My 19" HARTGE Rims Crack

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

r37720

Club Guest
Lately I received the alarm indication from my E60 I-drive that my tyre punctured. Went to check at tyre shop found that my 1 year old HARTGE rims got hairline crack as a result of kerb scratch. Manage to weld it with special alloy material. The tyre shop told me that HARtGe cannot use normal material to weld. Anyway, feel so much pain to know abt my rim damage. Any body experience it before

it's impossible to have hairline crack !!... does your rim has warranty ?

pussy;254106 said:
it's impossible to have hairline crack !!... does your rim has warranty ?

Yes, got waranty but the warranty void due to misuse like kerb scratch. This is original HARTGE rims which cost me RM17K for 4.

The welding cost me RM200.00 so far so good.

What make u say impossible?

rims got warranty one ah? for defect likely but u gotta prove it.

rims can be welded but the heat from welding will weaken the overall strength of ur rim. Balancing is another issue, tho a smaller one.

I guess the message I am saying - if u can buy a 17K rim, replacing is no issue lor.

Its your life 1st, then ur passengers plus other road users....so think again.

Jules;254333 said:
rims got warranty one ah? for defect likely but u gotta prove it.

rims can be welded but the heat from welding will weaken the overall strength of ur rim. Balancing is another issue, tho a smaller one.

I guess the message I am saying - if u can buy a 17K rim, replacing is no issue lor.

Its your life 1st, then ur passengers plus other road users....so think again.

You made me scared man... next two days I am going to drive back to Malacca. Getting the replacement is this time is not good idea. What will be the impact of reduced strength?

I believed - for branded rims - u can actually buy 1 piece ...

535i;254366 said:
I believed - for branded rims - u can actually buy 1 piece ...

Yes, i ask from S'pore b4, u can choose to buy only one pc of rim.

bmw7833;254370 said:
Yes, i ask from S'pore b4, u can choose to buy only one pc of rim.

Thanks ..I will buy after raya. I bought it before at Jalan Ipoh. Any other outlet seeling this HARTGE stuff in KL and even better if in penang

Singapore will probably be cheaper. Anyway driving around with cracked rims is probably a very bad idea. Next will probably be catastrophic failure eg wheels flying off your car at high speed or braking.

don't scare him like that lah.. even though there's truth in it.. ;)

just don't speed for the time being. Anyway, how big was the hairline crack... ?? actually, don't think kerb scratch can actully cause hairline crack, unless it involved some form of higher than average side impact...

Well, initially the tyre pressure keep on dropping every 2 days. When I send for AB service, I asked the SC to check is went wrong, later they called me that the rims got crack and need to go for special welding. They said it is in between the interface of tyre and rims. I figure out it should be minor and the rims still can still be good after welding

Damm...sh#t.... My rims crack again... I have no option but to buy 1 pc of HARTGE rims.

Last time bought from late Simon of Obermeir ...

Anybody knows where else that I can buy just one piece 19" rims.

Welding onto a metal creates a number of stress raisers, shrinkage cracks and a change to the alloy composition. If metal stresses are applied only a few times, in one direction and of relatively low value, the weld will not start a fatigue crack. But if the weld is in a stress reversal situation as in a tyre application and is moderately stressed, that rims will fail in fatigue. Noted that the ultimate strength of the steel is unimportant if welding and fatigue are present. A strong welded steel fatigues at the same rate as a weak welded steel.

hi hafizzul, wld be great if u cld intro yrslf in the newbies before posting yeah dude & hope u enjoy yr stay here cheers

anybody knows why this branded wheels got failure? any experience from HARTGE users? does not seem possible unless stress loads exceeds specifications or hit a hole really hard i guess.
I'm very fond of hartge wheels tho.

Top Bottom