My 525i M54 whistling when idle

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

zib

Club Guest
Hi guys,As mentioned above the engine sounds like a whistle or perhaps a clattering with a very high pitch..like wuuuuuu....What could be the cause? The sound will immediately disappear after I hit the accelerator.Any advise is kindly appreciated.Thanks and cheerszaib

I had this sound when my cooling coil was about to die ......but i also has hot air at the passenger side. when car slow the compressor will make that noise...once high speed it goes away. but after change to new cooling coil...all silent OMG! but than again your could be another issue all together. look for a good mechanic to check.
cheers.

thanks blackbeast but I forgot to mention that this sound came from the engine bay not very audible inside the car unless you open the windows.

ok problem solved.
It was caused by worn springs on the fan belt tensioner (2 tensioners but only 1 was faulty i.e the one close to the alternator). I changed both for peace of mind.
Cost RM180 per piece with RM85 labour.

Now the engine is idling without any funny whistling or ticking sound.

Brother...my car has this noise too..can you point it out in more details??I want to change it too...thanks.

535i;727345 said:
damn - mine too .. and i thot it was the SC bearing ..

SC sudah masuk ka?

Bro zib, nice meeting you today at Bomin. Call me tomorrow if you want that angel eye bulb, I have one with me. You have my number right?

haywire;727378 said:
SC sudah masuk ka?

Bro zib, nice meeting you today at Bomin. Call me tomorrow if you want that angel eye bulb, I have one with me. You have my number right?

bukak SC sbb whinning sound nih..
pas bukak...sama jer...

535i;727387 said:
bukak SC sbb whinning sound nih..
pas bukak...sama jer...

err what is SC?

The actual problem was the spring on the fan belt tensioner already jammed. The spring keeps the belt tight and will pick up the slag whenever the engine speed changes. There are 2 tensioners inside the M54B25 one to the left of the fan and one near the alternator to th right of the fan.

It will give low ringing sound or sometimes wuuuuuuu sound when idling.

But if the sound is high pitched screeching noise, it could be either the a/c pulley bearing, power steering pump pulley or even the pump itself, or the alternator pulley bearing or even the fan pulley itself.

Cheers

haywire;727378 said:
SC sudah masuk ka?

Yes nice to meet you there too.yes I have your number.Sure will call u up.

Cheers
zib

Top Bottom