Over heating

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

crusher

Club Guest
Just now stuck in a jam, my water temp reading goes up to 3/4 mark. Fast fast get out of jam, notice that when driving the needle go back to middle. This never happened before. Stop the car for a while, check the water , it is normal ,no coolant lost. Actually changed the water hoses couple of weeks ago so the coolant is new and I believe the mech (Optimum) knows about bleeding.Just took to my normal mech (Non-bmw) and he says possibly radiator blocked , need to clean or flush it. So seeking advise, should i take to back to Optimum for their diagnosis or go ahead with radiator cleaning?

hi crusher....this is a very common problem with e36...your temp meter indicator above center mark.. when car start to move again (more air flow) it is back to normal reading....right??? you perform a presure test...most likely u hv a small leak (back of engine) at the Y-shape water pipes (plactic piece). just it out...and let me know...gdluck

Thanks, I had some pipes changed not so long ago. DOnt know if that is one of them. Maybe have to bring back to Optimum.

Check your fan too. It could be running at below optimum speed thus causing overheat when stationary.... :(

Seems like could be any number of reasons :) maybe better to let a BMW mech look at it.

The fan that is behind the front grill is not spinning? Shouldnt it spin even when stationary?

It will spin but when the fan clutch is old, it won't spin fast enough. Best to get a mech to check.
Never delay when it comes to overheating

I encountered similar problem in my E39 a few years back, it was the faulty thermostat that is the cause, in my case. Why don't you check yours too. Hope this helps.

affan66;751599 said:
It will spin but when the fan clutch is old, it won't spin fast enough. Best to get a mech to check.
Never delay when it comes to overheating

I replaced my fan clutch after the symptom persisted a few times..the big fan did not spin fast enough..the issue was solved eversince i changed it.

While u are at it. Change the radiator cap. Common problem for pressure lost.

Checklist
- all water hose
- thermostat
- clutch/electronic fan
- aux fan switch (supposed to assist the clutch fan when temp too high)
- last but not least, check of your radiator is chocked.

Cheers,
Kim

hi crusher, after you have completed ur cooling system overhaul, you will note that the temp meter normal operating temp is at this positionView attachment 25142View attachment 25143 in a very hot day or heavy jam,,the most is at center point. i have overhaul mine 4 years ago...most of the time temp is below center point..gdluck and keep in touch

My car also overheat last year. Just aux fan relay problem which made the aux fan not working. After clean the relay contact, no more overheat problem for me.

ntslaca;751829 said:
hi crusher, after you have completed ur cooling system overhaul, you will note that the temp meter normal operating temp is at this positionView attachment 25142View attachment 25143 in a very hot day or heavy jam,,the most is at center point. i have overhaul mine 4 years ago...most of the time temp is below center point..gdluck and keep in touch

hai bro ntscla, long time no hear from u la... dontwant ur parts meh...hehehehe bro now suda sifu in e36 ya....good news man..btw bro crusher my 325 the neadle oso in the midle in heavly trafic jem or in normal cruise... bring back ur ride to optimum n redo cheking ...

As I thought, the aux fan is not spinning. Faulty fuse. After change, back to normal again :eek:

the disaster of e36 was its cooling system. u can belasah the engine and gearbox till the end. but this cooling system A-Z is really shit. i dunno the german use the nuclear
reactor coolant system then transfer the technolocy to their bimmer..

crusher;751960 said:
As I thought, the aux fan is not spinning. Faulty fuse. After change, back to normal again :eek:

glad that your ordeal is being rectified for a minor faulty fuse rather then some major failure ...enjoy ya ride then

i also have the same problem.. what i usually do is stop the car and whack the radiator fan until it starts spinning.. not a very good way but it works.. so i think i might need to change the clutch also.. how much it cost? the waterpump, thermostat all i have changed.

I think most likely you need to change the fan, either it is not spinning or spinning too slowly. Check the maintenance thread , can find the approx. price.

If anyone needs it, I have a brand new fan clutch bought from Bavarian Auto that I end up not needing.
I was having the same issue and thought it was my mechanical fan, but it turned out to be the auxiliary fan motor that was busted.

Top Bottom