Need Help, E30 difficult to start.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Logan

Club Guest
Need Help, My UDM E30 (M40) can't start when the engine is warm. It's only start after few crank.Meanwhile when the engine is cold, just one crank it starts perfectly.Please advice what is the possible cause.

Logan,

my m40 hard to crank under the hot sun...(means it won't crank at all eventhough the kep is in crank position)

wat i do is...

turn the ignition key to crank position and hold , if it start then let go, if don't start then try to pull the key in and out on the crank position.... the engine will crank then.... maybe because ignition switch problem...

if ur don't have problems with cranking the engine...

then you can try to check out your distributor ignition angle...
if the angle is too advance then ur engine will be harder to start during warm/hot condition.....

hope this will help... thanks

Originally posted by Logan@Mar 17 2005, 03:52 PM
Need Help, My UDM E30 (M40) can't start when the engine is warm. It's only start after few crank.
Meanwhile when the engine is cold, just one crank it starts perfectly.
Please advice what is the possible cause.
go serbis ur starter

man thats a bad thing... my friend says might be your earth wiring... his car had a same problem before...hope that helps... :)

Thanks, ppl. So far, I have changed fuel regulator, idling switch, fuel pump.
Nothing solve the problem. Anyway i will proceed to check on the suggested parts. Thx.

Originally posted by Logan@Mar 17 2005, 10:24 PM
Thanks, ppl. So far, I have changed fuel regulator, idling switch, fuel pump.
Nothing solve the problem. Anyway i will proceed to check on the suggested parts. Thx.
Not sure but I may hv a similar problemm but not becuz engine hot/cold - summtimes engine will crank but not fire. But when I pull out HT cable & lean the male socket ovr der mouth of der ignition coil & crank, it will fire without fail!!
So far I hv changed a new fuel regulator, new plugs & der distributor cap, tried another ignition coil ovr der last one month but still problem persists. Lately I found dat if I turn der ignition key straight thru in one full turn to crank without any hesitation, possibility of not firing up is eliminated.
I don't kno if this strategy will give permanent solution but I kno if it does, sumthin iz stll not rite sumwher. :unsure: Any one kno r got any ideas/ Even mech & wireman both stumped! :blink:

or it could even be ya starter carbon ....

if it's not starting , try knocking onto the starter unit and try again...

:D

Originally posted by ICEMAN 13@Mar 22 2005, 06:08 PM
or it could even be ya starter carbon ....

if it's not starting , try knocking onto the starter unit and try again...

:D
Starter cranking fine, just won't fire! :blink:

Hi Logan,

Is you slove for your car problem that difficult for starter enjin? if yes, pls. share with me because my car year 91 318I same problem as you car too.

Actually i face this problem since few year ago, but i have try a lot of BMW mechanic and change a lot of the parts as you mention early, but until now i still face start on morning by one time enough but when the enjin is warn, MUST be 3 times to let the enjin started.

If anyone of you know about this problem pls. feel free to inform me.

My contact : cntan@giken.com.sg

Thanks.

Could be alot of variables actually.

This happen to my 87 325is...same scenario.
Starts fine when cold and really hard when hot.

I swapped a bunch of parts....ICV, cold start valve, cap/rotor, plugs and coils....didnt work.
Then i swapped in new plug wires....voila....fixed it. Turns out the 17year old wires arent good anymore.

How old are the plug wires? try swapping them with wolverine and see.

last resort...try pulling the starter and get it tested out.

all this can be solve using a very cheap and effective method, add a relay to the starter, mine now starts first time every time, cold, warm, hot, hotter, hottest.........

Hi Franklin,

My plug wire was been change full set cost me about Rm1k++, the end still same condition at all and this problem make me feel to sell it the car because other people though "lauzy" BMW car.

Hi D.V.NG,

Pls. tell me in more detail like photo locate the location cause i am the outsider, i really want to try even there is left only one percentage chance for my car, i also get mad to my car when want to start the engine and the last choice is too be change the total engine to SR20 nissan engine once my money have extra.

Thanks.

Originally posted by cntan@May 13 2005, 04:47 PM
Hi Franklin,

My plug wire was been change full set cost me about Rm1k++, the end still same condition at all and this problem make me feel to sell it the car because other people though "lauzy" BMW car.

Hi D.V.NG,

Pls. tell me in more detail like photo locate the location cause i am the outsider, i really want to try even there is left only one percentage chance for my car, i also get mad to my car when want to start the engine and the last choice is too be change the total engine to SR20 nissan engine once my money have extra.

Thanks.
atache photo of relay.......to starter

Top Bottom