Not enough fuel?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chriseunos

Club Guest
Hi, im currently driving an M20 325i E30 and whenever i am in high revs, around 5000+, my engine will sputter(not sure if it's the correct word) or jerk for a second or two, it's sort of like not enough fuel. My guess is maybe the fuel pump cannot pump adequate fuel? One more question, regarding the fuel rails, are there any difference between, 318i engine and 325i ? i've checked the fuel filter and it is fine.

chriseunos, sry to hijack ur thread, i too face a prob when i do high reving, in my case, i can smell fuel in my car. Anyone faced these kind of problem b4?

I had those problems before....
First Problem:
Turned out to be worn cam. but could be up to 20 other items electrical or mechanical.
Second problem:
2 posibilities
1) The Fuel pump Seal is broken (Located under the Rear seat hence in car smell)
2) Fuel pump leaking.

worn cams ehh...hmmm...is it advisable to reprofile the cams? My friend reporfiled his cams on his E30 320i, now the car accelerate so much faster!

try checking if your plugs are still good, gaps are ok and also check your ignition cables are in good condition.

i had that problem last time. changed new sparkplugs and also notice the cable silicone insulation is cracked. so when during high loads, instead of voltage go to spark plugs, it grounded itself at the cracked ignition cable.

now, no prob

chriseunos;226392 said:
worn cams ehh...hmmm...is it advisable to reprofile the cams? My friend reporfiled his cams on his E30 320i, now the car accelerate so much faster!

Would prefer to replace the whole cam with a mild sports cam, but they don't have them in Malaysia for M40 318 so I will pick one up on next trip to Australia or Thailand or Europe... depends which comes first.

hmmm, i suspect is the fuel pump and will try and have a go at replacing it. Regarding the cams, anyone can tell me why reprofilling stock cams is not recommended?

my ride has a similar problem. Not jerking but revs go up and down, happens regardless of revs. On a straight road, same throttle pressure gives different levels of acceleration i.e. going up and down. :stupid:
not sure if its due to lack of warmup, but my min warmup is 10mins.

I just changed fuel regulator valve, fuel filter. now looking at idling valve. But sadly I didn't think of my plugs and cables. will look into it now.

chris, is your problem solved?

Guys,

To share my experience with problems highlighted above, the mechanic changed :

-the whole spark plug wire
- distributor cap
- distributor rotor
- and spark plu of course..

Then all kau tim
p/s my car e30 m20b323

Top Bottom