Piggyback system

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chewkies

Club Guest
Hi,Anybody can tell me where to do a piggyback system for E30 318i. Issit SMT 6 or SMT 7 better?What's the price of each????Thanks

keep it stock.... B)

Kinaka...dun go copy and paste here.

even myself still in daze about engine mapping. Do you think you know ur stuff.

Not as simple as you think.

Keep It stock.

This what bmw did for us...regardless any engine.

They optimize everything for you....

and you still dont know how to tell me where the flat spot is from your car.

There are a few things you need to know, need to have and need to ask yourself before getting a piggyback ecu.

1. Do i have the patients?
2. Do i have the time to tune the ecu?
3. Do i know how to tune the ecu?
4. Do i know how to tell if my car is running rich or lean?
5. Do i have a laptop?
6. Do i understand the fundamentals of installing a piggyback ecu along with its components?
7. Do i know how to callibrate the throttle cable, pedal, throttle body?
8. Do i know what is TPS and how it works?
9. What is a wideband oxygen sensor, what is it for? why do we need it? what is the bmw lambda sensor for?

aiyooh i tired i ll continue later....going for dinner

Originally posted by Zoggee@Mar 7 2006, 08:20 PM
This what bmw did for us...regardless any engine.

They optimize everything for you....

and you still dont know how to tell me where the flat spot is from your car.
no chance...

Originally posted by skar19@Mar 7 2006, 07:31 PM
There are a few things you need to know, need to have and need to ask yourself before getting a piggyback ecu.

1. Do i have the patients?
2. Do i have the time to tune the ecu?
3. Do i know how to tune the ecu?
4. Do i know how to tell if my car is running rich or lean?
5. Do i have a laptop?
6. Do i understand the fundamentals of installing a piggyback ecu along with its components?
7. Do i know how to callibrate the throttle cable, pedal, throttle body?
8. Do i know what is TPS and how it works?
9. What is a wideband oxygen sensor, what is it for? why do we need it? what is the bmw lambda sensor for?

aiyooh i tired i ll continue later....going for dinner
lemme tr and answer....

1. no.....thats why i have skar and zoggee to shout at when i loose my patience

2.no.....thats why skar and zoggee is around to tune

3.no....i get skar and zoggee to do it

4.no...only thing i know rich is my pocket/or my storeroom where i keep all the e30/e36/e46 goodies, anyway, i got skar and zoggee to tell me

5.no need.....borrow skardic or zodic, better than any tuning laptop.....

6. no need......i have skar and zoggee to brief me while i eat my siew pow and yamcha

7. yes of course, very simple, as skar and zoggee showed me 100 times already

8. eh.....just call skar or zoggee.....TPS is tai pau siew...?

9. my car old wan, dont need any new things , anyway got skar and zoggee to advise

aiyo.....now hapto belanja skar and zoggee dinner , pokai liao....... :eek: :eek:

skar, zoggee, teejay and kinaka.. and chewkies.. :D

pls tell me what do u guys think..

1) flashing the ecu would alter the 'working parameters' of the engine, towards better performance/fuel consumption? true/false

2) piggyback basically try to achieve the same objective? true/false

3) if i were to get, say, superchips/hiop ecu flash, the base mapping wud be 'altered' permanently? true/false

4) any piggyback tuner wud be able to 'read' the existing settings of any car, as well as chipped cars? true/false

5) he can then program the piggyback to get similar/better settings? in other words, ciplak the settings of chipped cars? true/false

6) the car wouldnt adapt to the new settings by the piggyback as it continuously sends the 'modded' signals to the car's ori ecu? true/false

chiowzz... :lazy:

Originally posted by adliz@Mar 8 2006, 12:00 AM
skar, zoggee, teejay and kinaka.. and chewkies.. :D

pls tell me what do u guys think..

