More Bass

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Strider

Club Guest
Hi Sifus,Need some advice here.My setup now:5.25" component installed at kick panel with tweet on the dash, driven by 4 channel amp. in active mode.10" sub in the boot, drive by monoblockThe problem:My music; pop, reggae, rock (not heavy metal), jazz etc.I feel less bass overall. Thinking of doing this:Add 1 or 2 nos 7" or 8" speaker at rear shelf. Does this will solved my problem. Should it be driven by the 4 channel amp or by the monoblock or need to add another amp.OR any other idea/advice are very much appreciated.Thanks in advance

Strider,

Quite a bass-junkie you are these days, eh ? Adding speakers won't really help solve the problem. Sometimes, less is more when it comes to ICE ... seriously.

Okay, what sub are you running now and what sorta enclosure is it in ? Sealed, ported, bandpass ? Also, assuming that you're running everything active, what sorta frequencies are you crossing your mids and subs at ? When you said less bass, what exactly are you looking for you - more of the tight, well-defined kinda bass or the deep, extended rumble and loud type of bass extension ?

Cheers,
VaN.

Hi Van,

I'm now using 10" Alphine S type in consealed box. (don't know the capacity) and don't know much about the setup. It was set by the installer. However, below are the setup:

Crossover at headunit:

Woofer
Freq: 63.oHz
Output level: 0db
Slope: Flat

Mid - Low
Freq: 80Hz
Slope: 12db/octave

Mid - High
Freq: 4.0KHz

Tweeter- High
Freq: 3.2KHz
Output level: -2db

Subwoofer Phasing
0 degree
Level 8 to 10

I'm quite liking the tight, well-defined kinda bass.

Hope this will help. Thanks a lot

Strider, you using Alpine 9833/35 head unit? The figures sure looked like they come off an Alpine... There's no cut-off (Slope: off) for your woofer output... so, the bass roll-off is set at your monoblock, what's the slope and freq?

LCP,

Yep ... I was kinda curious about that. The rest of the drivers look good except for the sub setting. Strider, you're using an Alpine MRD-500 monoblock, rite ? Ideally, the 10 inch Alpine Type-S needs a sealed box of about 0.65 - 1.5 CFT but I'll keep it around the 0.75 CFT for the type of bass extension you're aiming for. BTW, have you started fiddling with the amp's Bass Engine processor yet ? LOL!

Regards,
VaN

LCP,

The headunit is Alphine 9855

Van,

The monoblock is Alphine MRD-605. I'm not so sure about the size of the enclosure.

However, I will fiddle with the monoblock first and see what the come out.

Thanks a lot guys

That is some impressive equipment. Have you tried changing the location/orientation of the box in the boot?

BMs have very well enclosed/damped boots, most pple I know actually aim the sub through the ski-hatch/armrest hole or cut ports through the rear parcel shelf to get more bass into the cabin. And it works.

Just my 2p...

---

Hey Absidian,

Yup, the usual challenge of getting the bass into the cabin - I'm sure Strider is already doing his stuff with the monoblock's setting and sub placement as we speak. Both the E36 and E34 boot are both famous for swallowing low notes in particular give the rather excellent factory sound insulation and damping. The locally assembled cars here however do not come with the ski-hatch opening so we'll have to figure out other alternatives.

My galpal was running a similar setup using the ski hatch in her E36 coupe back in the UK, a single Diamond MacDaddy 12 firing into the cabin thru the ski-hatch. That lasted for like 3 months before she revamped the whole boot and hooked up a pair of MacDaddy's on a modified rear shelf for an IB setup. Sounds sweet as hell till today - thanks to the boys of SQPlus at Manchester.

I'm using a single 12 in a sealed enclosure but am using the stock rear speakers' cavity ( speakers removed ) to channel the bass into the cabin. Works really well since I don't have a need for rearfill.

Cheers,
VaN.

Van,

There is a ski hatch in my e36, just have to punch out the metal sheet. The piece of leather & sound damping material covering the metal sheet can be removed as well so once the armrest is folded out, the ski hatch is revealed. I've removed my entire interior of the car now. Now since you've mentioned about this, How can I use that ski hatch to move the bass from the boot to the cabin area? just leave the humungous hole open (which would be rather silly?)? or do i need to fabricate something to allow just a small hole thru?

Thanks a bunch.

Thanks guy,

Actually, the rear metal shelf already been cut off so that the sound can go in.

With regards to the ski hatch, unfortunately my rear seat doesn't have any arm rest.

I still didn't do anything yet to the monoblock setup. Quite busy last weekend - spending 2 night 3 days at Tanah Rata with the family.

Van, story more on your galpal latest setup.

Thanks again

Top Bottom