MAA wants Car Scrapping Policy

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

xtracooljustin

Club Guest
The automotive market has been growing for the past 8 years, but has slowed down this year. Reasons for this slowdown was quoted to be more stringent hire purchase requirements and the rising fuel costs. The new NAP also brought resale value of old cars down, discouraging sales because owners prefer to keep their old cars rather than sell them at a low price and buy a new car.As you all know, I watch the local media everyday to monitor new developments in the car industry. Both you and I have read news that hint of an upcoming possible vehicle scrapping policy. I’ve wanted to write about it for quite some time now, but posts like this take time to think out and I did not have the time. But after what Datuk Aishah Ahmad said yesterday in the papers, I cannot wait anymore. This is the MAA’s solution to boost vehicle sales in Malaysia, to ensure further growth:
  • Scrap used vehicles over a certain age
  • Less stringent financing
  • Export used cars
  • Incentives
  • Tax rebates
What incentives are we talking about? Datuk Aishah Ahmad says the MAA has proposed to the government to offer a RM5,000 voucher to car owners who scrap their cars voluntarily. This voucher cannot be exchanged for cash, but can only be used to purchase a NEW vehicle. Cars more than 10 years old should also be scrapped.Another proposal would be to export vehicles over 10 years old overseas. A tax refund of the original vehicle excise and import duty could be given as an incentive, in addition to the body value of the car when exported. There could also be a tax rebate to purchase a new car, specifically locally assembled and national cars.I have a friend who constantly complains daily about how expensive it is to even afford a car like a Perodua Kelisa. Look around you. There are plenty of old cars on the road running well. My father drove a 1984 Nissan Sunny 130Y his whole life, and I am still using it now. My Proton Satria was involved in an accident which deemed it a total loss, and scrap value was only a little more than RM1,000. Together with the RM5,000 voucher that MAA proposed, I’d rather continue driving my 22 year old Nissan Sunny than get a measely RM6,000 to so-called help me buy a new car. Where is the choice? There are people like me who prefer buying a second hand car so much more than a first hand car. I do not feel any need the smell of a new car. Why not let someone else take care of the depreciation? My Proton Satria was already 9 years old when I acquired it, and earning low wages I had to take a 5 year loan for it. Which means by the time I finished paying the loan, it would already be 14 years old!What about older folks who are retired and still go around in their old Toyota Corollas? Having retired, I don’t think they can afford replacing their old reliable run-about with a new car. And what about sentimental value? And classics?How do you scrap cars when it’s so hard to own cars here in the first place. You already toil to pay off a car loan in ridiculous lengths of 7 to 9 years. If cars had to be scrapped at the 10th year of age, the depreciation rate of cars would also go at a very much accelerated rate, approaching almost no value at the 10th year. What if you total you car half way thorugh the loan repayment. The insurance company would reimburse you based on current value. How are you supposed to repay the huge amount of money you still owe the bank?This is not stimulating the market, it’s more of creating a captive market for new cars. And captive markets are always bad. Outrageous. We are not all rolling in cash okay? Don’t force your new cars down our throats!How do you think this current glut in the new car and 2nd hand car market should be solved?
(Taken from Paul Tan's blog: http://paultan.org/archives/2006/08/22/maa-wants-car-scrapping-policy/ )

The proposal of the scrapping of cars more than 10 years old is such an unwise and rushed idea. Rushed in da sense that this idea is not practical in our country at least for the next 15-20 years til public transport improves.

should this plan go through, we will c all our cars depreciate faster than lightning!

Trade my 17 yr old Bimmer for a Rm5000 voucher? NEVER!

This will only work for Tiara's cos its worth no more then 5K anyway.

Damn, my 10+ years old cars are still worth more than RM5k each! No way will I "voluntarily" scrap my cars for below their market value.

As usual, the individual rakyat will become the losers and for what purpose? To beef up the motor industry in Malaysia. And guess which local car manufacturer will benefit from this policy?:mad:

No way jose.

