bmw owners all braders mah, what for he cheat me...

fuel hoses? Change the fuel filter as it get clogged up pretty easily. :)

Originally posted by ALBundy@May 4 2005, 04:46 PM
fuel hoses? Change the fuel filter as it get clogged up pretty easily. :)
fark man, don't recall ever changing the fuel filter... actually the feller who recommend me to change to fuel hoses is a drebar (bcos he's wearing drebar uniform)... i agak-agak he sure know what he's talking about since got experience take his boss' 7-series and S-class to workshop for repair... maybe kena fuel hoses bocor before luckily car never explode so he kind hearted advise me because i offer him cigarette... hehe

The primary Fuel filter for E34 is mount near the real axle ( have to jack up car to see ). I personally think this is not a good place as it is expose to dirt, water and damaging stone hits etc. Thus, it's good to check on it and the connecting hoses occasionally.

If you have the opportunity to open up your fuel tank to access to the fuel pump ( located inside top right hand corner of boot ), check on the filter mesh bag mounted just at the suction tip of the fuel pump for clog. And since you already open up your tank, you might as well clear all the sentiment inside. ( I was surprise by the amount of sand and even iron fillings inside mine!!! )

Also check the electrical connectors esp in the engine bay, for loose connections and oxidisation. Need to clean them with contact cleaner. Imagine you are out partying till 3am, tipsy headed and your car won't start just because of a loose or poor connection in the electrical system somewhere.....

As Albundy has said, there are too many things you can do to your car in the preventive maintenance context. And some of them you may have to do it yourself... just for the fun of getting your fingers greasy and maybe save a dollar or two.

Actually, changing fuel hoses is a good idea and is fairly cheap. You see, our fuel lines gets 3.5 bar of pressure and if there is a leak or burst, engine fire could result!. Has happened in the US to several people. So, keep a portable fire extinguisher under the driver seat!.

The idea is to do a visual inspection and squeeze the hoses just for the feel. If they are brittle and does not bounce back quick, then its time for new hoses. Fuel filter easy to change. Make sure the orientation is correct!. Follow the arrow of fuel flow.

Top Bottom