My rear tyres lasted only 17,000 km :(

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

GHS

Club Guest
Hello all, have not posted for help for quite some time, so here goes...My ride is an E90 320i SE, lowered with Eibach Pro-Kit.Front tyres are 235/35 R19, rear tyres are 275/30 R19, Falken FK452 all round.They have only been used for about 17,000 km.I decided to give my tyres a random check after returning from an outstation trip yesterday. I was really surprised to find that both rear tyres were nearly worn out! :(For both rear tyres, the insides were left with about 10%, outsides about 20%, I guess due to a slightly negative camber. Fronts are still good though, at least 50%.I religiously send my car for alignment/balancing every 10,000km. Also, my driving pattern is fairly sedate; very few burnouts or hard cornering, 80% town, 20% highways.What could be the possible cause(s) for this accelerated wear of the rear tyres?Cheers.

the PS2's will last about just as long as well.... if u want the grip, you won't have the thread life.

Something is not right here..

If tyre is soft, then it should affect the front as well, which is not the case here.

Being a RWD car, the rear tyres suffer when too much hard acceleration, engine braking causing rear tyres to wear faster than the front, and it should be more obvious among the more powerful 6-potters sibling.

For our 4-potters, few members have confirm the wear should be pretty equal, if not the front wearing out a little faster because of braking and cornering... and for your case, the rear tyres are a lot wider, thus spreading the load to a wider surface of the tyres which should mean slower wear compare to the thinner front tyres.

I would suspect your rear toe-in degree is greater than the front..

My OEM 225/45R17 CSC2 still have more than 50% thread, evenly on all 4.. despite 19k km on the ODO.

I have just changed to a new set of FK452s after work today. Deciding factor was the good experience I already had with them and the relatively wallet-friendly price, especially in these trying times... ;)

Yeah my OEMs were exactly the same as yours AB. I noticed that the OEM tyres were much more longer-lasting. Heck, I even went for a day of HPC on them and they still lasted me about 30,000 km...

I'm not sure how much is the rear toe-in compared to the front, how would this contribute to the wear may I ask?

But what is certain is that in future I'll ask the tyre shop to remount the tyres and rotate them between left/right for more equal wear. Previously, as the FK452 were directional, rotating them was not possible without remounting, and I didn't want to "trouble" them. Blame myself for being too undemanding :(

17,000km?! and you are complaining ? :D
19", lowered, HPC event, and 17,000 km sound alright to me.

Bro, HPC event was with the OEM 17", which lasted me 30,000km.

Life for the 19" has been fairly easy-going so far, they have not gone thru any extremely rigorous workouts ;)

I've got a set of Falken 452 that has 24,000km and the tires are pretty shot. Its probably worn more than most would like. I'm just one of those guys that likes to use the tires to the max. If i can use it till the thread show, I would but with the rainy conditions that we've been getting, I think I better change very soon.
Having your tires worn after 17K is not uncommon. You're driving style if like mine will eat up tires quickly.
Overall review is that the Falken 452 in 225/40/18 is a great tire. It holds up well and response above average for a fairly demanding driver like myself. I drive very spiritedly and love blasting down the highways at breakneck speeds. And the tires hold up well. I would like to get another set but part of me says go with something else. At these difficult economic times, I'll have to settle for slightly less expensive tires. Maybe those Kumho or even some unpopular brands.

Since we're comparing notes, I too have similar experience with the FK452s. I drive a manual 325 e36 quite heavy footed. I replace the rear twice before I change the front. I get about 24K on the rears and 40 on the fronts. I guess your experience sounds about right. I changed to a noisier and harder F1s now, wear is also similar.

RedZ4;410888 said:
I've got a set of Falken 452 that has 24,000km and the tires are pretty shot. Its probably worn more than most would like. I'm just one of those guys that likes to use the tires to the max. If i can use it till the thread show, I would but with the rainy conditions that we've been getting, I think I better change very soon.
Having your tires worn after 17K is not uncommon. You're driving style if like mine will eat up tires quickly.
Overall review is that the Falken 452 in 225/40/18 is a great tire. It holds up well and response above average for a fairly demanding driver like myself. I drive very spiritedly and love blasting down the highways at breakneck speeds. And the tires hold up well. I would like to get another set but part of me says go with something else. At these difficult economic times, I'll have to settle for slightly less expensive tires. Maybe those Kumho or even some unpopular brands.

I would agree with you in this context. It's purely depends on the driving style and the weather conditions . Anyhow thanks for the post. It is pretty helpful for me. Hope u would continue doing this.

vinode;411732 said:
Since we're comparing notes, I too have similar experience with the FK452s. I drive a manual 325 e36 quite heavy footed. I replace the rear twice before I change the front. I get about 24K on the rears and 40 on the fronts. I guess your experience sounds about right. I changed to a noisier and harder F1s now, wear is also similar.

Dont you guys rotate your tyres and change back to front and front to back on the opposite sides every 10000kms?

Our friends are running staggered set up, so the rear tyre is a lot fatter than the front and will look retard if swap with the front.. :p

So these folks are limited to left/right or remount options... provided that they are not running asymmetric thread pattern with specifiec inner and outer thread..

What to do?! These are perfectionist like how god created our legs that uses specific side of the shoes, cannot left/right swap.. :p or can they.. :eek:

I am running a staggered 225 FR and 245 RR
I change my rear tires twice as often as the fronts
Hard acceleration and RWD takes it's toll on the rear

turbology;396137 said:
17,000km?! and you are complaining ? :D
19", lowered, HPC event, and 17,000 km sound alright to me.

I agree with you :)

My 19" 275/40 R19 doesn't last more than 20,000km .

Being a staggered setting you lose the chance to rotate, ie between front & rear.

Look for some directional tires, at least can flip over. :)

kawei;517870 said:
I agree with you :)

My 19" 275/40 R19 doesn't last more than 20,000km .

Being a staggered setting you lose the chance to rotate, ie between front & rear.

Look for some directional tires, at least can flip over. :)

if it rotation tyre...u need can swap ur right tyre to left.

17000km is about rite. Mine lasted about that or even less. Depends on how heavy footed u r. My fronts wears out on the outside so have to change too.

enkil;521472 said:
17000km is about rite. Mine lasted about that or even less. Depends on how heavy footed u r. My fronts wears out on the outside so have to change too.
yep... last time, my rear PS2 only last 15k km.. front usualy around 30-35k km.. now downgrading to PS3... save nearly around RM2k for my setting (F: 225/40/18 R: 255/35/18) compare to PS2 but definitely PS2 is more superior...

bro, ada main drift? ada wat tyre spinning? ada penah buat show off rubber smokes ke..? hehe.. cabutzzzz :burnout:

Fireuz;585560 said:
bro, ada main drift? ada wat tyre spinning? ada penah buat show off rubber smokes ke..? hehe.. cabutzzzz :burnout:

Power of M3... Drift and spinning is the fun part, smokes sometimes but not for show-off, for driving satisfaction..

anxious;411932 said:
Dont you guys rotate your tyres and change back to front and front to back on the opposite sides every 10000kms?

Actually BMW don't recommend wheel rotation even if all the wheels are of the same size.

Top Bottom