Maser Quattroporte kills M5 & B5

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

zagato

Club Guest
Quattroporte+220kg,-110hp VS B5+150kg,-107hp VS M5+17,6cm wheelbase+ 21,3cm length-248nm torque Β5 & -69nm Μ51, 1,595sec fasterTheoretical rival 750i-lolΒ5 3,4kgr/hpM5 3,5kgr/hpQuattroporte 4,825kgr/hpQuattroporte 1'28''355M5 1'29''950Alpina B5 1'30''100Maserati Quattroporte 4.2V8 400hp ps 451nm 1930kgr 3064mm 5054mmBMW M5 5.0V10 507hp ps 520nm 1780kgr 2888mm 4841mmAlpina B5 4.4V8Turbo 500hp ps 699nm 1720kgr 2888mm 4841mmTaken from EVO Mag (not out in M'sia yet).

This maser cannot be faster than M5. It has one of the worst transmission in its class.

Originally posted by beemaro@Oct 27 2005, 06:38 PM
This maser cannot be faster than M5. It has one of the worst transmission in its class.
Dude,

Worst transmission or not, the lap time is recorded at Bedford Autodrome. the maser is faster despite being 150kg heavier & 100hp down & its not marginally faster its 1.6sec faster.. So much for UDM. Anyway who wants to spend 60k quid for a munich taxi on steroid. A maser is a different class altogether

Whats the price difference between the Maserati and the M5? I've seen 2 other comparos with the E60 M5, one is with a Ferrari and a recent one is with the Lambo (also Evo mag I believe).

Strange that they are always comparing the 4 door taxi against supercars.

magazine reviews and lap times are all highly subjective and should be taken as findings, not facts. i have so often seen evo stating a particular car is so good when they have previously tested it in an earlier evo edition and found it real crap. suffice to say, consistency is not reviewers' first name nor last name.

how many v10 cars can you think of available today?

gallardo, m5, m6, touareg and carrera gt.

all not exactly limp, even the diesel one.

the point is, plonking a bloody huge and powerful engine in anything with four wheels will make it sensational and naturally held up against more exotic machines.

to draw conclusions based on reviews' 0-100 times or other similar metrics would be missing the point somewhat.

Originally posted by E46Fanatic@Oct 27 2005, 08:51 PM
Whats the price difference between the Maserati and the M5? I've seen 2 other comparos with the E60 M5, one is with a Ferrari and a recent one is with the Lambo (also Evo mag I believe).

Strange that they are always comparing the 4 door taxi against supercars.
In Spore, price as follows:-

Maser Quad SGD380 = RM836
M5 SGD470 = RM 1.03 M
Gallardo/f430SGD780 =RM 1.71 M
911 SGD470 = RM1.03 M

I think magazine nothing to write already.

Originally posted by f8.@Oct 28 2005, 10:28 AM
magazine reviews and lap times are all highly subjective and should be taken as findings, not facts. i have so often seen evo stating a particular car is so good when they have previously tested it in an earlier evo edition and found it real crap. suffice to say, consistency is not reviewers' first name nor last name.

how many v10 cars can you think of available today?

gallardo, m5, m6, touareg and carrera gt.

all not exactly limp, even the diesel one.

the point is, plonking a bloody huge and powerful engine in anything with four wheels will make it sensational and naturally held up against more exotic machines.

to draw conclusions based on reviews' 0-100 times or other similar metrics would be missing the point somewhat.
Agreed. But M5 which suppossedly technologically superior, lighter and has more hp posted a slower lap times than a maser is actually quite laughable given BMW claims on its technologically superior car 50:50 weight distribution yadayada. Heck the maser is even almost S$200,000 cheaper than an m5 in Singaland. In the UK its the same price.

:) these italian car lovers have something against 50:50 wt dist i notice.. i've got to see the article first b4 believing cuz physically it doesn't make sense.there must be some variable that probably resulted in the outcome.

i do think the maser looks hideous..just my opinion.

50/50 weight dist is a good thing.. The italians are begining to take the same cue, as the Maserati is 47/53 with clever placement of the engine. Anyway, as F8 mentions, more reviews by other parties will help put the maser in perspective.

Maser Quad vs Audi A8

Here is Autocar's Review of the M5, E55 and Maserati.. Very interesting read..

On Handling:

But neither approaches the M5's ability to cross between both roles. It can't quite match their extremes, nor does it need to, because its middle course proves you don't have to go out to the limits. The BMW, so superbly planted on the road, rides firmly yet smoothly - I happily forgot anything but the normal (of three) electronic damper setting - while the steering in either of two modes is meaty and quick at just 2.3 turns lock to lock. The entire driving experience imparts an agility and precision that makes the Maserati seem darty and restless and the E55 lethargic.
Not only does the M5 deliver a more compelling drive, but it is faster and simply more capable everywhere. Yes, there are gimmicks in its make-up, but the fact that the M engineers chose to ignore Active Steering, run-flat tyres and Dynamic Drive - all engineering highlights of the 5-series - points to the M5's honesty of purpose and development. It also has the best seats, driving position and interior finish of all three cars.

