O2 Sensor dead - Don't use RON95 Petrol

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

calvin3663

Club Guest
My E36 318 engine suddently stop while I was driving along the Tun Razak road today....:bawling:It's like fuel-line just cut itself out and the engine just dies off (while the car is still moving)Wah...so dangerous...no warning lights....no service signals!Luckily, I managed to re-start the engine. Quickly drive to the workshop for engine code inspection.Turns out that the O2 sensor was faulty.Apparently, the mechanic says better don't use Ron95 petrol for BMW (eventhough the manual say can).WTF!Hope you guys out there are aware about this too....

O2 sensors if kaput, does not kill the engines la....half of the BMW's driven on the road has the sensors dead !!

some thing else wrong ...

No such thing as RON 95 causing O2 sensors to be faulty. When was the last time you replaces your O2 sensors? If you haven't done it, perhaps it was already bad/degraded hence the complete failure. O2 sensors usually last only 100,000 km.

O2 sensor faulty will not cause the car engine to stall. My e36 325 was running with O2 sensor faulty for 6 mths and not a single time it stall (touch wood).
The symptom the cause by O2 sensor were things like higher fuel comsumption & lost of power.
Better get 2nd opinion I think your mech don't get his fact right.
Cheers....

"The oxygen sensor in the exhaust path hepls the computer to determine the air/fuel ratio for combustion. If your unit is failed it would give the computer a preset "limp" reading which would cause you a rich condition, you would see this with poor idle, poor fuel economy, hard starts when cold, engine knocking, and I guess could cause intermittent stalling if the signal it sends is corrupt enough and/or if your spark timing is off slightly an overly lean condition could cause stalling too"

Source: answers.com

He may an experienced mechanics but not a knowledgable mechanics. I do not see the correlation of O2 sensors with RON95

it may show that the lambda 02 sensor error ...if upon erasing using the modic , if can be erased then it's could be a faulty 02 sensor , but can't erase totally then it's gonna be major ...

usally when you erase and then re test the modic again and if the error comes out...as mentioned above be prepared for the worse ...

i've never ran on ron95 ....but all i can say is that the ron95 has got this kindda high octane smell when pumping it onto my other non bm ride ....

Bro...your mech should be shot between his nuts if he has indeed made such a comment

my e36 328 also running on failure O2 sensor for 8months already. so such problem so far. and i am a ron95 user too.

Such a ridiculous comment. The mech probably even not sure about what he says. Please "delete" that mech from your list..

I was thinking that mech doesn't know how to differentiate between RON95 and DIESEL laaa...:listen::stupid:

yep crap mechanic, i wonder if he the same guy who says engines can sieze up due to alternator failiure?

oh i use 95, my factory fuel cap says to use it or higher

Top Bottom