Opinion needed on F01 and F02 models

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Stevemax

Club Guest
Dear forumers I'm new here, my humble apologies to start with a long thread. I need opinion from fellow forumers on F01 and F02 models. Thingking to Change from my previous E240 (03) to a BMW. I feel E240 is grossly underpowered so moving on to a bigger hp car. Initial thoughts were 535i. My wife suggested a 7 would be more appropriate for 6 of us. The size of 7 is not my thing, so a SWB version (F01) maybe a good compromise. Further I like the interior of 7. I cant afford brand new, used or recond + OPAL warranty is what I'm looking at. Based on spec, F01 740i's , twin turbo engine puts up a impressive acceleration of 6s. Reviews are good too. However only imported recond's available, limited choice, no rear entertainment - something my kids will enjoy for long drive. Found a few and may test drive.Prices for 2009 F02 740Li local and recond are attractive with rear entertainment, more choice. The extra length is a concern especially at some basement tight parking spaces. May compromise handling too.I also found a showroom / event used F02 730Li with full brand new like warranty and service package, latest spec and interior at attractive price. It's non turbo engine doesn't have the power of 740i, will the car may feel heavy with max torque starting at 2600 rpm. This car may give a satisfaction of a "brand new" car and peace of mind.In practical use how different are 740i / 740li vs 730li ? Does the turbo engine delivers smooth acceleration and handling vs non turbo.I regretted choosing E240 , without much knowledge on power and acceleration. Dont want repeat the same mistake again. Never a BMW owner is there anything else I should look into.I value all your opinion.thanks

hello steve.. welcome to the highest!! hahahah..

if it is a 7.. it got to be 740Li.. you will be surprised the handling is still better than any e class right now. 730Li i would have to say is still a driving pleasure.. for an entry level owner. i reckon if you can, you should think about the 750Li. sorry that i am a bit biased as having owned 2 of this beauties.. oops... just 1.. (just sold off my 740iL this week) its the real deal. you do not want a & series that is a drag on teh highway. 200KMH has to be effortless and wifey still snoring away.

i have driven the 740Li and my comment is that the power is limited. its still a 3 litre turbocharged. Wherelse the 750Li .. the big boy is a 4.4 twin turbo. Now you can argue all you want, but there is no replacement for displacement.

Reading your post, i gather, money is not the limiting issue here and therefore i will conclude that 730Li is a "no go" for you.

End of the day, test drive all variant.. then decide.

maintenance wise.. not much different.

handling wise.. not much different also.

Hi guys. Been driving bimmer for the last 10byears only tot of joining the forum
Now thinking of buying the f02 ie 730 Ld diesel. Is it a good car? Is the car reliable? What are the major things that I need to be careful of? Need valuable advise for sifus. Thanks guys.

I suddenly hv the urge to own a F01/f02. Actually i hv been toying this idea for a long while. I thought of retiring my 1 owner e60 and get a used 7 series replacement. I hv been looking around and hv seen 740li n 730li. I hv yet to pull the trigger but i need to make this happen within thus 1 month. Appreciate any who has experience owning these.
Have owned a e38 before. Just want to go back to experience driving a 7 series.

Top Bottom