My new Blizzard Blue 2003 E46

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ans451s

Club Guest
Hi BMW Sifus, I'm a newbie, and I though I'd intro myself. I'm gonna be a proud owner of a Blizzard Blue 2003 BMW 318 next week, so I thought I's share some pics and get some ideas or advice from you guys. The car comes with full service history and parts changed, plus is really well taken care of! Some further mods:-1) Install chrome gauge rings (brought from eBay already)2) Change the present 18 inch to 16 inch (ori rims) - present rims make the car sluggish and the ride very bumpy:17:3) Replace the black gearshift knob with the silver type (ordered from eBay)4) Get the "shadowline" trim for the door pillars - does anyone where to buy this? :wink:5) Replace the scratched up center console with a new one - anyone selling cheap?

Nice car bro..........................why downgrade to 16", 17" should be ok

I would love to get some 17inch wheels, but the tyre shops in Sunway only have imitation Taiwan ones that cost abt RM2500- RM3000.
Anyone can recommend a good shop for trading my my present tyres and rims for some decent 17 inchers? Klang perhaps?

Thanks!

Don't spend everything on cosmetics, the N42 engine will soon need new expansion tank, radiator hoses, cam cover gasket, oil sump gasket, solenoid valve o-rings, a number of sensors, change all fluids including GB, parts for suspension, brake pads+rotor. If all these are new, then spare a few grand in case of anything. N42 engine is quite sufficient however prone to leaks, but the fun factor is still there though its not an I6. Enjoy your ride....anyway agree with kayz, 17" have the balance of comfort and handling....

ans451s;464893 said:
5) Replace the scratched up center console with a new one - anyone selling cheap?

Cheaper option, repaint it again with rubber based paint. :top:

zeedo;465008 said:
Don't spend everything on cosmetics, the N42 engine will soon need new expansion tank, radiator hoses, cam cover gasket, oil sump gasket, solenoid valve o-rings, a number of sensors, change all fluids including GB, parts for suspension, brake pads+rotor. If all these are new, then spare a few grand in case of anything. N42 engine is quite sufficient however prone to leaks, but the fun factor is still there though its not an I6. Enjoy your ride....anyway agree with kayz, 17" have the balance of comfort and handling....

Thanks for the info Zeedo, scary about the amount of parts that need to be changed! :eek: Although the present owner has changed many of parts already, he just serviced it 2 weeks ago. To be safe, I am immeadiately gonna take it to Stuggart Auto in SS2 to have the mechanic have a good look.

My biggest worry are the oil seals - apparently all the N42 engines tend to leak after 100k km mileage! Hopefully no issues with the g/b too.

Only reason I bought it from the present owner - full service records with every single part that's changed been listed :top:

afifazhanee;465031 said:
Cheaper option, repaint it again with rubber based paint. :top:

Thanks for the suggestion bro, do you know where to get this paint? available in ACE hardware?

ans451s;465130 said:
Thanks for the info Zeedo, scary about the amount of parts that need to be changed! :eek: Although the present owner has changed many of parts already, he just serviced it 2 weeks ago. To be safe, I am immeadiately gonna take it to Stuggart Auto in SS2 to have the mechanic have a good look.

My biggest worry are the oil seals - apparently all the N42 engines tend to leak after 100k km mileage! Hopefully no issues with the g/b too.

Only reason I bought it from the present owner - full service records with every single part that's changed been listed :top:

No prob, I have no intention to scare nobody..and the parts are not really that expensive if we change it before it fails in the middle of no where. I'm driving 2002 E46 N42 so kind of learned quite a number of things about that engine. The parts I mention for example: expansion tank is only RM220 (easy DIY installation), front absorber RM340/piece. There is one oil seal at the flywheel which mine is currently leaking a bit....and just refer to realoem.com to identify all the o-rings so once you have the opportunity just change as many as possible. I have opened a few and mostly already hardened after 6-7 years. So it's a good idea you're bringing it for a check up...The joy is sure worth every effort (especially I travel frequently along KL-Kuantan h/way end really love the Karak stretch)

Thanks a lot for you info bro, really appreciate it. Hopefully can join you all for a TT session sometime! I'm getting my ride on Tuesday morning. Can't wait!

Got my ride already - I have to say, previous owner took real good care of it - like a new car! Service history indicates all the O-rings were changed in 2007 - I don't think they would need to be changed now?

Btw, there is annoying creaking noise coming from both the drivers' and passenger side window, but dissapear after awhile - any idea what could cause that?

ans451s;467061 said:
Got my ride already - I have to say, previous owner took real good care of it - like a new car! Service history indicates all the O-rings were changed in 2007 - I don't think they would need to be changed now?

Btw, there is annoying creaking noise coming from both the drivers' and passenger side window, but dissapear after awhile - any idea what could cause that?

So just enjoy your ride, that creaking noise usually caused by the rubber lining and I just spray it with rubber conditioning spray I bought from OU for RM13. Keeps it quiet for 2-3 weeks then it will need spraying again. Best solution is to replace the rubber lining but RM13 solution works fine for me

Thanks a lot for the tip - its seems to work, I work sprayed mine with silicon spray, and the sounds are gone! (for now). Just got back from Stuttgart Auto in PJ, after a diagnostic checkup, looks like the Oxygen sensor needs to be replaced. When they checked the undercarriage, the auto transmission is also leaking - apparently its gonna take 3 days to remove the tranmission box and replace all the rubber seals!

Any of you guys been thru the same problem?

Nice ride man. Stick to 17" rims - good balance between ride comfort and go-speed.

Salut

Thanks Solo, I'm looking out for some nice 17" rims too. Any tires too recommend? Currently FC is pretty high with 18" rims - I only get abt 7km/l for 80% City driving 20% highway.

I used some Michelin Primacy LC on my old car - how abt you guys?

Top Bottom