On Power:

Thanks to a strict weight-limitation policy, the M5 has a substantial mass advantage (alloy body panels in front of the windscreen, alloy suspension, an engine that weighs just 240kg). At 1830kg (35kg more than its predecessor, not the 50kg less originally claimed) the BMW undercuts the Mercedes-Benz by 92kg and the all-steel and notably bigger Maserati by a massive 200kg. The impact is obvious in so many aspects of the M5's behaviour and counts heavily against the Italian's ability to compete.

So the Maserati is, predictably, at the other extreme in performance and in opposition to the E55's character. In isolation, the Quattroporte feels quick and always sounds fantastic - more melodious to our ears than the M5's purposefully gruff and ever-so-slightly uneven V10 exhaust note. Next to the E55 and M5, however, you wonder if the handbrake has been left on, or go looking for a 'power' button to unleash DC another 100 horses. The Italians, overwhelmed by the ongoing German horsepower and torque race, prefer to give the Quattroporte a distinctly sporting personality.

Verdict:

But nobody beats BMW at this game. The M5, one of the great cars, demolishes its rivals and assumes its rightful position standing alone on top of the super-saloon pile.

But Autocar is really Auto BMW (even the crappy 1 series got good review from them). The Maser Q was never intended to be out & out sports car, (its a GT) the Fiat group has a car to do that, Ferrari. BMW has non, i dare say every single sports car it produced bar the M1 is never quite up there, read Z1, Z3, Z4 Z8 & M6. That's why it focused on the high performance sports sedan, & it excels, I must say. But my point is, despite being heavier, less focus & hp, Maser is faster around the track which truly is quite amazing.

Originally posted by E46Fanatic@Oct 30 2005, 03:21 PM
50/50 weight dist is a good thing.. The italians are begining to take the same cue, as the Maserati is 47/53 with clever placement of the engine. Anyway, as F8 mentions, more reviews by other parties will help put the maser in perspective.

Maser Quad vs Audi A8
The italian has long known the benefit of close to perfect weight distribution, way before BMW does. For example, alfetta gtv in the 70's already has a near perfect distribution.

Thanks for the link. Not a big fan of north american mag review. They should stick reviewing 'vette & ricers.

:nyehehe: hey,maybe the guy who drove the M5 forgot to press the M button!!! hahahah....

jokes aside..still think the M5 is the best amongst them.BMW is not in the business of making supercars..i'm sure if it wanted to it can do so.it all comes down to personal preferrence.alfa guys will surely pick the maser no doubt and bimmer guys will pick the M5/B5.fine by me..

it is surprising to find a heavier and less powerful engined thus less powerful(power:weight) car lap a circuit faster than its opposition. and it is based on this scepticism that naturally draws people to suspect other variables.

without knowing the full details of the test, it could be anything from the driver being a maser man who can wring a maser to within inches of its life and beyond to bring it back to life from death, and to lesser degrees in the bmw, to the bmw having improperly set up suspension settings and tyre conditions, to the track favouring the maser's combo of low end turbocharged torque and gearing cf the m5's higher revving unit.

to zagato, this will sound like bmw coming up with excuses and it may well be, or may not.

nonetheless, whilst we can go on and on debating the perhaps and what ifs without really reaching a sound conclusion bar that borne of exhaustion and boredom, i think its safe to say people who buy masers are not exactly the sort who'd take it to track to prove a point or two to the m5 owners. they don't care so much what the maximum hp is and at what rpm it comes. they just want, 'more than enough'. beyond that, they start looking for things that technical specifications do not and cannot measure. like how nice the engine and exhaust sounds. or how connected it make owners of past masers feel to this current one. or how the interior design stimulates the senses in a way the m5's interior completely fails to even attempt.

personally, the maser wins on grounds of exclusivity. but the engineer within me yearns for a superlative engine, and a v10 at that.

if i had the money, a car catalogue consisting of a single white a4 that simply reads, 'this car has an f1 tech derived v10 that hits red line at 8500rpm' is good enough to warrant a buy.

Driver style variations. Too much variance to be able to use this data reliably.

Ya, I am suspicous on the Evo test as well, due to the facts as highlighted . To me, the Autocar test is more consistent to the manufacturer statistics. Overtime, when more tests and comparos are done and other data points available, we will know which test is the biased or skewed one.

Top Bottom