Need Help!Pls advice

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Lionel_Koh

Club Guest
Recently i just noticed that my car rear right wheel is lower compared with the left wheel.Therefor the car look narrow to right hand side. I send the car to the workshop and the mechanic told me that this is the common problem for BMW even for the latest E46 also facing the same problem!He also said that even i change the asorber and spring, the level never be the same.Just want to know any members here facing the same problem???My car is E34,520 year 90. Pls advice how to solve the problem.

Your mechanic is somewhat right.. However, the ride height difference shouldnt be _that_ obvious, perhaps ~1-4 cm difference at most I think.

Maybe you can compensate with a thicker spring pads for the lower side and thinner spring pads for the higher side? Just a thought.

Instead of guessing, why don't you measure the distance from the top of the rear fender to the ground for both left & right to compare. The "sagging" sympton is quite common, i think because the bimmer is designed as a left hand drive so that when the driver is in the car (on the left) the weight distribution will be even.

Originally posted by Lionel_Koh@Dec 11 2004, 11:42 PM Recently i just noticed that my car rear right wheel is lower compared with the left wheel.Therefor the car look narrow to right hand side. I send the car to the workshop and the mechanic told me that this is the common problem for BMW even for the latest E46 also facing the same problem!He also said that even i change the asorber and spring, the level never be the same.Just want to know any members here facing the same problem???My car is E34,520 year 90. Pls advice how to solve the problem.
How much do you weigh? Maybe the sagging on the right side is due to the extra weight the car had to carry thoughout the 14 years of service.... hahahahahahahaha :p

Just measured,diff is bount 3/4 inch. Just wnt to find out any of ur all facing this "sangging" problem?????i going to change the 16 or 17 inch sport rim.....but afraid the narrow will be more obvious......pls advice......

Originally posted by Lionel_Koh@Dec 13 2004, 05:27 AM Just measured,diff is bount 3/4 inch. Just wnt to find out any of ur all facing this "sangging" problem?????i going to change the 16 or 17 inch sport rim.....but afraid the narrow will be more obvious......pls advice......
How long have your shock absorber been in service? I have notice this sagging difference. But after I have jack the car and extend the shock to the maximum, the difference is minimised. Later found that one of the rear shock was defective. (the one that sag a bit more). Spring usually last longer than shock.

i check the absorber,found out one is going defective but is not the right absorber,it's the left one,That why i can't understand cos the right absorber should be the one defective that make the car sag to right hand side......BTW Jarance, how to extend the shock????You DIY or send to work shop????

All..........and I mean ALL BMWs will always sag a little on the right side, some more than others depending on the condition of the suspension system's components.There is a simple reason for this. The original chassis/platform template for these cars were originally designed and tested for left hand drive traffic systems. In these systems, the road surface will incline gradually to the right to aid in water run-off during the rainy season. Imagine then, putting a 200-pound-odd german engineer on the left seat(driver's) and see if the car is level....the car would be consistently be running off towards the right. How do you counter this? Engineer in some incline/sag/droop into the right side of the chassis.In our right hand drive system everything works in the opposite manner. That's why if you notice on almost all continental cars, the caster angle on the left wheel is always adjusted at an extreme angle(i.e. almost touching the front bumper, and this is very apparent on Mercedes), or else you will always experience a gradual creep to the left during highway cruising.On my E30, the difference was almost an inch. But after fitting onsome after market sway bars and bushings, it seems to have somewhat reduced by half.Hope all this makes sense.

Originally posted by Lionel_Koh@Dec 13 2004, 12:51 PM i check the absorber,found out one is going defective but is not the right absorber,it's the left one,That why i can't understand cos the right absorber should be the one defective that make the car sag to right hand side......BTW Jarance, how to extend the shock????You DIY or send to work shop????
I did not extend the shock. All I did was to jack it up and let the spring extend it to the max. It seem to work for a few weeks and then it will come back again (I mean the sagging)..

Its true the right hand side has a bigger droop. Notice this after I change to softer shocks (longer travelling distance). To solve this, you can go for 1) firmer shocks (bilstein sports) and 2) add a spacer.Rgds

Originally posted by kevster30@Dec 13 2004, 02:16 AM All..........and I mean ALL BMWs will always sag a little on the right side, some more than others depending on the condition of the suspension system's components.There is a simple reason for this. The original chassis/platform template for these cars were originally designed and tested for left hand drive traffic systems. In these systems, the road surface will incline gradually to the right to aid in water run-off during the rainy season. Imagine then, putting a 200-pound-odd german engineer on the left seat(driver's) and see if the car is level....the car would be consistently be running off towards the right. How do you counter this? Engineer in some incline/sag/droop into the right side of the chassis.In our right hand drive system everything works in the opposite manner. That's why if you notice on almost all continental cars, the caster angle on the left wheel is always adjusted at an extreme angle(i.e. almost touching the front bumper, and this is very apparent on Mercedes), or else you will always experience a gradual creep to the left during highway cruising.On my E30, the difference was almost an inch. But after fitting onsome after market sway bars and bushings, it seems to have somewhat reduced by half.Hope all this makes sense.
Agree wit Kevster cos i always fell my car creep to the left during highway cruising and even a town drive. I sent my car for aliagment n balancing,result still the same.

I measure my rear ride height, left is 61.5cm (from ground to fender), right is 61cm. So difference is only 0.5cm. New springs, almost new absorbers & "spectable" bushings. Oh, I have also the installed the nylon insert below the carrier bushings (rear subframe)...........

My car too sags on the right... pretty obvious but since the car still handles ok, I can live with that.

Originally posted by flash@Dec 16 2004, 08:00 PM My car too sags on the right... pretty obvious but since the car still handles ok, I can live with that.
Ooops, forgot to add, I now get my passengers to sit on the left, all my grocery bags will be on the left and I do have a 5 liter water bottle on the left too. That pretty evened things out a bit.

can confirm now that all bimmer facing the same problem......even for the new bimmer......Hope some one can solved the problem.....n give us some advices...

Originally posted by Lionel_Koh@Dec 17 2004, 12:35 AM can confirm now that all bimmer facing the same problem......even for the new bimmer......Hope some one can solved the problem.....n give us some advices...
If there is a cheap and easy solution, I wud like to know too.

Originally posted by flash@Dec 17 2004, 02:10 AM If there is a cheap and easy solution, I wud like to know too.
5 packs of 10kg beras A1 should do.....or truck flywheel put on the passenger side....

Top Bottom