manual conversion

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Prinze

Club Guest
Folks, am toying with doing a manual conversion for my almost new purchase of a 36 coupe. Have checked with club vendor for the hardware but want check and get recommendations on where I can do the conversion. Any leads is appreciated and circa cost would be helpful.

make sure its the correct gearbox for the current and future mods. dont only go for cheapest, make sure the job is done right first time around. the conversion is straight forward, but knowing what to change and what to re-use is important, since everythign will be on the floor.

ask abang gendong where his TT joints are, and you can gain invaluable info from all the otai's there. just buy everyone some satay ria :rock:

abang ramsing.....long time hvnt had satay with u..... come la tmrw..... heard ur mods siap already

Am in subang bro. Yes want to make sure all parts in place thus need some advice and also approximate cost. Not trying to get cheapest more of where to do it right

have a look at our vendor section.

we have 2.5 manual coming in with options of M3 3.0 lsd+axle.

MDirect

gendong said:
abang ramsing.....long time hvnt had satay with u..... come la tmrw..... heard ur mods siap already
what mods la...no mods now. duduk rumah tanam jagung. hahaha.

nowdays malam a bit susah to go out. hopefully one day can :)

Got a quote from Bluegreen all in circ 5k plus. Reasonable?

Bro Gendong, any other place you can recommend?

Join KSA teh tarik session we can enlighten you better..

I'm a Sis, not a bro, Bro..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prinze said:
Got a quote from Bluegreen all in circ 5k plus. Reasonable?

Bro Gendong, any other place you can recommend?
sometimes it's not about the total amount. it's about doing it right the first time to match your requirements.

hint it's not only your gearbox model

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk 2

Bluegreen is a good place to start. A lot of forumers here go there because of their technical abilities in sorting out issues with their rides. On that note, most good mechanics/workshop are able to do the conversion satisfactorily. Only thing is their charges.

Also, some (i know someone) who actually went out of Klang Valley to do the conversion. Reason? He claimed it was cheaper up north in Penang.

Bottomline is, wld suggest u look at the quality of workmanship rather than the total price quoted. As bro slyder said, doing it right the first time. U'd want that smile when u drive ur ride.

All the best bro!

AmoiSky said:
Join KSA teh tarik session we can enlighten you better..

Sis, where is KSA TT session?

gendong said:
Bluegreen is a good place to start. A lot of forumers here go there because of their technical abilities in sorting out issues with their rides. On that note, most good mechanics/workshop are able to do the conversion satisfactorily. Only thing is their charges.

Also, some (i know someone) who actually went out of Klang Valley to do the conversion. Reason? He claimed it was cheaper up north in Penang.

Bottomline is, wld suggest u look at the quality of workmanship rather than the total price quoted. As bro slyder said, doing it right the first time. U'd want that smile when u drive ur ride.

All the best bro!
Thanks mate. Thats why I am checking around who has done this before and get an opinion.

go for it bro.. e36 is fairly straight forward job , not too complicated as e46 where requires coding .. i assume ur on M50/M52..2.5 or 2.8.. for sure u will smile everytime you slam the pedal.. pls note that is better to get the right final drive(ratio) changed together during the conversion ..

Unstopables, thanks for the heads up. May I asked which will be the correct diff ratio? Sorry not so familiar with that.

There is no such thing as the correct of perfect ratio. Actually a very good question you ask. One of the question I was waiting to hear you ask. It goes back to the driving style you want to achieve.
ok reference would be this http://www.bokchoys.com/differential/GearRatios.htm

with e36 one of our OTAI iceman has lots of experiences with the manual gearbox.
Another Otai is e36 manual is V-Man

What you should be looking at is the final drive number which is the diff ratio number.

simple rule to follow for me is smaller the final drive number the higher the top speed but lesser on the lower gears acceleration
bigger the final drive number the lower the top speed but the better lower gears acceleration

then remember the choice a gearbox makes a big difference as if you can see there are different models with different gear ratios.

Key point to remember as well the gb are not new so while it is down service and change all the seals and bearings. change the clutch plate as well.
clutch pump, flywheel.

twin mass vs single mass

Clutch plate I can say there are 3 oem brands. LUK (most common), Valeo and Sach. Do some research on it and decide on which you want to go for.

rear diff ratios, LSD

enjoy the journey

cheers

Slyder, thanks for the tip. Will look it up. I prefer acceleration as opposed to top end speed so higher ratio will be it.

Prinze, KSA TT normally on fridays 10 pm onwards at MMZ bukit jelutong. Do checkout members meet up section.. Announcements are all there..

Top Bottom