Need to change brakes.....

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

aDrIaN

Club Guest
I need to change all my discs and pads. I am so confused. I posted a reply in another section of the forum but I didnt really get the reply I wanted coz Im driving an E39.What do I need to change mine to? Currently im using OEM discs and pads fitted by the previous owner of my car. Dont know what brand also. But damn a lot of brake dust it chokes whenever I try to pump air into my tyres! :eek: Last week I was in London but havent got the time and energy to get the parts coz it was too freakin' cold. But im going to Manchester this Friday so Im gonna make it a point to go to their branch there to get the parts. Either from GSFCarParts or EuroCarParts. Cannot find Motormec branch there tho.Question:1. Which is Original and OEM? - Jurid is one of the 2 suppliers of brake parts for BMW. So is it original or OEM if I buy it outside?2. What about OEM parts like ATE/ Textar/ Pagid? Price almost the same. Performance or reliability? Does it perform as expected?3. Solid, vented or cross-drilled? I heard X-drill eats pads for breakfast, lunch and dinner!4. Last but not least, is the price in British Pounds worth the effort to bring back? What is the price of all this here with fitting? :unsure:

Originally posted by aDrIaN@Jan 5 2005, 04:53 PM
What do I need to change mine to? Currently im using OEM discs and pads fitted by the previous owner of my car. Dont know what brand also. But damn a lot of brake dust it chokes whenever I try to pump air into my tyres! :eek:

Question:

1. Which is Original and OEM?
- Jurid is one of the 2 suppliers of brake parts for BMW. So is it original or OEM if I buy it outside?

2. What about OEM parts like ATE/ Textar/ Pagid? Price almost the same. Performance or reliability? Does it perform as expected?

3. Solid, vented or cross-drilled? I heard X-drill eats pads for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

4. Last but not least, is the price in British Pounds worth the effort to bring back? What is the price of all this here with fitting? :unsure:
Original BMW. Get from the local BMW dealer and ask to exclude VAT.

1. OEM means "made by xxx for BMW". If you buy BMW labeled parts its as original as it can be (assuming not imitation) no matter if you bought it from BMW themselves or some other parts dealer. Jurid makes pads for BMW and if you get pads labeled Jurid they are Jurid and not BMW. Compound and quality control may differ.

2. If its BMW labeled you wont go wrong. You MAY experience noisy screeching brakes if you go for non BMW parts. (I said MAY only - not always)

3. Yes - but do you really need x-drilled? Do you race frequently or have you suffered brake fade recently?

4. Brake disks and pads a bit heavy if you get a pair or two. Think about luggage and hauling that. I guess it depends on some parts. You might do well if VAT is not charged. I've bought some parts in UK before and they were cheaper but it was during the days when the exchange rate was more favourable last century and earlier this millenium. Not sure about now especially when its about 7.4x now due to the weak USD against the Euro.

Thanks 3er for the insight. The pound is a little bit crazy but the prices seemed ok. I was thinkin since Im going there might as well get some parts back. If can claim VAT then its worth. U want anything? :)

Thanks for the offer. I'm thinking of some stainless steel brake lines.... hm.... :)

3er
Im now in Manchester. U want the braided steel hoses? Im going over to Eurocarparts and GSFCarparts tomorrow. Go to the Eurocarparts website and look for Goodridge Brakeline Kit. Only £37. Holler if u want it. :D

Yes please - thanks. But only if its not too much trouble.
Its for my 2002 E46 325i. Dont worry if you cant.

Top Bottom