Poor Fuel Consumption on E32?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Eggie86

Club Guest
Hey guys,Just wanna canvass some opinions. Had been reading the E38 FC thread with much interest, and pretty much impressed and definitely in awe of the mileage claimed by most of you on a full tank of fuel.Just wanna chip in with my observation. Very recently, I noticed that I've been refilling my E32 730i even before reaching more than 350 miles on the trip meter. This works out to roughly less than 563 kms per 3/4s tank of fuel. My preference is to always pump when petrol needle touches 1/4. So, is it normal for the rather high FC on my part? Last Sunday morning, I topped up fuel again after barely reaching 330 Miles on 3/4 tank [531kms]. Previously I've been using RON 95, for about a year or so, before recently changing to V Power 97. After changing, I felt that the FC has risen a lot. Similar driving style, not too aggressive for the past 2 weeks due to increased occurrences of speed traps and road blocks, but with occasional highway driving [on NPE], topping out at 140km once in awhile. For the past week, it's more of a combi of heading from Subang to Damansara via Fed Highway and LDP, and occasionally visiting Kuchai Lama. Not really lengthy journeys, but still, I find myself increasingly being concerned about the lower mileage per tank.So, I suppose I would need to return to using RON 95 fuel again?

wow.. very good mileage la yours..

mine only 495kms per full tank 73liters with Ron 95...lastime was 420km per full tank..

yours is good enough...

Dear Eggie86 ,
My E32 730iL year 1988 Fuel Consumption .
Used Ron 97 rm130.00 for 550km
from Puncak Alam - karak - betong - kuala lipis - gua musang - kuala kerai - kota baharu .
non stop engine no refueling .
3 adult 2 children full bonnet with bag .
reach kota bharu still petrol left around 10 to 20 ringgit .
can u teach me how to used OBD .

m.azharm5;559359 said:
Dear Eggie86 ,
My E32 730iL year 1988 Fuel Consumption .
Used Ron 97 rm130.00 for 550km
from Puncak Alam - karak - betong - kuala lipis - gua musang - kuala kerai - kota baharu .
non stop engine no refueling .
3 adult 2 children full bonnet with bag .
reach kota bharu still petrol left around 10 to 20 ringgit .
can u teach me how to used OBD .

Hey bro, thanks for your contribution. Lotsa highway driving huh? When I drove to Alor Setar late last year, also filled up twice, to and fro. Very happy with FC that time. :D

The OBD on board my car, I honestly have no clue how to use and set. So far only use it to set time & date.

pussy;559355 said:

mine only 495kms per full tank 73liters with Ron 95...lastime was 420km per full tank..

yours is good enough...

Wow, serious? 495km roughly about 308 miles. Probably leaden foot driving? Haha. I'm driving to conserve the lifespan of the gearbox. Already spent so much maintaining the car. :D

Now trying to figure out ways to increase mileage on the E32.

Hi Eggie,

Thanks for the info. I can assure you that this has nothing to do with the RON you use. Take my word when I tell you that RON is only on knocking effect i.e. combustable grade of fuel and to some extent, emissions. It will not help a single bit on consumption. However, the additives in the RON97 fuel you use may help...for e.g. Shell Vpower vs Shell regular fuel one at 97 the other at 95, the diff is in the additives used

It is a complete myth that a pure RON argument with all else being equal will do anything for FC or power. I don't buy it, seeing that I work for an oil company.

Hope this helps to clear the air.

ssmann;559370 said:
Hi Eggie,

Thanks for the info. I can assure you that this has nothing to do with the RON you use. Take my word when I tell you that RON is only on knocking effect i.e. combustable grade of fuel and to some extent, emissions. It will not help a single bit on consumption. However, the additives in the RON97 fuel you use may help...for e.g. Shell Vpower vs Shell regular fuel one at 97 the other at 95, the diff is in the additives used

It is a complete myth that a pure RON argument with all else being equal will do anything for FC or power. I don't buy it, seeing that I work for an oil company.

Hope this helps to clear the air.

Thanks a lot. Like I previously mentioned some time ago, actually it's all in the mind right? The first time I swapped 95 for VPR97, I felt the car was way better. Haha. Picked up quicker, exhaust sounded raspier than usual, overtaking was a breeze; then after a few more fill-ups, I only realised, that it was because I sorta believed the 'hype' that V Power was a more powerful fuel, with additives.

Pain caused, wallet wise. But I doubt I'll make the switch back to 95 again for the time being.

Guess I only wanted the fuel to behave the way I wanted it to be... :D

i would recommend u to try BHP... as it gives me better mileage for my e34. just my 2 cents.

Iqlima;559454 said:
Eggie86 , you have good FC .

Iylia H;559463 said:
i would recommend u to try BHP... as it gives me better mileage for my e34. just my 2 cents.

Thanks guys. Always thought that my fuel consumption was a wee bit on the high side. :D I've tried filling up with BHP 95 before. Can't really recall what the effect was. Had always been a Shell user.

pussy;559355 said:

yours is good enough...

Hi Eggie,

Think yours is ok..my consumption is 600km for 85L,mix of highway & town driving..RON95.

Did comparison test btw RON97 & RON95..minimal difference in FC but more pain in cost..he he..

But then again my standard speed on highway is 160kmh..:p

Cheers :)

gregcwho;559909 said:
Hi Eggie,

Think yours is ok..my consumption is 600km for 85L,mix of highway & town driving..RON95.

