Maintenance cost in MY vs. SG

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Salsero

Club Guest
Ok, my first post in this forum, but not a forum newbie per se. Tried to do a search but was literally at a lost of words as for the keywords to use, as well as which forum to search in (5 series? tech? general discussion?)Just got an e34 in S'pore where I work and live. Car is a '92 with 176xxx kms on the odo, CalypsoRot, and upgraded to the wide grill look (even the engine bay has the nice cover).As a M'sian, I'm up in KL once or twice a month for both work and personal reasons (hence the need for a comfy MalaysianBahn cruiser).Would it be cheaper for me to have the car serviced in MY or SG? I'm assuming labor costs are cheaper in MY but it's not clear to me as to whether parts are cheaper in MY or SG, so they may end up offsetting each other. Plus, e34s are rarer than hen's teeth out here in SG. The one place I've been referred to (and seems to be popular with a few folks here) is Heritage, off Jalan Klang Lama. This is logistically convenient to me as well as my KL office is near MidValley.TIARezal

I have not compared parts but for rims and tyres, Singapore is much cheaper. I was quoted S$1000 (RM2350) for four 18" E65 stock replica in Bukit Batok and RM3000 in Butterworth. That is about 27% more expensive.

I have a friend who drives a Lexus LS400 in Penang was quoted RM2000+ for a pump and managed to picked one up in Singapore for S$80. Isn't that ridiculous?

Salsero said:
Ok, my first post in this forum, but not a forum newbie per se. Tried to do a search but was literally at a lost of words as for the keywords to use, as well as which forum to search in (5 series? tech? general discussion?)

Just got an e34 in S'pore where I work and live. Car is a '92 with 176xxx kms on the odo, CalypsoRot, and upgraded to the wide grill look (even the engine bay has the nice cover).

As a M'sian, I'm up in KL once or twice a month for both work and personal reasons (hence the need for a comfy MalaysianBahn cruiser).

Would it be cheaper for me to have the car serviced in MY or SG?

I'm assuming labor costs are cheaper in MY but it's not clear to me as to whether parts are cheaper in MY or SG, so they may end up offsetting each other. Plus, e34s are rarer than hen's teeth out here in SG. The one place I've been referred to (and seems to be popular with a few folks here) is Heritage, off Jalan Klang Lama. This is logistically convenient to me as well as my KL office is near MidValley.

TIA

Rezal

You might want to reconsider sending your car to Heritage. they are very pricy

Sal,

If you can spare the time, get your parts in SG and get on over to JB for a fair deal on labour and excellent service/workmanship. That's what most of us are doing here in JB .... most parts are cheaper in SG but factor in the labour there and it becomes non grata!

Cheers,
VaN.

bimmer73 said:
You might want to reconsider sending your car to Heritage. they are very pricy

I agree - You could go to the man under the tree in PJ Old Town.. Much more reasonable.

Top Bottom