M47 turbo diesel - compatible with bio-diesel?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dilbert

Club Guest
hi,a newbie here... but do not drive or own a Bimmer (yet! :10:)... but driving a vehicle which uses the BMW powertrain...to cut the story short, am currently driving the Landrover Freelander Td4, 2007 model, which uses BMW's M47 2.0-liter turbodiesel powertrain (with the 5-speed Jatco auto gearbox). it is a superb engine, loads of torque low-end, albeit de-tuned from the original E46 320d models (260Nm @ 1750-2500 rpm, vs. 280Nm, but still rated at 120hp - manufacturers' specs).my query - in the manual, it explicitly mentions that the engine in NOT compatible with bio-diesel fuel, and states that the manufacturer will not be held liable for damage for using the wrong fuel. however, with bio-diesel making to more stations within the Klang Valley, i'm just worried if one day the 'normal' diesel pumps will be far in-between the stations around here. used to pump in Caltex Techron-D, but since Caltex started to introduce bio-diesel instead, have stopped and now using PETRONAS or BHP (since convenient to my home).appreciate if any forummers can assist to provide some technical insights to this - and if there is any way i can get BMW's technical assistance to confirm this fact (M47 engines not compatible with bio-diesel), perhaps e-mail to their tech-support. i don't plan on shortening the life of the engine, and ending up with expensive repairs - just because of the 'wrong' fuel being used.thanks in advance.dilbert :cool:

Top Bottom