Oxygen Sensor?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

mika

Club Guest
Hi guys,sorry for opening a new thread.would like to clarify, does Oxygen Sensor(O2 sensor) = Airflow Sensor?

02 sensor is different from Airflow sensor (MAF). Do a goggle search and find out for yourself what are the dfferences and it's specific applications.

O2 sensor are sensor to measure the oxygen level after it is exhausted from the engine. based on the reading,
it will tell the ECU how well is the combustion. i.e. too rich or too lean. The ECU will then adjust the amount of
fuel injection to get the optimum firing.

Air flow is measured by the MAF which tell the ECU how much air is flowing into the engine.
The MAF also measure the temperature of the cold air as well.

i found this on a website.

Sensor(s) 1 indicate the front sensors near the manifolds of the engine. These sensors monitor the fuel and air ratio and the computer will make adjustments to the engine to compensate for a bad sensor. With that in mind, just because a sensor code triggered the MIL in the BMW E39, does not mean the sensor is bad. Rich or lean fuel codes may indicate a more serious problem with the engine that the sensor simply detected. Sensor(s) 2 indicate the post catalytic converter sensors and monitor the emissions after the converters. Bank 1 and Bank 2 indicate the different exhaust streams that the sensors are located in. Bank 1 usually indicates the position of the first cylinder, in which case is located on the passenger side of the BMW E39. Bank 2 is the driver's side. If a sensor has failed to transmit data, a faulty voltage in the sensor could be to blame and would condemn the sensor. However, as mentioned, if the code detects a performance issue in the engine that points to an oxygen sensor (such as lean or rich fuel mix), replacing the sensor may only temporarily solve the problem, if at all, and may inevitably damage the sensor replacement. The sensor may be trying to communicate that there's a problem with the engine performance, but has not yet compromised the sensor itself. If left unattended, the problem could compound and damage the sensor and even the catalytic converter(s).

Read more: How to Check BMW E39 Oxygen Sensors | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5074603_check-bmw-oxygen-sensors.html#ixzz1rW18rsto

Hi Guys,

Just a question in regards to the O2 sensor. I read that the O2 sensor will deteriorate after years of usage and affect the fuel consumption of the car, is there a way to determine if the sensors are still in good condition other than waiting for the check engine light to come on? I'm trying to improve the fuel efficiency of my car, I'm averaging 12-13l/100km currently.

jerryc;736124 said:
Hi Guys,

Just a question in regards to the O2 sensor. I read that the O2 sensor will deteriorate after years of usage and affect the fuel consumption of the car, is there a way to determine if the sensors are still in good condition other than waiting for the check engine light to come on? I'm trying to improve the fuel efficiency of my car, I'm averaging 12-13l/100km currently.

I've replace my O2 sensor last week after running 119k km. Your are right when you said that O2 sensor is deteriorating over times and become less efficient in translating data collected from exhaust emission system. For my M54 engine there are two O2 sensor ie pre cat and post cat. I've detected faulty of my post cat sensor after do the computer diagnosis. it cost me RM640 in KB. Now it feels smoother.....

zulyus;736152 said:
I've replace my O2 sensor last week after running 119k km. Your are right when you said that O2 sensor is deteriorating over times and become less efficient in translating data collected from exhaust emission system. For my M54 engine there are two O2 sensor ie pre cat and post cat. I've detected faulty of my post cat sensor after do the computer diagnosis. it cost me RM640 in KB. Now it feels smoother.....

Your car actually have 4 O2 sensors. 2 pre cat and 2 post cats.

30.png

If I've not mistaken, the post cat sensors are just to guage if the cats are working properly, whereas the pre-cat sensors are used by the ECU for fuel trip control during closed loop operation, can anyone confirm this? and that I should only replace the pre-cat sensors for my intentions?

zulyus;736187 said:
Banyak nyr.......I thought it is just two:burnout:

Bro jerryc is correct. No need to change the post cat ones as it only monitors the efficiency of the catalytic converters. Doesn't affect the consumption or the running of the engine.

Your butt dyno may be faulty...hehehe

haywire;736189 said:
Bro jerryc is correct. No need to change the post cat ones as it only monitors the efficiency of the catalytic converters. Doesn't affect the consumption or the running of the engine.

Your butt dyno may be faulty...hehehe

Actually I just acquire this car last week. My ride is running 119k km already. So as my new toy I sent it for full checking and diagnosis. Initially I planned to replace most of the sensor including camshaft and crank sensor but was advised by the workshop not to waste my money for unnecessary things. I've read in your posting that you have changed both camshaft and crank sensor. How much does it cost and do you feel any different on your ride?

Top Bottom