Did comparison test btw RON97 & RON95..minimal difference in FC but more pain in cost..he he..

But then again my standard speed on highway is 160kmh..:p

Thanks for your feedback Greg. You're driving an e38 or E32?

Wow, 85L fuel tank, that's not a standard fuel tank for E32 right? Mine's roughly about 70-75L I think.

Highway driving I rarely reach such heady heights. Usually cruise around 120-140km. Mine old junk. :D

Eggie86;559972 said:
Thanks for your feedback Greg. You're driving an e38 or E32?

Wow, 85L fuel tank, that's not a standard fuel tank for E32 right? Mine's roughly about 70-75L I think.

Highway driving I rarely reach such heady heights. Usually cruise around 120-140km. Mine old junk. :D

Hi Eggie,

Mine's E32 730iL..prob full tank capacity when tank up max after fuel low light comes on..that also push it for another 50km or so.. :)

Think if unlucky one of these days will run out of petrol by roadside..ha ha ha.. :p

Normally cruise 140kmh if on holiday with family but a lot of times trying to make flight at KLIA Sepang..hence 160kmh... :D

Taken the car to 200kmh+ also running south to SG but that's at 4am..rempiting with Camry 2.4.. :D

gregcwho;560035 said:
Hi Eggie,

Mine's E32 730iL..prob full tank capacity when tank up max after fuel low light comes on..that also push it for another 50km or so.. :)

Think if unlucky one of these days will run out of petrol by roadside..ha ha ha.. :p

Normally cruise 140kmh if on holiday with family but a lot of times trying to make flight at KLIA Sepang..hence 160kmh... :D

Taken the car to 200kmh+ also running south to SG but that's at 4am..rempiting with Camry 2.4.. :D

Ooh, iL version. Our fuel capacity ought to be the same then. Never really tried waiting till the fuel light comes on before refueling. Almost always start to look for petrol station whenever reach 1/4 tank. Haha. Phobia I guess of seeing the dreaded red light. :D

Wow, your car must be in pretty good shape. My accelerator's kinda heavy, so not really conducive for lengthy outstation drives cos my feet gets tired. Hahaha. Besides, kickdown pretty much suck when already > 130km/hr, unless engage sport mode. Now, once Sports Mode engaged, that's another story! Hehe. The thrill I get when I see the revs rise like mad and car suddenly felt like it got a huge kick up the backsides. :D

You're one brave soul bro! Fastest I've taken my E32 also, less than 170km. :D

Salute you man! :top:

Hi Eggie,

Thanks bro! But that time I was just minding my own business at 160 when the Camry cucuk..mentang mentang new model Camry..left him for dead..think I went to 220 or 230..then I slowed down & let him overtake again..noticed if I maintain abt 185-190 can easily keep him at bay..anyway got bored after that so let him go & maintain 160 again..but my FC parah lor..FC evened out over the entire trip,just lost about 50-60km only..:)

Engine was still in good condition when I bought it over..lucky me..

One of these days we TT buy you a drink..

Eggie86;559318 said:
Hey guys,

Just wanna canvass some opinions. Had been reading the E38 FC thread with much interest, and pretty much impressed and definitely in awe of the mileage claimed by most of you on a full tank of fuel.

Just wanna chip in with my observation. Very recently, I noticed that I've been refilling my E32 730i even before reaching more than 350 miles on the trip meter. This works out to roughly less than 563 kms per 3/4s tank of fuel. My preference is to always pump when petrol needle touches 1/4. So, is it normal for the rather high FC on my part? Last Sunday morning, I topped up fuel again after barely reaching 330 Miles on 3/4 tank [531kms].

Previously I've been using RON 95, for about a year or so, before recently changing to V Power 97. After changing, I felt that the FC has risen a lot. Similar driving style, not too aggressive for the past 2 weeks due to increased occurrences of speed traps and road blocks, but with occasional highway driving [on NPE], topping out at 140km once in awhile. For the past week, it's more of a combi of heading from Subang to Damansara via Fed Highway and LDP, and occasionally visiting Kuchai Lama. Not really lengthy journeys, but still, I find myself increasingly being concerned about the lower mileage per tank.

So, I suppose I would need to return to using RON 95 fuel again?

Your OBC not show your FC ?

gregcwho;560469 said:
Hi Eggie,

Thanks bro! But that time I was just minding my own business at 160 when the Camry cucuk..mentang mentang new model Camry..left him for dead..think I went to 220 or 230..then I slowed down & let him overtake again..noticed if I maintain abt 185-190 can easily keep him at bay..anyway got bored after that so let him go & maintain 160 again..but my FC parah lor..FC evened out over the entire trip,just lost about 50-60km only..:)

Engine was still in good condition when I bought it over..lucky me..

One of these days we TT buy you a drink..

Hey Greg. No problems. Aha, feeling frisky that time eh?

Anyways, how many miles have you covered on your E32? Mine's almost reaching 240K miles. :D

Always wanted to join the TT for 7s, but so far, other commitments have arose which made me unable to show up. But looking at all those pics, and of course, sharing a common interest in the 7s, be it the E32s, or E38s, does sound highly appealing! :top:

Ur fuel consumption is good. Mine is an E32 730i 1987 car, engine never overhauled before, FC is roughly 5.5km/liter city driving, 60-65 liters get me to approximately 200 miles only, and this has been the case 6 years back since I got the car

Top Bottom