Negative chamber on the front wheel

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bazet

Club Guest
Hi all,My car is ready for next Sepang F1 session and to limit the understeer, I'm thinking of have negative chamber in the front like...-2 front, -1 rearSincen BMW suspension is dead one, what kits should I look to enable that modification ?

for the front, the only option is adjustable camber plates... I think for the rear, it's sufficient... Just need more front negative camber to reduce understeer...

How bad is the understeer?

Are you carrying way too much speed thru the corners? (overpowering the tires)

Camber plates will help...assuming you get it adjusted just perfect.

You can also play around with tire pressures to help reduce understeer
(next time you go out, take note of your cold and hot tire pressures and adjust accordingly)

You can get the car aligned...set up a little toe out to get better turn in. My car is set up with 1/16 toe out and it helps. The straight line driving sucks though.

You can also change your driving style...couple of driving techniques/throttle steer etc to cope with understeer.

BTW....Sepang track, u guys run clockwise or counterclockwise?

thanks
franklin

Originally posted by bazet@Jun 10 2005, 03:05 PM
Hi all,

My car is ready for next Sepang F1 session and to limit the understeer, I'm thinking of have negative chamber in the front like
-2 front, -1 rear

Sincen BMW suspension is dead one, what kits should I look to enable that modification ?
Interestingly that was how Munji setup my GTV for Sepang. The standard car understeers quite a fair bit and with this setting, negative front and 0 degree in the rear, the car is a dream on the track. There is just so much grip and it goes like a dream. Mind you that this setup works perfectly on the GTv as it has a live rear axle hence giving it a degree of passive rear steer which works well.

I'm totally newbie in car setting. I only playing with those numbers ( TOE,CAMBER) in my Gran Turismo GT4 only.

Surprisingly , I can't adjust my camber setting for my BMW ( unlike japanese cars )

Now I'm using Yoko rubber and current camber setting are BMW standard ( 0 front,-1 rear ).

I've been in the track for 4 times to date and the understeer is bad as driving FF car. ...and the rear have more grip than the front.

Usually.I'm running 30psi for front and rear.

For my next outing, I'll downgrade the wheel to BMW original 15" alloy wheel with 205x55x15 rubbers.

I've recorded my last outing at Sepang,

http://www.home.net.my/TRACKDAY_SEPANG.php ( streaming at 250kbps...no registration required )...and the understeer is all the way.

different tires have different "sweet spot" so you'll have to find the hot tire pressure.

Maybe next time u can try 32 front and 30 rear and see how that feels.

I normally run 2psi higher up front depending on the track.

Do u have adjustable sway bars?

Tire pressure is the easiest/cheapest to explore...but it wont cure severe understeer...u'll have to do a combination of alot to get it just perfect.

So next time at Sepang, try a little higher up front, do a few hot laps and come back in, take 'hot' temps and adjust accordingly.

Top Bottom