New E60 520i (Thai) Vs Recond E60 525i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

AstroCreep

Club Guest
Hi All,Tough choice!Considering New E60 520i (Thai) or GreyImport E60 525i, with a difference of about 30k is not easy. On one hand, new unit with full 3 yrs AB warranty, compared to one with better power+spec but no support.What's your advise?What do you do if non-AB 525i i-Drive goes kaput or needs updates?(... obviously I'm a newbie in the world of UDM...).

Gulp! I would go for the 525i and keep my fingers crossed! The 520i might be brand new but doesn't mean it's problem free and Auto Bavaria's aftersales is nothing to shout about. Lots of us service their cars elsewhere even if it's still within warranty period.

i would choose the 525 unless you don't mind the lack of power in 520. i'm pretty sure the 525 recond isn't that old, maybe 2004 model...fyi, the Thai-made 520 is manufactured in 2005... :yes:

True.
I have a strong feeling towards the 525i, but at the same time dead worried about the i-drive software.

Non-AB Service Centres can handle+repair+update+hack the i-drive?

This is in fact the only part stopping me from considering 525i recond.

Looks like we are having the same problem. I'm leaning towards the Sawadee 520i as nothing beats a 3 year zero cost warranty. The Jap spec cars looks great, I saw a geuine 7000KM car but who knows? May just end up spending another RM20k annually on maintenance etc... From my past experience with Bimmers, it is likely. There aren't many alternatives at that price. If you bump it up to the E200K level, there is the 523i for consideration as well. *sigh*

Been shopping....

520i CKD 2004 - found one in Sungei Besi @ 268k.
525i CBU 2004 - ranging from 315k to 330k, can be found everywhere...
525i CBU 2003 - 300k onwards.
525i CBU M-Package 2005 - 370k.... this one, found in Setapak, seems too cheap I think... dangerous.

Pls note also the TomYam flavoured 520i is using E39 2.2 engine.

since the diff is just approx. RM30k, go for 525, simply awesome...but if you're worries bout the idrive, no warranty etc, get the 523, cant go wrong with 192hp.

... not easy...

After much fact findings, we've decided on the 520i. Booking done.

Maybe after getting to know more about non-AB workshops, I will consider the better+meatier recond units. By that that, I'm sure I'll be gatal for more HP!! ;)

Anyways, this is my first plunge into the world of UDM. Wish me luck.

ps: good forum, am still exploring. Can I find in this forum tech documentations, DiY, hacks, like those can be found in E60.net, but more localised? Thanks.

Astrocreep,

good to hear that you've made up your mind, wishing you all the best!. e60 as your first udm is something to be proud of man.

Astrocreep... congrats on your booking!
I guess the better peace of mind that comes with 3 years service inclusive is the difference between grey import and authorised dealer huh?? :)

artyca,

exactly that la... otherwise I wouldn't mind the grey import at all.

let's wait until our non-AB mechanics has 'control' of the i-Drive, or a 16 year old to hack the system, them baru boleh consider them.

..... or can we already?

Bro, i was at SG motor opposite DU police station today.

Saw a 2003 530i that is going for RM340K.

Im sure could be negotiated.

Interior is in amazing condition but doesnt come with comfort seats upfront like local and Naza 530i's.

Its a Japan unit and it even comes with the widescreen i-drive console and force feedback i-drive knob with DVD sat nav(not that it'll work).

It also comes with the TV function in the Entertainment section.

Only thing lacking is the rear window sun screens.

Check it out.. :)

Best Regards,
Kenny

Originally posted by k3nny@Jul 11 2006, 10:11 PM
Bro, i was at SG motor opposite DU police station today.

Saw a 2003 530i that is going for RM340K.

Im sure could be negotiated.

Interior is in amazing condition but doesnt come with comfort seats upfront like local and Naza 530i's.

Its a Japan unit and it even comes with the widescreen i-drive console and force feedback i-drive knob with DVD sat nav(not that it'll work).

It also comes with the TV function in the Entertainment section.

Only thing lacking is the rear window sun screens.

Check it out.. :)

Best Regards,
Kenny
kenny, he had already booked the 520 la..

btw, RM340K for 3 year old 530 is not that cheap man, i believe AB's Sg Besi has few newer units priced slightly higher than that.

Originally posted by safri@Jul 6 2006, 11:01 PM
since the diff is just approx. RM30k, go for 525, simply awesome...but if you're worries bout the idrive, no warranty etc, get the 523, cant go wrong with 192hp.
E60 523i has 177bhp. The M54-engined E39 525i and E60 525i had 192bhp.

One thing I noted about the E60 520i sold in Malaysia (whether Thai-made or CKD) - there's no cruise control. Even the E39 520i and indeed the cheaper-by-half facelifted 2006 Honda Accord 2.0 have cruise control.

I tested both the 520i and 523i today. The 520i is pretty good value but is a bit lethargic going uphill whilst the 523i seems pretty adequate.

The strange thing I found is that the 520i seems stiffer sprung compared to the 523i. The 520i appears to handle better than the 523i as I took both cars on full throttle around the Glenmarie sweepers int he industrial areas at speeds > 100km/h. Any explaination here? The tyre profiles are the same. Active steering in play? Tyre pressure?

The 520i seems pretty adequate in terms of power but the 523i is much better for general application. Anyway, I subsequently tested the W211s later in the day and found them a bit stiffer relative to the E60. Was offered a RM20k discount compared to zilch from BMW. The base BMWs are better speced compared to the base W211. Decision decision decision

wirelessjunkie,

Was the 523i equipped with run-flat tyres?

I test-drove the new 3 which was equipped with run-flat tyres, and did the same Glenmarie curve. It was scary coz' the car was not sure footed, felt wobbly. I suppose to be able to run-flat, you compromise on performance.

Latest update, we canceled our booking from AB due to personal reasons - career politics, family safety, etc... E60 was deemed too flashy. With options to 'downgrade' our selection the new 3, or C-class, I'd rather save my dough and jump back to E60 when timing is right.

I feel sad....

But honestly guys, after driving, feeling, 'gaga'-ing over the E60, you will not look elsewhere!

(....maybe I'll change my 'religion' when 159 finally arrives!).

Top Bottom