Need an advice..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

purungnyior

Club Guest
Im currently using e36 328.. And now my car engine and gearbox 'kong' already.. What is ur advice coz i plan not to sell that car.. Which one is a better solution? :1) rebuilt that engine and gearbox2) buy halfcut n install3) buy engine n gearbox then installOoppss.. My budget below 10k otherwise i must sell that car or cari ahlong for loan

purungnyior;618929 said:
Im currently using e36 328.. And now my car engine and gearbox 'kong' already.. What is ur advice coz i plan not to sell that car.. Which one is a better solution? :

1) rebuilt that engine and gearbox
2) buy halfcut n install
3) buy engine n gearbox then install

Ooppss.. My budget below 10k otherwise i must sell that car or cari ahlong for loan

no 2)buy halfcut with low mileage,then install.10k should be sufficient budget.(cheaper to buy half cut)half cut around 6-8k,installation labour around 2-2.5k...:cool:

If I were you I'd rebuild the engine and gearbox. To save cost on parts you can purchase them on your own. If you have friends in Singapore get them to buy from Eng Soon and maybe you can get a runner to have it sent to JB then you can collect there. It's cheaper than getting it locally here.

Once you have the overhaul kit just head over to your favourite mechanic and get him to work on the rebuilding. As for gearbox you can get it rebuilt for around 3-4k I believe. Not too sure about the prices for gearbox rebuild so ask around.

Why I prefer rebuilding compared to buying low mileage halfcut as suggested by zulcarn9e? Well for one, a low mileage halfcut is really rare. Even if it's low mileage, you won't know how long that halfcut has been in the chopshop.

At least when you rebuild the engine/gearbox with new parts you know for a fact that it'll last. Good luck.

I prefer rebuilding the engine and gbox..parts are new and it will run as good as it should be..best of luck

I'd agree with rebuilding the engine and gb as that'd be the more if not most cost effective.

You could end up spending even more on the halfcut engine cause there's no guarantee that it's in perfect running condition...

purungnyior;618929 said:
Im currently using e36 328.. And now my car engine and gearbox 'kong' already.. What is ur advice coz i plan not to sell that car.. Which one is a better solution? :

1) rebuilt that engine and gearbox
2) buy halfcut n install
3) buy engine n gearbox then install

Ooppss.. My budget below 10k otherwise i must sell that car or cari ahlong for loan

engine and G-box kong ..seems like you've been whacking the car to red line always :)

yehh re-built would be a better pick ...the half-cut is for those who want a fast job ....

went to m-scope just now.. spoke to the boss and he ask RM5500 (max) for rebuilt my gearbox.. a bit out of budget laaa... so how much to rebuilt my engine gonna cost me after this.. can anyone give a suggestion which workshop offer a good price n good workmanship...

also went to haki trade and ask for engine kosong.. only for rm2500 without installation and installation gonna cost me below rm1k.. so are rebuilt my engine gonna be a good solution? sorry a bit confuse

iceman: i think with the mileage of more than 330,000km the good reason why it both 'kong' coz im not a red line driver

At the end of the day you need to ask yourself, what are you looking for? Do you want a quick fix cause you will be selling the car soon, or do you want a fix that will give you peace of mind for the next 200,000km or more?

There is nothing to be confused about bro, it's simple. It's the same as filling up your petrol tank. You spend less if you fill it up halfway, but you get less mileage. Spend a bit more and fill it up full and you'll get more mileage. Just remember there is no guarantee that the engine kosong you get from a chopshop isn't going to smoke after 5,000km.

As for gearbox you can try calling Lionel (012 220 7630) to see if he got cheaper contacts to rebuild for you or not. I've heard a lot of good things about M-Scope and their price is high, but they deliver exceptionally good work. They might not be the best place to go for someone on a budget.

Good luck bro!

purungnyior;619775 said:
went to m-scope just now.. spoke to the boss and he ask RM5500 (max) for rebuilt my gearbox.. a bit out of budget laaa... so how much to rebuilt my engine gonna cost me after this.. can anyone give a suggestion which workshop offer a good price n good workmanship...

also went to haki trade and ask for engine kosong.. only for rm2500 without installation and installation gonna cost me below rm1k.. so are rebuilt my engine gonna be a good solution? sorry a bit confuse

iceman: i think with the mileage of more than 330,000km the good reason why it both 'kong' coz im not a red line driver

if it's ZF 5 sp auto box , i assume for 5.5K for every single bits and pieces ...would be justifying... but if it's a GM 4 sp i'm not really sure if it's at a slightly higher side...

as for the engine ...yeh engine kosong needs to be checked properly ...best bet is never trust the dip stick blah blah ..ask them to remove the bottom oil sum ...that's where are the secret history of the engine is being stored ....

but since you've got a budget of 10K , i think you can rebuilt both ...

Top Bottom