oil cooler

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tony5050

Club Guest
guys,i observed that the engine oil temp is always near to 100c after a harder run. is it advisable to fix an oil cooler to the E46 M3 engine?if it is, anywhere in KL that i can get an oil cooler kit? thanks a mil'regards,tony

the ///M came with oil coolers for the engine, and operating temp of 100 C is about just ok, means the oil cooler is working ok

but if you want to be certain, there's a oil pressure switch near the oil filter that works as a switch to open and close the oil going into the oil cooler housing, this can be checked and if faulty ,it should be replaced

if you a real track junkie, maybe a remote engine oil cooler could do the job, it basically pumps all of the engine oil into the back of the car, and holds something like 20 litres of oil........

PM Alvin for further details as this kit is not for the faint hearted.....

Originally posted by teejay@Dec 30 2005, 07:04 PM

if you a real track junkie, maybe a remote engine oil cooler could do the job, it basically pumps all of the engine oil into the back of the car, and holds something like 20 litres of oil........

PM Alvin for further details as this kit is not for the faint hearted.....
u mean the dry sump lubrication system?

teejay,
oh wow, the car has got own oil cooling system ah..thanks for the info dude. Dry sump always cost bomb one oh, i had that on my R32 dragster though..too much for road use la dude.. :lol:
as for the kit like what shown by adlizs' link, the only thing that would worry me is the oil pressure drop...any comments?
thanks for the infos guys..

regards,
tony :yes!:

Originally posted by tony5050@Dec 30 2005, 05:29 PM
guys,
i observed that the engine oil temp is always near to 100c after a harder run. is it advisable to fix an oil cooler to the E46 M3 engine?
if it is, anywhere in KL that i can get an oil cooler kit? thanks a mil'

regards,
tony
100C is within normal operating temp. No worry as long as the oil temp in between the 1st and 2nd round dot on the speedo. And yes, E46 M3 already came with an oil cooler.

By the way, what engine oil are you running? BMW reconmend only Castrol TSW motorsport oil for E46 M3. But too bad, AB Malaysia only contract with Shell lubricant. So I have to import it in from BMW Germany myself.... :(

calvin,
thanks alot for your info dude. :eek:k:

pssst guys:

not sure whether should i make this statement here but i think is really for you guys who would be looking for the TWS up and down.
right, i'm in logistics business and currently running more then 100 trucks. Castrol is the lub. that we've been using for the past 6 years. about a month ago i started to order the TWS from Castrol hoping that they can bring it in by bulk. the PIC that i contacted immediately asked me back whether am i getting a ///M or Z. was kindof suprise that he realised about it. from what he told, the TWS is the same as the Castrol RS that we can find almost everywhere. anyone has got any comment on this? :eek:
he stated that TWS is just another "name" given by BMW. ... :ph34r:

the necc had continuously preached that they are not the same.. chester confirms this too..

Originally posted by tony5050@Dec 31 2005, 12:56 PM
calvin,
thanks alot for your info dude. :eek:k:

pssst guys:

not sure whether should i make this statement here but i think is really for you guys who would be looking for the TWS up and down.
right, i'm in logistics business and currently running more then 100 trucks. Castrol is the lub. that we've been using for the past 6 years. about a month ago i started to order the TWS from Castrol hoping that they can bring it in by bulk. the PIC that i contacted immediately asked me back whether am i getting a ///M or Z. was kindof suprise that he realised about it. from what he told, the TWS is the same as the Castrol RS that we can find almost everywhere. anyone has got any comment on this? :eek:
he stated that TWS is just another "name" given by BMW. ... :ph34r:
Tony5050, please find out more. It makes our life easier if they are the same.

Top Bottom