new findings - true or myth ? [E46]

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

koolio

Club Guest
had my first visit to another workshop recommended by a member. was advise a few things:1) battery needs to be replaced every 4 years for optimum performance. mine still the original -> 1999.2) expansion tank needs to be replaced. was advised that expansion tank should be changed every 60 - 100K km.3) was advised that my lower arms should be upgraded for better handing. mine still the old version - 1999. was shown the new verison with stronger reinforcement and thicker.4) was advised to upgrade the computer software for better performance and fuel saving. mine still 1999 version.as am still quite new to E46, any advise or comments on the above would be greatly appreciated. hopefully this thread would serve the other new E46 owners too.cheers.

1. I think that is reasonable although if you do not have any problem, why bother.

2. That is true. Do it now. Search the forums for indepth discussion on this.

3. Never heard of it.

4. Never heard of it, unless you are talking SMG version. i doubt it since I don't think they have SMG in 1999.

koolio said:
had my first visit to another workshop recommended by a member. was advise a few things:

1) battery needs to be replaced every 4 years for optimum performance. mine still the original -> 1999.

2) expansion tank needs to be replaced. was advised that expansion tank should be changed every 60 - 100K km.

3) was advised that my lower arms should be upgraded for better handing. mine still the old version - 1999. was shown the new verison with stronger reinforcement and thicker.

4) was advised to upgrade the computer software for better performance and fuel saving. mine still 1999 version.

as am still quite new to E46, any advise or comments on the above would be greatly appreciated. hopefully this thread would serve the other new E46 owners too.

cheers.

1) 4 years is about time when the battery will fail, infact these local batteries normally last about 2 to 2.5 yrs

2) Yes this is very true and it is advsable not to overlook this item..can be very inconvenient, expensive and embarrasing if it fails!!!

3) Yes can upgrade the bushings to the powerflex variety

4) not sure of this...

regards

Thinice, appreciate your comments. will get the expansion tank replaced soon.
you own a E46 ? where do you service your ride?

BMW9700, thanks for comments. noted on the expansion tank. current battery in my car is still original from BMW UK, never been replaced since it rolled out from factory.

where do you service your ride?

With regards to the expansion tank, does this apply to CBU units as well?

scin said:
With regards to the expansion tank, does this apply to CBU units as well?[/quote

yes is applies to CBU, my car is CBU and i learnt the hard way..

regards

koolio said:
had my first visit to another workshop recommended by a member. was advise a few things:

1) battery needs to be replaced every 4 years for optimum performance. mine still the original -> 1999.
my original E46 battery run for 6 year and havent fail, but i change it (y take risk coz the battery already last 6 years n all your money already worth more than anything for the battery, if u can change 4 year i think its even better)

2) expansion tank needs to be replaced. was advised that expansion tank should be changed every 60 - 100K km.
Change is every 60K for a peace of mind, i dun advice to stretch it till 100K. Its only about RM 300 for 60K per change, itsssssss cheap, so y take risk to 100K?

3) was advised that my lower arms should be upgraded for better handing. mine still the old version - 1999. was shown the new verison with stronger reinforcement and thicker.
I have replace mine to lemforder coz it have klik.....klok sound, after replace everything is fine (i think lemforder is the recommended brand)

4) was advised to upgrade the computer software for better performance and fuel saving. mine still 1999 version.
yes, i have upgraded mine (cost about RM 180-200), frankly speaking i dun feel any diffrence in both power and FC. anyway just upgrade it lar, coz people upgrade their O2 PDA for RM 100 from window 2003 to 2005. your car so big for 180 worth a thousand smile lar bro, muhahahahahhaa

as am still quite new to E46, any advise or comments on the above would be greatly appreciated. hopefully this thread would serve the other new E46 owners too.

cheers.
:Dcheersssssssssssssssss (koolio, my feedback is on your quote)

Under 2, - change expansion tank at 60,000km, water pump and thermostat at 90,000km and radiator at 120,000km.....good preventive maintainance....

Mouse, after replacing to lemforder lower arms, better handling? where do you service your ride?

bmwcar, any idea the cost for water pump, thermastat and radiator? where do you service your ride?

thanks for advise. good maintenance guide.

scin said:
BMW9700 said:
What was the damage?

luckily the tank burst after i got home..it was a few days after i got the car..had to tow the car into the workshop..was embarrasing as all the neighbours looking and sneering..it was a friday and got the car back on monday..

total damage around RM400 inc towing charges

regards

Has anyone replaced battery to ACDelco dry cell? how much is it? and does it last? am asking because had previous experience of dry cell which didn't last that long. Was recommended ACDelco by one of the BMW worhshops. Pls advise.

Top Bottom