My new (sort of) e36

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

damnu

Club Guest
Hi All,Finally got myself an e36 after months of searching. It's a 1992 318 (M). Running on 17 inchers and H&R springs and shocks. I was lucky enough to purchase the car from someone who took the time and effort to keep the car in good shape.I have a few questions which i hope you guys can help me out with:1) I just changed the tyres and i noticed that the steering is slightly offset, meaning that when I point it dead straight the car slowly creeps to the right. I'm driving with wheel turned slightly to the left to keep it straight. Went back to the tyre shop twice and it's still the same, the only difference is that the steering feels more loose now. I read somewhere in this forum that it's normal for BMWs to be slightly offset to the left, so just wanted to verify with you guys to make sure i'm not making a big deal out of nothing.2) What's the recommended tyre pressure for 215/45/17?3) I know this might sound stupid, but did BMW ever make window switches with built in heaters? Last week the passenger power window failed to work and it was traced down to a faulty window switch (thank god). It has since been changed to a second hand unit but right now the light is about 3 times brighter than the other switches and it gets super hot, making it virtually impossible to wind down the window without sustaining 3rd degree burns. Any one of you had this problem before?4) There's a few rattles whenever I go over bumps, and I have a feeling it's from the sunroof coz when i put my hand against it to support it it stops. It's a manual winder. Has anyone one had this problem before? Is it some spring issue?5) I'm running with an M40 engine now and it's tappets are starting to tap BIG time... Tried putting in an oil additive but that didnt work. Was informed that it's just an irritation and that mechanically the engine is still sound. Is this true? Is it something i should be worried about other than having nightmares about my BMW transforming into a tap dancer?6) Just for my own knowledge, is the M42 engine a direct fit ie plug and play no fabrication kind of conversion? Can my current gearbox be mated to a 6 potter?7) What is the standard pipe diameter for the M40 engine? The car came with an aftermarket exhaust system. It's got an RSR stainless steel rear muffler and 5Zigen stainless steel centre box (at least that's what's stamped on the boxes, whether or not they're original I have no idea how to tell). Was informed that my rear box is due for a change, so does the BMW standard set-up use an S-flow design? Was thinking of doing a custom set up which has more muffling qualities after 5 years in an Iswara with a straight flow muffler. 8) Where can I purchase a copy of Bentley's service manual? I know i can download it but since I'm going to be making lots of reference it would be a worthwhile investment. Well, if you're still reading this all I can say is a BIG thank you. Wont be able to post as often as I wish coz of work commitments so hope you guys dont take offence if I'm not responding for a while. It took me a month just to get down to making this post. Once again, thanks heaps. Cheers!

damn new! enjoy your ride. some fellas here will help you.

Hi All,

Finally got myself an e36 after months of searching. It's a 1992 318 (M). Running on 17 inchers and H&R springs and shocks. I was lucky enough to purchase the car from someone who took the time and effort to keep the car in good shape.

Hi..hi..hi... everybody buying a used car always claimed this, including me but end up of repairing something.

I have a few questions which i hope you guys can help me out with:

1) I just changed the tyres and i noticed that the steering is slightly offset, meaning that when I point it dead straight the car slowly creeps to the right. I'm driving with wheel turned slightly to the left to keep it straight. Went back to the tyre shop twice and it's still the same, the only difference is that the steering feels more loose now. I read somewhere in this forum that it's normal for BMWs to be slightly offset to the left, so just wanted to verify with you guys to make sure i'm not making a big deal out of nothing.

Find another workshop to do the alignment and throw as much question as possible about it. Record the camber, caster and toe data for future reference. Spend some to gain some knowledge and info here, after all it is not that much.

2) What's the recommended tyre pressure for 215/45/17?

Same as what recommended with by the car manufacturer, basically 28 to 30 psi is good enuf

3) I know this might sound stupid, but did BMW ever make window switches with built in heaters? Last week the passenger power window failed to work and it was traced down to a faulty window switch (thank god). It has since been changed to a second hand unit but right now the light is about 3 times brighter than the other switches and it gets super hot, making it virtually impossible to wind down the window without sustaining 3rd degree burns. Any one of you had this problem before?

I think it is a wrong bulb inside those switch. Better check again. This is dangerous. It can cause fire

4) There's a few rattles whenever I go over bumps, and I have a feeling it's from the sunroof coz when i put my hand against it to support it it stops. It's a manual winder. Has anyone one had this problem before? Is it some spring issue?

Are you refer to your suspension spring? if it is, than is not. Definitely it is your sunroof installation cause once you hold it, it wouldn't rattle

5) I'm running with an M40 engine now and it's tappets are starting to tap BIG time... Tried putting in an oil additive but that didnt work. Was informed that it's just an irritation and that mechanically the engine is still sound. Is this true? Is it something i should be worried about other than having nightmares about my BMW transforming into a tap dancer?

Most probably you need top overhaul. M40 using hydraulic valve.

6) Just for my own knowledge, is the M42 engine a direct fit ie plug and play no fabrication kind of conversion? I think yes. Can my current gearbox be mated to a 6 potter? Not sure

7) What is the standard pipe diameter for the M40 engine? The car came with an aftermarket exhaust system. It's got an RSR stainless steel rear muffler and 5Zigen stainless steel centre box (at least that's what's stamped on the boxes, whether or not they're original I have no idea how to tell). Was informed that my rear box is due for a change, so does the BMW standard set-up use an S-flow design? Was thinking of doing a custom set up which has more muffling qualities after 5 years in an Iswara with a straight flow muffler.

Better get the original piping system again if you want more muffling qualities. it is not cheap to design a new one that can match the original

8) Where can I purchase a copy of Bentley's service manual? I know i can download it but since I'm going to be making lots of reference it would be a worthwhile investment.

MPH or Amazon.com

Guru,

I like your signature

thanks strider for the reply.

would you know what is the standard diameter for the exhaust?

Btw, when and where do you all normally hold your TTs?

Cheers!

damnu;303857 said:
thanks strider for the reply.

would you know what is the standard diameter for the exhaust?

Btw, when and where do you all normally hold your TTs?

Cheers!

check it ........ www.realoem.com ....... ......:burnout:

Top Bottom