My wife hates RFTs

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ashman55

Club Guest
Hi Im new to this forum but i have found it useful to know more about my new beloved E90.I got use to the RFT probably cos i enjoy driving the car but my wife hates it.Most likely i will change it to ps2.If there is a servey here probably what percentage of RFT owner had change or seriously thinking about replace those hard & bumpy tyres if they havent done it yet.Thanks

I don't know the exact figure but can safely say that most E90ers here have changed their RFTs to non-RFTs after their RFT became due for change. Also, most thought this was a good decision.

Juan Powerblow;362477 said:
I don't know the exact figure but can safely say that most E90ers here have changed their RFTs to non-RFTs after their RFT became due for change. Also, most thought this was a good decision.

Juan Bro,
wat do u think?
is it better to maintain using RFT or change to non-RFT?
and if change to non-RFT, advisable to buy the mobility kit? ...but wat if more than 1 tyre puncture? :eek:

At this moment in time (around 22,000 km done), I am happy with my RFTs (had a puncture, patched it), and intend to stick to RFTs when it's time to change.

I like the idea of being able to keep on driving (it's a safety thing) despite a puncture. Also seen the BMW video on what happens to an E60 when a tire blows out at 80km/h. With RFT: E60 moves on as if nothing happens (aside from the tyre alarm); without RFT: car spins and ends up off-road. Video was shown at the start of the ADT session.

Traveler;363109 said:
At this moment in time (around 22,000 km done), I am happy with my RFTs (had a puncture, patched it), and intend to stick to RFTs when it's time to change.

I like the idea of being able to keep on driving (it's a safety thing) despite a puncture. Also seen the BMW video on what happens to an E60 when a tire blows out at 80km/h. With RFT: E60 moves on as if nothing happens (aside from the tyre alarm); without RFT: car spins and ends up off-road. Video was shown at the start of the ADT session.

Care to share the URL for the video? YouTube kah?

For years i drive thru SMART tunnel and never felt anything.Now with RFTs it is really a bone shaking experience,u really want to drive out of it as soon as possible.Anyway in previous life, many times i realised i have got a flat tire and managed to reach the tire shop to get it repaired..

When I took delivery on my new E90, I hated the tyres! Complained to SC and got it rectified. In my case, looks like they screwed up in the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) and allowed delivery with the default overinflated tyres to avoid sagging when park prolong period in the pre-delivery car yard.

For my case, I suffered more than just overinflated tyres, even my alignment was all out!!

I do not know if you suffered from the same SC screw up..

seems to me the solution is to buy an emergency tire kit, and get the non rfts. after all, how many times in ur lifetime do u get a blow out or flat? compared to a comfortable ride EVERY time u drive ur car? the advantages outweighs the inconvenience i think. if u take care of ur tires, there is a very rare chance of a blow-out, if at all.

MSport;363128 said:
Care to share the URL for the video? YouTube kah?

Sorry, I don't know if it's available online. It was screened at the start of the Advanced Driver Training session.

Astroboy mentioned about overinflated tires.Assuming I overinflated my RFTs by one psi does it make a different in term of ride comfort?

regarding RFTs,

there are many aspects to this matter... i personally love the RFTs, some ppl will pay alot of money to get stiff sidewalls to achieve steering responsiveness.

to me RFTs give me luxury and performance, the luxury to know that im in safe hands even if a tyre puncture occurs at high speeds and stiff sidewalls for a better respond without compromising my traction.

anyways the only thing i dislike about the RFTs are that they are much heavier compared to non RFTs

you might have changed into a non RFT because the person you spoke to at your usual Tyre shop suggested that RFTs are uncomfortable and more expensive, which is true but also maybe because these tyres are heavy to stock and they do not carry them.

In which my case i personally feel that the RFT has alot to offer and in time it will be a tyre that meets both comfort and the performance world.

btw for all cars that came stock fitted RFT/SSR tyres, have specially tuned suspensions to withstand the extra impact the RFT/SSR tyres will cause.

eg. the new X5 & X6 fitted bridgestone RFTs have specifically adjusted suspensions to suit the harder impact of these tyres.

Top Bottom