More Torque: 2.7 eta or supercharger?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Dear all,

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice...

Seems to me...best thing to do....since theres nothing really wrong with it..is to leave it stock standard....

I have driven a manual 325i before... and it certainly far more repsonsive thna auto...but manual as a daily car in KL?? no thanks...

Just need a set of nice wide lipped wheels or...Alpina replicas... kinda like them

Docazani

Originally posted by docazani@Jun 29 2006, 12:13 PM

Just need a set of nice wide lipped wheels or...Alpina replicas... kinda like them

Docazani
why replica? someone in the forum is keeping 5 mint condition cotton reels as spares w/ all caps/keys.......too much aint it?? if the price is right *cough*>3k*cough*, i'm sure he'll let them go :D

Originally posted by docazani@Jun 28 2006, 01:08 PM
To all sifus,

I have read the various threads on forced induction and 2.7 eta engine.

But I cant find any recommendation or comparison for my specific needs which are as follows:

E30 325i cabrio auto, presently stock standard as far as I know. Cabrio is heavier due to reinforcements to bodyshell and I find moving off could be improved. Car is a daily driver, stop start traffic in KL, highways to Shah Alam. Weekends or free days I like to drive along trunk roads off the highway where traffic volume is low and enjoy a good blast. Overtaking response is probably blunted by the weight of cabrio. I doubt that I would go for a blast on a track with this car. My fuel bill presently is about RM200 every 5 days... Ouch!!

My conclusion is I obviously need more torque. I dont need a high revving engine with top end power. Practical options are

1) 2.7 (stock) eta conversion
2) 2.7 eta block with 325i head
3) aftermarket supercharger - been to see Turbo Sang

So... those are my requirements and options. I would appreciate your views and recommendations. Advice on costs involved, reliability and ease of maintenance/parts will obviously be a factor.

Thanks in advance. Much appreciated.

Docazani
Doc check out TOTAL BMW November 2005 issue page 56.

an interesting write up...

The M20 engine group was introduced in the late 70's in 2.0L and 2.3L sizes in the European model BMW 320/6 and 323. A later 520 sedan combined the fuel economy of the small six with the convenience of a 4 door sedan.

With consumer demand for more power, engine size was increased to 2.5 L, and in then new E30 chassis, electronic fuel injection powered the 323 and 325 versions. In the shadow of another fuel shortage BMW developed the ingenious 2.7 L eta engine which came to the U.S. in the 1983 528e and '84 325e. The engine was designed for minimum friction loss, highest possible fuel efficiency and maximum low rpm torque. In comparison, the 2.7L eta produces 170 lb/ft of torque at 3250 rpm, whereas the 2.8L 528i produces the same amount of torque but at 4500 rpm.

The 2.5 and 2.7L engines were strong and successful. In 1986 a BMW 325iS prepared by Linder with support from BMW Motorsport won the European Group A Championship and in the United States the Korman Autoworks 325e won the 24 Hours of Watkins Glen and the 1986 IMSA Endurance Driver and Manufacturers Championships. The Director of BMW Motorsport GmbH, Munich, Wolfgang Peter Flohr, wired a message of congratulations saying "The headline,'Korman's BMW Wins 24 Hour Race' is for BMW Motorsports GmbH a highlight which we tried to achieve in the United States for years and which goes without saying to your account only."

Everyone says they want more torque but horsepower still sells. By popular demand the 325iS came to the U.S. It had less torque (164 lb/ft @ 4300 rpm) but and increase of 41 horsepower at an enthusiasts 5800 rpm. It quickly became much more of a favorite than the low revving but efficient eta model. The 325iS made its own racing mark. In 1989 a 325iS entered by Le Team with engine and suspension by Korman Autoworks scored another win in the Watkins Glen 24 Hour Race. The primary competition R&D program for Korman Autoworks in 1993 was to develop the BMW 325iS for the SCCA IT series. The new model was an immediate front runner, overturning the previous dominance of the Nissan Z cars. The BMW won all but one race of the season, breaking lap records everywhere, and ran away with the Mid Atlantic SCCA ITS Championship!

Originally posted by AnGeLiCdEmOn108@Jul 6 2006, 10:27 AM
an interesting write up...

The M20 engine group was introduced in the late 70's in 2.0L and 2.3L sizes in the European model BMW 320/6 and 323. A later 520 sedan combined the fuel economy of the small six with the convenience of a 4 door sedan.

With consumer demand for more power, engine size was increased to 2.5 L, and in then new E30 chassis, electronic fuel injection powered the 323 and 325 versions. In the shadow of another fuel shortage BMW developed the ingenious 2.7 L eta engine which came to the U.S. in the 1983 528e and '84 325e. The engine was designed for minimum friction loss, highest possible fuel efficiency and maximum low rpm torque. In comparison, the 2.7L eta produces 170 lb/ft of torque at 3250 rpm, whereas the 2.8L 528i produces the same amount of torque but at 4500 rpm.

The 2.5 and 2.7L engines were strong and successful. In 1986 a BMW 325iS prepared by Linder with support from BMW Motorsport won the European Group A Championship and in the United States the Korman Autoworks 325e won the 24 Hours of Watkins Glen and the 1986 IMSA Endurance Driver and Manufacturers Championships. The Director of BMW Motorsport GmbH, Munich, Wolfgang Peter Flohr, wired a message of congratulations saying "The headline,'Korman's BMW Wins 24 Hour Race' is for BMW Motorsports GmbH a highlight which we tried to achieve in the United States for years and which goes without saying to your account only."

Everyone says they want more torque but horsepower still sells. By popular demand the 325iS came to the U.S. It had less torque (164 lb/ft @ 4300 rpm) but and increase of 41 horsepower at an enthusiasts 5800 rpm. It quickly became much more of a favorite than the low revving but efficient eta model. The 325iS made its own racing mark. In 1989 a 325iS entered by Le Team with engine and suspension by Korman Autoworks scored another win in the Watkins Glen 24 Hour Race. The primary competition R&D program for Korman Autoworks in 1993 was to develop the BMW 325iS for the SCCA IT series. The new model was an immediate front runner, overturning the previous dominance of the Nissan Z cars. The BMW won all but one race of the season, breaking lap records everywhere, and ran away with the Mid Atlantic SCCA ITS Championship!
tks for the enlightment dude. where did you find the writeup? ;)

Top Bottom