Oil Leak

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

richard

Club Guest
My E39 528i: yr 1997 has some oil leak.My mechanic say oil filter tank leaking. New tank cost RM1500 or alternatively get a second @ RM750. The new one has advantage of needing to change oil ring? if faulty whereas the seconds is old model, if kabut again new to replace whole unit.Questions:If delay change until leak is major, what is the repercussion besides having to top up oil every now and then?Is there there alternative solution?My mechanic didn't take long to diagnos, either he is damn good, or he's doing a fast trial and error solutions!! at my expense. What do you think?Also change my stabiliser rods on both sides to get rid of creeky sound when turning, but still having some. Now the mechanic tells me its the ball joint near the wheel wearing off!! Am just gonna let it be for time being. Is there any danger leaving it as it is?Thank you

Answers to your question

1) Checking out the oil leak is not that difficult. To be sure, wash your engine bay with chemical or degreaser. Spray the chemical to the oily areas. And then a week later try and and look where it is leaking. Yes M52 engines are prone have that problem (cracked housing). I would buy a new housing if its cracked! Other possible causes, worn valve gasket, oil sump gasket, pulley oil seal.

2)Yes it's safe, and if you can live with it, then leave it as it is. :D

Al

oil filter housing - I welded mine.
Did it in Bandar Tun Razak. Total cost was about RM300++ including labor and aluminum welding which takes time.
Have not leaked since then.

Top Bottom