Power Window Anti-Trap Failure - Quick Fix

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

WPC

Club Guest
Just to share should you have this problem.Two days ago when starting my E60, the dreaded warning tone sounded followed by message "Side Window Anti-Trap Failure". Alamak what now??? Checked and found out that the driver side window one-touch up/down not working anymore. Although still can pakai but getting irrited every time start car the warning tone will welcome me and message remain on. Aiyah looks like another visit to workshop when free. Worried if dun fix, the next thing maybe window can open but cannot close then die.Searched the net and found this is not uncommon. There is a simple fix if the problem is not with the motor or other moving parts. The first thing you should try before sending to workshop. From the 5 series.net forum:1) Turn ignition to 'ON' position (some cars need to start engine)2) At the 'problem' window, press the switch until the window go down(open) completely, release switch.3) Now, press the switch (harder like how you want to activate one-touch)and this time hold it there for 17 seconds. This 17 seconds is the key.4) Once you reach 17 seconds, release the switch and immediately pull (like what you would do to close window) the switch and hold there until...5) The window will go up, down and up again OR you will hear a beep (all the while you must still hold on to the switch).6) After 5) happens, then you release the switch and the failure should be fixed.I started my engine, tried the above steps and at 5), I heard a beep (my window didn't go up/down/up).At the beep, I released the button, my warning triangle sign went off. All was back to normal. It really worked, perfectly.It seems this method works for all windows and some even said it worked when their window cannot close or cannot open at all.

Yup...same thing happened to me as well. As it happens, I was also due for regular service at Ah Meng. He did something similar and problem solved. I was relieved since I thought "oh oh, here goes another RM1000++" when problem first occurred. :)

alxy;474793 said:
Yup...same thing happened to me as well. As it happens, I was also due for regular service at Ah Meng. He did something similar and problem solved. I was relieved since I thought "oh oh, here goes another RM1000++" when problem first occurred. :)

Not bad this Ah Meng oso know about it. Which workshop is this? I was also so relieved as I thought sure kena dunno how much if send to workshop. I still can't solve the other fault though. Every morning start car message "high rate of battery discharge" will appear. Sent workshop 4-5 times oredi, each time come back ok but happen again after a few days...real mystery. I check voltage every few days but all appears normal. Around 13-14V after driving, then around 12.5 next morning.

Any sifus can advise?

Kenny/Ah Meng's workshop is M-Speed. Well known among quite a few of the forummers here.

Your "high voltage discharge" problem might be due to a faulty sensor. Better get it looked into just in case fault happens to be a real one. I also have one message "Low engine oil level" coming up once in a while. But when checked, engine oil level seems to be OK. So could be sensor also. Then again, I had another alarm last time which was something like "Charging fault". I ignored that and one day my car stalled due to a faulty alternator. So better safe than sorry....

WPC, my
Will try on my X3 as last night when I power my window down rear passeger site it did not go up as usual and can hear motor sound? Now still down & open?
So how to solve this problem?

Philleppefr;476079 said:
WPC, my
Will try on my X3 as last night when I power my window down rear passeger site it did not go up as usual and can hear motor sound? Now still down & open?
So how to solve this problem?

Got motor sound maybe more serious...did you try it? Yr problem solved yet?

alxy;475663 said:
Kenny/Ah Meng's workshop is M-Speed. Well known among quite a few of the forummers here.

Your "high voltage discharge" problem might be due to a faulty sensor. Better get it looked into just in case fault happens to be a real one. I also have one message "Low engine oil level" coming up once in a while. But when checked, engine oil level seems to be OK. So could be sensor also. Then again, I had another alarm last time which was something like "Charging fault". I ignored that and one day my car stalled due to a faulty alternator. So better safe than sorry....

I've taken to workshop 3-4 times oredi, each time come back ok then happens again. The last visit, the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) was replaced, good for a week then started again. So after that I monitored the battery voltage level daily (night after parking and morning before starting) with multimeter. Seems normal as morning before starting is always around 12.25V so there's no excessive drain. Still can't figure out why.

Top Bottom