Pakatan to table radical solution to reduce car taxes?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Hii Fab, i agree on fuel subsidy as i think its still affordable ...

I only wish they re-visit roadtax and toll structure.. aiya what re-visit, just copy from others will do...

As i doubt AP holders will let go easy their wealth made and to come ...

Needless to mention income tax and tax on profit also bit gila ... the fine for late payment lagi lagi mental...

Eggie86;604926 said:
Sooner or later, might just end up leaving the roundel cos cannot afford paying for fuel, and the annual road tax... Just boggles my mind really. We're already paying so much in terms of road tax and fuel for our admittedly, 'older' vehicles, and yet...

I'm just speechless la bro...

I shiver at the thought of not being able to enjoy driving BMWs anymore, all because of the ever-spiralling prices of everything.

yes, very true.. i m thinking... petrol RM800x12 + roadtax RM2019 + service, etc, RM1500 + new tyres RM1300.00 + insurance 1st party RM 750.00 = RM22,369.00 a year..that's not including tol average RM68.00 a month..

sucks man...

pussy;604952 said:
yes, very true.. i m thinking... petrol RM800x12 + roadtax RM2019 + service, etc, RM1500 + new tyres RM1300.00 + insurance 1st party RM 750.00 = RM22,369.00 a year..that's not including tol average RM68.00 a month..

sucks man...

800 a month??? wow that's a lot my average spending on fuel rarely goes above 500 - 600 (RON97) a month and i travel on average 25k - 28k km a year ... Anyways i believe that current structure of road tax must be changed. Newer cars need to be tax more while cars that are more than 5 or 10 years old must have a different structure. Like bro eggie said older 3.0 car should be paying lower tax as compared to a brand new 3.0

B33mEr;604983 said:
800 a month??? wow that's a lot my average spending on fuel rarely goes above 500 - 600 (RON97) a month and i travel on average 25k - 28k km a year ... Anyways i believe that current structure of road tax must be changed. Newer cars need to be tax more while cars that are more than 5 or 10 years old must have a different structure. Like bro eggie said older 3.0 car should be paying lower tax as compared to a brand new 3.0

Agreed wholeheartedly with B33MER. So, your E46 330i should be taxed more than my E32 then? :D

wont happen la. whoever takes over the govt, how to cut off a big portion of your income? there must be a replacement for the loss of income. let's see what the 'radical' solution is.

bloody shit thing is that i'm paying a whole lot of roadtax for crap roads and big potholes everywhere.

pussy;604952 said:

sucks man...

Hmm, seems that we're paying loads of money for a car that's close to 20-25 years of age... Petrol wise, sure, the increase will be a burden, but like many had said, I'd rather reduce the subsidies on the fuel. But this can only work if there's a corresponding drop in the road tax regime. After all, insurers also feel reluctant to give 1st party coverage to an old car like mine.

And yes, the toll charges. Imagine la, nowadays if wanna travel to KL via Subang, Federal Highway is perenially congested especially from Sunway exit towards Mid Valley... Then for convenience and the chance to cut down on travelling time, using the NPE to head to KL.. Already RM 1.60 X 2, then if use SMART, another RM 2.. RM 5.20 already... :(

Then occasionally travel outstation for visits to missus' family, toll here, toll there. Seems like for now, get to enjoy light traffic on LEKAS, but won't be long before others get round to using it...

Anyways, sorry, got carried away there...

1. Our roadtax structure is definitely outdated and needs a revision. With the strict emission requirements in Europe and America, most manufacturers are opting for engine downsizing and coupled it with forced induction which means smaller engines but producing similar performance like the bigger NA engines. A friend bought the Golf 1.4TSi and happily told me the roadtax is RM70 bucks a year!!! And given the toll charges we Klang Valley folks are paying, why should we be paying ROAD TAX???? And let's not talk about our potholed ridden roads...

2. Have anyone read Yamin Vong's CBT editorial write up last weekend? This AP thing is bad, bad and baddddd....

The waiting list for hybrid cars like Prius and Insight is getting longer and longer as there is a reduction of APs for even UMW Toyota and Honda Malaysia, and there is an increase in the number of open APs issued!!! There is no proper logic or rationale as to why proper principal dealers are being denied the right to bring in the number of cars they can sell, and increase the number of Open APs. Perhaps these AP holders have more lobbying power with MITI or Datuk Mukhriz Mahathir.

