Need to get my E30 rear power windows working again.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fabianyee

Founding Member
The rear power windows for my E30 318i have not been working for some years... Never got round to get them look at. I tried to DIY to see if I could get it dismantled but gave up... :p Anyway, it is the steel cable type and not the scissor type. Anyone who has gotten it repaired/fixed before? maybe better to convert to manual.. :)

Ah tackled that one before... i removed the whole assembly before replacing the motor, doubt the motor could be removed without removing the assembly.

From memory:
1. Wind down window halfway.
2. unbolt window and secure with tape.
3. unbolt assembly.
4. Squeeze it out of that tight space.
5. Replace motor.

practice caution when removing assembly, some brute force may be inevitable but don't bend it too much else your window height will change. Ask me how i know haha. Good Luck!

The problem is I can't get the window to wind down.... Or rather I don't know the trick to do that with the cable type module...

Oops forgot about that vital step lolz! To manually wind down the window remove the rubber cap on the motor, and turn it by allen key.

I don't know how many times I've opened up these damn power window motors to try and clean and refurbish and fix etc. I'm tired of ever looking at them again haha.

On the bright side, all 4 are somewhat working now, so I'll leave them alone at that. :p

I know how.. just that its a pain in the hand n fingers..

You will need a open 10 size wench. Squeeze into the upper window seal n there u
Will find 2 nuts. Open them one by one..
Then the window will drop down. The rest of the motor assembly be removed.

Cheers..

Don't forget to keep a stick handy to prop up the window, if it pops out of its groove you're gonna be cursing like hell...

Fabian, let me suggest you another method.

Go remove your trim and spray very liberally on the winding mechanism, especially at the cables, pulleys, pivot points. Of course, help it a bit by moving them around ( even if tiny bit ). WD40 can also be sprayed into your motor especially at the bearings. ( if accessible )

I would also check with a voltmeter if there is power going to the motor......and ur fuses too.

I saved my power steering with the WD40 once....

Good luck!

Jules;834243 said:
Fabian, let me suggest you another method.

Go remove your trim and spray very liberally on the winding mechanism, especially at the cables, pulleys, pivot points. Of course, help it a bit by moving them around ( even if tiny bit ). WD40 can also be sprayed into your motor especially at the bearings. ( if accessible )

I would also check with a voltmeter if there is power going to the motor......and ur fuses too.

I saved my power steering with the WD40 once....

Good luck!

WD40 can strip off the lubricating grease one woh... Anyway, the motor not running. and based on others' experience, it's the internal rust. Anyway, will check with multimeter the next time I have a go at it...

WD40 is less of a lubricant and more of a water dispersant actually. I lubed my window mechanisms with white lithium grease. Lasts longer and doesn't attract so much dust/dirt. When I opened the motors, I would try and remove all the corrosion from the commutator plates and also I read something like the groove between the plates needs to be scraped clean as well to function properly. Doing all that did seem to help a little. I'm sure a motor repair shop could probably replace the brushes and other components with new parts, but I've never explored this route.

Top Bottom