Orbiter, DA & rotary polisher?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

wiranoob

Club Guest
Dear Sifus,I'm very new in auto detailing.Can you roughly explain what is the different between these products? also, can you recommend any good DA machines , preferbly the most affordable and good performance, and where can i buy it? Finally, is DA machine is good enough for polishing scratches, finishing and waxing (all in one)?Thanx alot...

check with kc.. you should have attend his demo at ampang park on the 20th march (sat).

All the above equipment were use. Apparently the rotary polisher give the best result but dangerous in the unskill hand.

he was there, but the entire universe was fighting for kc's attention haha...

wiranoob;504439 said:
Dear Sifus,

I'm very new in auto detailing.Can you roughly explain what is the different between these products? also, can you recommend any good DA machines , preferbly the most affordable and good performance, and where can i buy it? Finally, is DA machine is good enough for polishing scratches, finishing and waxing (all in one)?

Thanx alot...
here is a good explanations from seech

Quote:
Originally Posted by e39touring View Post
Thank you to all the enthusiastic detailers (especially Jack). Very informative. Enjoyed the hands on session. Those heavy machines, woah! you guys made it look so easy to use. I have few questions though. If the polishing process require use of machine, and you encourage us to do it ourself, does this mean that we need to invest in those machines? Which one do you suggest for beginners?
Many thanks
No worries bro. Glad I could help.

As for your question, I suppose it depends on what you want to achieve. I would not recommend that you start with a rotary unless you are planning to do plenty of serious paint corrections, compounding, etc. etc. However, if this is the way you want to go then by all means, go out and buy one and practice, practice, practice.

For a start a ROB (Random Orbit Buffer) such as a Bosch GEX-270AE (old model) or the GEX-125AE (new model), just make sure you get the one with variable speed control. The fixed speed model is called the GEX-125A. This machine is more than enough to polish a car and remove light paint defects. If you take care of the paint from the start then this should be all you would need.

I do not really recommend the other cheaper buffers on the market as they lack the power and the attachment to change various pads.

One of the first cars that I detail was with the GEX-270AE and the results were fantastic.

Check out the link below to see what can be done with just a ROB:
http://prodetailing.blogspot.com/200...ar-detail.html

After you familiarize yourself with the ROB and its capabilities then you can consider getting a rotary. Even after you get a rotary the ROB will still be useful to achieve a hologram free finish on really soft paint or to spread wax so it does not go to waste.

There are many other factors to consider after this such as pads, products, etc.

Hmmm.... maybe we should organize another smaller clinic to discuss these very issues for those that are interested to get started.

Please do PM me if you need to find out more information before you make a decision.
\

some of the hand on machine yesterday
ROB

2010_03200057.JPG

tada ...less than minutes upgraded to Rotary

2010_03200061.JPG

one more thing...when i brought all the above machine...no body was there to guide me & explaine...i brought what i tot is the most value for $....buy one after another ......ended up buying the everything.....

eg

I tot..i can detail this by Rob
2010_03200054.JPG

nope...it doesnt have enough cutting power to correct...
see the 50/50..as the RIDs is too severe & fequently swirls up by road side car wash

2010_03200058.JPG

ta da

2010_03200087.JPG

2010_03200119.JPG

let me know if u like to try out alll these machine...be glad to have another hands on

Thanx Bro... another question is...how do we polish the faded plastic cover of the car headlight and taillight? do we need to apply any wax after polish it? any good product to recommend for this? thanx

Actually this picture illustrates the main difference between an ROB and a rotary.

2010_03200057.JPG

2010_03200058.JPG

The strip in the middle was taped off so that is the condition of the original paint. The top portion was done by my new friend with a ROB while I did the bottom portion with a rotary.

As you can see, the ROB did correct some of the minor paint defects but was unable to deal with the more severe problem which required a rotary. If your car isn't in this bad a condition, a ROB should be more than sufficient.

wiranoob;504670 said:
Thanx Bro... another question is...how do we polish the faded plastic cover of the car headlight and taillight? do we need to apply any wax after polish it? any good product to recommend for this? thanx

practically the plastic oxidised
u may want to try to sand off.....then polish off....

pls use a variety of sand paper....1200 then 1500 then finish off 2000

otherwise the sanding mark is too deep to remove..by hand or rotary

then to slow down this aging process..pls continue to wax or sealant it regulary...as the UV coated has run off

i think newbies should be educated on the risk of burning paint off and making it worst if unsure about the use of machines (RO or rotary). sanding and all should be left to those who have more experience.

ah lian;504854 said:
i think newbies should be educated on the risk of burning paint off and making it worst if unsure about the use of machines (RO or rotary). sanding and all should be left to those who have more experience.

dear Ms Lian

Good suggestion, everybody need to learn to walk 1st before run...

i got myself a Rotary, i think every pro uses it & i brought one & started on my own car (zero knowledge), didnt knew that i can actually buy a scrape hood to punch...

Going to a driving range prior to the course is ideally good, at least u know how to swing....no doubt about it & u need to hit at least 200 shots...to get the feel...

a good swing would need at least 10,000 hours....thats why makes some pro so prefect

how much time r u willing to go.....

i would suggest u to get one, rm 20 one, but as you can see, even 1st timer, tried on ROB & minutes later Rotary....it is not easy, but I & many other guys pick it too..

same thing goes with sanding...no body taught me except internet....therefore i am willing to share it for free..as i got it for free

the best thing on detailing
No 100 hours lesson required prior flying on the rotary ...all u need is a passion & a bit of patience

let me know if you want another hand on session, be glad to have another session

will there be a Bantai the Van II workshop?

i bought one long time back which i found i din know how to use, and its been gathering dust since under the staircase... together with all the bottles of stuff which the contents has since separated...

maybe i shud put dat up for sale... to gungho ones.

ah lian;504892 said:

i bought one long time back which i found i din know how to use, and its been gathering dust since under the staircase... together with all the bottles of stuff which the contents has since separated...

Ah Lian, you wait in the line with 100 people hor.. I have trying to get the sifu to bantai my car also.. :listen:

dun misunderstand, dear unker jarance, i am not queuing for the chance to get my car done for free...

"Bantai the Van" is a delightful experience last carried out by some enthusiasts some time back. ;)

ah lian;504901 said:
dun misunderstand, dear unker jarance, i am not queuing for the chance to get my car done for free...

"Bantai the Van" is a delightful experience last carried out by some enthusiasts some time back. ;)

If you have the tools, I think kc have a "spare" boot for you to practice your skill. :listen:

ah lian;504892 said:

nope dont discard or give it up....lets arange another session for those who have the machine but dun know how to start

lets make it happen

Thanks for the post KC bro. Sorry I wasn't able to attend the detailing roadshow at Ampang Park last weekend.

Looks as though many fans [old & young included] are finally getting to grips with the joys of detailing. :D

Haha. Anyways, currently using a simple B&D ROB, so far so good. But after usage, hands tend to get a bit numbish. Probably from the constant vibration. :p

Top Bottom