My new K&N open pod air filter.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Slide

Club Guest
My new K&N air filter with a proper heat shield. Bonnet closes to form the lid of the heat shield. Keeps everything much cooler than the stock system. If you notice, even with the stock airbox the air filter gets hot when the car is in use. At least with this one it does not. Only time it even gets warm is when i am stuck in traffic, but once i get moving again it all cools down. Intake pipe has also been ceramic coated, which works to keep it a little cooler.

is it u put ur K&N filter on ur E46 N40 engine? or dif engine? from what i saw in the picture im agree with ur opinion..it seems make sense and does works...Im trying to find somebody who had done K&N filter to their E46 N40 engine coz i wanna make it as well...how bout the performance? is there any dif? from ur opinion and exp, do u know any dif between using a HKS Mushroom and KN filter? from what my friends said to me last time, they said that the Mushroom suck the air more than K&N (depends on the car)..so how if put in Bimmer? somebody can share this knowledge with me? appreciate it so much..thanks :D

Laneza,
My car is an e36 328i, reason the engine bay looks a bit different is that i am running the e36 325i intake manifold. it should be easy for anybody to copy this design for any type of car. Just as long as you can block off a section of the car to make sure that what ever filter you choose is properly protected, you should be fine. it's very important to make sure that you have a heat shield that is insulated. I've seen just metal plates being used and this is not ideal as the heat will still pass through to the filter. what type of filter you use is totally up to you. In my opinion, there will not be much of a diff between brands. I would recommend a K&N drop in panel with the stock air box if your car is mostly stock. Also, i prefer my K&N Cone to my Pipercross Venom, the K&N has more filter area than it and with the heat shield it keeps things much cooler than the metal case the Pipercross comes with.

Dolceaddict,
Filter came as part of a kit which i ordered from e36coupe.com. You can get it made yourself for much cheaper here, but i didn't want to go through the hassle of DIY. But having looked at it, i am sure you can get it done yourself much much cheaper than the 160 pounds i paid.

The kit is fine as it comes, but i did get the intake pipe ceramic coated as additional insurance and added additional heatproofing to the wheel well, and back of the heat shield.

Cheers.

More pictures.
Notice the imprint of the heatshield into the bonnet's heat shield.

oh thanks slide..it comes with the filter shield...yeah i think the most important for filter is beware on heat of the engine which can pass trough when the fan is on..i had the same problem with my nissan as well...need to cover the filter as much as i could from the engine heat...when u plug in that filter the sounds sure dif rite?sure nice when u accelerate at high rpm..:D

Sound is loud, but i like it. I was hoping that the thick heat proofing would quite it down a bit but it did not. But no loss, as it's got quite a nice growl to it. But if you are considering doing something like this, be aware it is loud at 4k rev plus. Below that, the noise is quite stock ish. Nice early warning to other drivers when i am really pressing on and want them out of the way.

i want the scream..expecially at 4k rpm so can do some warning the others :D...im gonna try it soon :D

Top Bottom