My e46 radiator water need to be topped up every week?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ravin136

Hi there guys..

I have a 2003 e46 320i and my radiator water need to be topped up every week.
Recently the light comes on even before a week.
I checked for leakages but none.
Any advise guys?
Thanks in advance.

there is definitely a leak.as others have said,do a compression test and see where the leak is coming from.

where did you check the leak? I have recently got leak under the car, thought it was from the aircon condensation. After thorough inspection, the leak was from the water jacket. Mine needed to top up everyday as the warning goes out often so i've decided to use a radiator sealer and until now got no leak issue.

Ravin,so how's your baby ?Manage to solve the issue..by the way what is compression testing?how much does it cost?need to go back to AB?

Jacky Low said:
Ravin,so how's your baby ?Manage to solve the issue..by the way what is compression testing?how much does it cost?need to go back to AB?
A compression test is where the filled up the radiator full of water and they will pump air into the radiator via the radiator cap.

The mechanic will then check for leak. Usually work for big leak but might not work for small leak or the radiator cap is the culprit.

1000x1000.jpg

Looks cool on the gadget but will the over pressure will causes other parts to spoil?coz BMW seal is quite crunchy due to heat engine.By the way do they need to remove the radiator tank or the radiator it self to do this test? Any price reference ?I experience topping up water as well but around 2 to 3 month once..I am planning to bring my baby to go this test but afraid of too pricey..

Jacky Low said:
Looks cool on the gadget but will the over pressure will causes other parts to spoil?coz BMW seal is quite crunchy due to heat engine.By the way do they need to remove the radiator tank or the radiator it self to do this test? Any price reference ?I experience topping up water as well but around 2 to 3 month once..I am planning to bring my baby to go this test but afraid of too pricey..
Normally most shop dont charge if they cannot find the leak..

Jacky Low said:
I dont think they will charge if you let them fix the lead (if any). They will make from the labour charge and parts.

Top Bottom