My E46 have strong smell at my boot.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dumeort

Club Guest
Do any of you have this problem ? There are strong smell acid or something else coming from the boot. When I open the boot, u can definately smell it. It's pretty uneasy. Anyidea anyone ? I have tried :-1) Change battery2) Change alterater (charger)3) Unplugged all the Amplifier wire4) Take out the cd changertq all the sifus and bros and sisters.

Hey dumeort,

If it smells like acid, its high possibility concern on your battery connection. Try and look at that corner once again

What type of battery are you using at the moment? Dry or wet type.

If it is wet type, then there is a possibilty that the acid have spilled from the battery during one time when you went over a hugh bump on the road.

To get rid of the acid smell, you will have to remove all the carpet in the boot and wash them. In addition you will have to flush the inner compartment of the boot with clean water to dilute and wash away any sign of acid. (Note: There is a drain plug in the tyre compartment) This is important if there is acid spillage cos the acid will attack your paintwork and metal over time. After washing, let the boot dry in the sun.

Plus when you wash out the carpets and the boot, use bicarb of soda as will neutralise any acid plus get rid of any smell.

acidburn;242545 said:
Hey dumeort,

If it smells like acid, its high possibility concern on your battery connection. Try and look at that corner once again

Firstly, i also think is the battery. But 'sifu Rashid' checked the wiring and the battery. Everything looks good.

jarance;242574 said:
What type of battery are you using at the moment? Dry or wet type.

If it is wet type, then there is a possibilty that the acid have spilled from the battery during one time when you went over a hugh bump on the road.

To get rid of the acid smell, you will have to remove all the carpet in the boot and wash them. In addition you will have to flush the inner compartment of the boot with clean water to dilute and wash away any sign of acid. (Note: There is a drain plug in the tyre compartment) This is important if there is acid spillage cos the acid will attack your paintwork and metal over time. After washing, let the boot dry in the sun.

I'm not sure whether it's wet or dry. It's brand new and maintenance free. Nothing to do with the carpet, i think. Coz when u start the engine, the smell still comes out although i never drive the car.

i tot so, therefore i already unplugged all the wire to the amp. Still smell come out.

Hi dumeort

It seems like your problem yet to be solve and it sounds complicated though. My suggestion is call CSI Team and let them investigate for you on the feum reaction. ha hahahaha :) Merdeka joke only laaa

Check if anything like insect die inside booth or round the rear absorber as well

having the same problem here with my moms e46 325i, i dont know what smell it is but its just an uneasy smell. washed all the carpets already twice but still the same. damn.

Friend of mine has the same issue with e46.

I checked the us forum and found it to be common. Over there, they say it smells like crayon.

Another theory is that the smell is from the chemical used to treat the chassis.

So far, have not come across any solution.

yea it smells something like a melted crayon. Is it possible for the smell to get into the cabin?

Top Bottom