1) flashing the ecu would alter the 'working parameters' of the engine, towards better performance/fuel consumption? true/false

2) piggyback basically try to achieve the same objective? true/false

3) if i were to get, say, superchips/hiop ecu flash, the base mapping wud be 'altered' permanently? true/false

4) any piggyback tuner wud be able to 'read' the existing settings of any car, as well as chipped cars? true/false

5) he can then program the piggyback to get similar/better settings? in other words, ciplak the settings of chipped cars? true/false

6) the car wouldnt adapt to the new settings by the piggyback as it continuously sends the 'modded' signals to the car's ori ecu? true/false

chiowzz... :lazy:

1. true if point 6 holds and remains constant

2. true, but it depends on the type of the piggy back....some piggy backs are better and can have more inputs/outputs and some are so so only....

3. dunno, i havent tried yet....can someone pls share....sounds interesting

4. false but sometimes can be true, if they are well versed enough with a particular brand that then it would be better....but again, its hard to say, alot of trial and error + alot of dyno time required to find the "optimum" setup

5. hahaha.....subjective lar this question....

6. false...for e46, smt 6 really has problems.....the frequency on the output doesnt match the frequency the ecu is on.....so therefore, causing it to "hang" and return to stock setup....

smt 6 also does not allow retarding the timing ignition on the e46 ecu....due to that....very limited capabilities....

ah, but fueling, can adjust.....

btw, out of topic.....

anyone wants to buy my SMT 6.... not sure whats the market price now.....

PM me for details..........

adam,

sooo deeep lar......

will sleep over it for a few days.....now blur liao......

hahaha....

10. What MAF sensor should i use?
11. Does tuning in the day or night make a difference?
12. How much does it cost to tune at workshop which has a dyno?
13. How many dyno runs would i have to do?
14. How much fuel and toll would i have to pay?
15. Is my oxygen sensor working?
16. What is the benefit of installing a SMT6?
17. Some idiot told me i would gain 30bhp from this mod..should i believe his dumb ass??
18. Do i know what i want out of a SMT6?
19. Why should i get SMT6, Are there other brands?
20. Would the SMT6 compliment other performance parts added to the engine?
21. Do i need to retune if i change to a different gearbox?
22. Do i need to retune if i change my rear diff ratio?
23. What is the optimum operating temperature of my engine?

AND finally

24. Does any of the above matter?

Originally posted by chewkies@Mar 7 2006, 05:04 PM
Hi,
Anybody can tell me where to do a piggyback system for E30 318i. Issit SMT 6 or SMT 7 better?What's the price of each????
Thanks
SMT6 is good enuf for most cars. SMT7 has added features which most cars wouldn't be using. SMT6 is about RM1600-1800. Depending on the price increase, if any.

I installed it myself (DIY)
Tuned myself
only thing left to be done is to add in the MAF...

whoa...!!!! This is fun....and e"j"ucative.

In short...I got my SMT6 cos I mod too much. And the responsiveness from the MAF conversion is good.

but as for Chewkies car....no need wan.

Why not get the BMP MAF Split Second Conversion. No need to twig anything from stock ECU. I've seen it in KWS(M30B35) E34....mahai!!!! :blink: very good man....very good!!!! B)

Not much of a power gain to get from SMT6....its good but dun get cheated if you dun understand what is piggyback system.

Originally posted by Zoggee@Mar 8 2006, 10:32 AM
whoa...!!!! This is fun....and e"j"ucative.

In short...I got my SMT6 cos I mod too much. And the responsiveness from the MAF conversion is good.

but as for Chewkies car....no need wan.

Why not get the BMP MAF Split Second Conversion. No need to twig anything from stock ECU. I've seen it in KWS(M30B35) E34....mahai!!!! :blink: very good man....very good!!!! B)

Not much of a power gain to get from SMT6....its good but dun get cheated if you dun understand what is piggyback system.
Ok Zoggee my fren...what is a BMP MAF Split Second Conversion???
just treat me as a kid in this whole aspect... :)

Top Bottom