What!!! Scrap my 16 year old E34 (which handles beautifully, spacious, comfortable and superbly built) for RM5k to buy some stupid NEW P@#$%n which handles like a drunk fat slob on a pogo stick, cramp, tacky interior with crappy seats and is built like a milo tin?!?!?!?

You've gotta be kidding rite?

I think its a voluntary process. Don't think the government would force everyone to scrap their cars once its a decade old. That would be INSANE to say the least. Even in Singapore, its optional...owners can choose to renew COE and continue to use the vehicle.

If its voluntary then its not too bad an idea. But then again, before the policy is workable, car prices have to come down. Imagine if you had bought a Honda Civic in 1996, pay almost 90k...and the second hand value is still in the region of 40-50k, would you scrap it for 5k?? But if you had bought it for say 50k, then you can choose either export it (if its good condition like those Singaporean cars) or scrap it.

The government has been living under illussion for a long time, when the time comes for correction, it will be a painful process. Similarly for other policies as well, we are still arguing about religion, special rights, government positions (chief minister and such) and etc, when other countries are moving towards globalisation. *sigh*

The idea of scrapping cars cannot work if our new car prices are so prohibitively high. Try asking an unemployed/retired kampung pakcik to dump his 30 year old Corolla to buy a new car when he can ill afford that.

Anyway, I thought scrapping old cars was a means to prevent car overpopulation (in order to avoid congestion) and as a way to ensure that the cars on the road are safe, not as a method to save the auto industry!

interesting proposal. it would definitely boost the sale of cars in the country.... but why implement a policy like that that causes hardship to the people just to move the automobile industry? in singapore, i understand. its a small island with beautiful public transport. wot works in singapore dun always work here. just look at the different set of objectives for the policy?

same as the attempts to impose an entry charge for foreign vehicles entering malaysia. ya rite???

Excellent idea!.. implement it along with scrapping of all APs, withdrawal of obscene import duties and taxes, removal of all dubious/corrupt/incompetent idiots who came up with the stupid wasteful idea of a local car industry in the first place : (

ah lian said:
interesting proposal. it would definitely boost the sale of cars in the country.......

That's why the MAA favours this policy :mad:

Regardless, I think the rakyat will continue to shun proton, they would rather live on bread & water than buy something forced upon them by stupid policies. Oh yeah, with the Japan-Malaysia free trade agreement coming into effect in 2008, I wouldn't mind living on bread & water if I can buy Subaru WRX 2.5 turbo or Lexus IS250 at 5% import duty..........

flash said:
Damn, my 10+ years old cars are still worth more than RM5k each! No way will I "voluntarily" scrap my cars for below their market value.

As usual, the individual rakyat will become the losers and for what purpose? To beef up the motor industry in Malaysia. And guess which local car manufacturer will benefit from this policy?:mad:

No way jose.

Hit the nail on the head flash!
Screw Proton and the idiots protecting it. Scrap my perfectly good 16 year old car???? you got to be out of your piss stinking mind! First of all, the AP crap, import duty and excise duty crap has to be abolished, then Proton will be forced to compete on equal terms. Then nobody will buy their cars! Then the market will be flooded with unwanted Protons..... ( new,old and half built ) and Proton will go under.

Its just a question of time...when it goes under.

If big companies like GM, Ford, VW and etc cant withstand the Japanese/Korean onslaught, what chances our dear plotong has?? Too bad, we the rakyat are the suckers. I WILL NEVER BUY A PLOTONG TOO...

ALBundy said:
Its just a question of time...when it goes under.

If big companies like GM, Ford, VW and etc cant withstand the Japanese/Korean onslaught, what chances our dear plotong has?? Too bad, we the rakyat are the suckers. I WILL NEVER BUY A PLOTONG TOO...

Good on you!
But as long as the Gov supports and protects it........

We suffer!

Top Bottom