It also doesn't make sense to have an AP system given that it is abused to the hilt and most AP holders are selling it or involved in Ali Baba schemes which inadvertently the cost is pass back to the consumers resulting in higher car prices!!

3. Lower car prices may not mean lower revenue collection for the government and worse traffic jams on the road.
Australia is a good case study. There are many that bought used cars or holding on to their old jalopy, and if these folks are buying new cars, it will more than make up for the lower taxes imposed. Most of the households here have 2 cars minimum, some 3 if the kids are grown up. If one owns 5-6 cars, not all the cars will be on the road as there are still only 2 drivers mainly husband and wife. You will need just about a bigger garage, or we will see more cars park at the road shoulders :)

Eggie86;604985 said:
Agreed wholeheartedly with B33MER. So, your E46 330i should be taxed more than my E32 then? :D

Hahahahahaha ... yes lah but just a bit more cos my e46 is no spring chicken hahahahahahaha

pakatan can say one thing during campaign and do otherwise when they win.

In Kedah, the PAS government promised in the election campaign to ABOLISH all parking charges in the state if they win (not happened), give RM1000 each to all housewifes (not happened), reduce water bills (gone the other way, they INCREASED the water price recently) and few other things.

Saying things now doesnt mean it can be done later when they are in power.

Cakap tak sarupa bikin.

haywire;605013 said:

In Kedah, the PAS government promised in the election campaign to ABOLISH all parking charges in the state if they win (not happened), give RM1000 each to all housewifes (not happened), reduce water bills (gone the other way, they INCREASED the water price recently) and few other things.

Cakap tak sarupa bikin.

Quite right.

Action ALWAYS speak louder than words.

haywire;605013 said:

Cakap tak sarupa bikin.

bro 2 years and without federal support....of course its tough....

how about 50 over years of bn? pj/kl is FULL of tolls in the first place before pakatan anyhow..they can do wonders but its hard to make miracles, that is to mend mistakes made over 50 years overnight? ...

anyway its food for thought la...no political biasness in forums la :) hahhaha

cheers bro haywire.

anyhow....all political parties make ordinary citizens suffer..semua pun dua kali lima...

its just trying to choose the lessor of 2 evils..

I just hope that whoever is in power after the next GE will have the political will power to fix what is wrong in Malaysia and really put the rakyat first before anything else. Be it BN/UMNO or Pakatan or whatever la. Wishful thinking I know but one can always hope right... :)

B33mEr;604983 said:

yes la.. mine V8 3.0L with a 90L tank..hehehe..

Should people be encouraged to use new car or old car? This Road Tax can be used as an effective instrument to influence the result.

pussy;605240 said:

Wow, V8. Is your fuel tank larger than the earlier E32 models? Haha. I rarely let the fuel gauge dip below 1/4 tank before filling up... Mine cost around RM 700 per month, using 97 too. @_@

pussy;605240 said:

Wow, V8. Is your fuel tank larger than the earlier E32 models? Haha. I rarely let the fuel gauge dip below 1/4 tank before filling up... Mine costs around RM 700 per month, using 97 too. @_@

astroboy;605271 said:
Should people be encouraged to use new car or old car? This Road Tax can be used as an effective instrument to influence the result.

can't afford New Bmw :)

If the duty and taxes are just removed overnite, the finance companies will collapse. It is best to do the so gradually, one way is to return a certain percentage of the tax and duties paid for the existing cars based on the age which can be used to as discounts on the tax/duty for new car. At the sametime, the tax/duty reduced gradually over 5-8 years.
Petrol subsidy should gradually be reduced as well. As for APs , the money should go to the government and will almost be useless when the tax/duties are greatly reduced or abolished.

It will take time and a lot of political will. It is not too late the get Malaysia back into the auto industry bigtime.

At the sametime , dig 2 big graves for you know who. And that someone will get an heart attack, may need a 3rd or can share.

Eggie86;605274 said:
Wow, V8. Is your fuel tank larger than the earlier E32 models? Haha. I rarely let the fuel gauge dip below 1/4 tank before filling up... Mine costs around RM 700 per month, using 97 too. @_@

Bro when your car was manufactured there was no 97 petrol, so you can use the cheap 95 just fine.

Top Bottom