m40 absorber

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

rockonla

Club Guest
hi all, just need to check how much a m40 absorber nowadays (full set)..any leads? i was quoted 1300 for absorber and bushing. i guess this is the normal ones. thanks dude!:top:

Rough prices:

Bilstein black shocks - RM210 each for front, RM160 each for rear
Front absorber mounts - RM70+ each
Rear absorber mounts - RM30+ each
Front lower control arm bushes - RM35+ each, RM90+ each for the offset M3 ones
Rear trailing arm bushes - RM60+ per set of 2
Rear subframe bushes - RM60+ each

Hey rocky, if you're interested in going bilstein sport let me know, ive got a decent condition rear set in storage.

i have bilstein blacks on both my E30s.. no complains, excellent comfort/handling compromise. go with the yellows if you intend to do some serious driving.

A cheaper Bilstein Sport alternative for the rear shock would be the Merc Benz W124/W202 rear shocks.. Slightly stiffer to the Bilstein Sport.. And best if it's already run in aka used... Then again, that's just for the rear.. U'll need a matching front shocks to go with the rear Merc shocks... I'm using Titan's serviceable front shocks. Or u can opt for the Bilstein sport front shocks.

thanks for the swift replies dudes!!..i just had the sense that it would need changing soon. btw, ive noticed that the my rear tires like ngam2 fit..and its a 205/45/17 ("i know e30 cannot use 17inch"-still in search of an ori 16/15inch). my question would be, how can they fit a 16x9 rims all round without hitting the walls? how to lipat the rear fender? i have to say that those bbs rs 15x10.5 or borbet type AorB 16X9 memang the bizness on e30's...can i get a witness!! :)

wat do u mean by ' ("i know e30 cannot use 17inch"-still in search of an ori 16/15inch) '??? ur statement made me kinda worry though....

i m using 17' on my ride, seems fine to me le...??? care to eleborate? any consequences that we are looking at?

fabianyee;414168 said:
A cheaper Bilstein Sport alternative for the rear shock would be the Merc Benz W124/W202 rear shocks.. Slightly stiffer to the Bilstein Sport.. And best if it's already run in aka used... Then again, that's just for the rear.. U'll need a matching front shocks to go with the rear Merc shocks... I'm using Titan's serviceable front shocks. Or u can opt for the Bilstein sport front shocks.

Hi Fabian,

Will the car maintain a balance height at front & rear using the front Bilstein Sport shocks & rear Merc shocks set-up?

Also, is the rear Merc shocks a direct bolt on or require certain fabrication/modifications?

Cheers.

rayncc;414386 said:
Hi Fabian,

Will the car maintain a balance height at front & rear using the front Bilstein Sport shocks & rear Merc shocks set-up?

Also, is the rear Merc shocks a direct bolt on or require certain fabrication/modifications?

Cheers.

Ride height is determined mainly by the springs.. not the absorbers. only change needed to be done is the bolt hole at the bottom of the absorbers. The Merc hole is smaller. there various solutions to that little issue (I wouldn't even call it a problem)..

fabianyee;414168 said:

IMHO - the best setup so far ...

Front = Bil Sport / KONI Sport / Titan
Rear - Merc Bils .. it's cheaper too !!

The hardest was Gabriel Gas - meant for the PAJERO !!! :stupid:

E30 rear mount is not the strongest link .. If u have a hard rear suspension - the mount will give away easily ...

Fabs, how much would a setup similar to yours (Titan front shocks + used Merc rear shocks) cost? I sometimes think that my black Bilsteins paired with H&R springs is a tad bouncy sometimes. :D

535i: Speaking of rear mounts, anyone here with contacts for reinforced+redesigned rear mounts? e.g. the Rogue Engineering ones, those are tasty looking.

nawtyboy;414358 said:
wat do u mean by ' ("i know e30 cannot use 17inch"-still in search of an ori 16/15inch) '??? ur statement made me kinda worry though....

i m using 17' on my ride, seems fine to me le...??? care to eleborate? any consequences that we are looking at?

i was told that it does compromise handling and it might shorten the life span of the wheel barring. also e30's are not designed to drive on 17's as 16's are the max option available last time. theres a few more issues about this but i dont remember. so far i use oklah, no problem. i dont drive my e30 hard all the time, just the occasional dash arnd corners for lunch.

evilnickwong;414410 said:
Fabs, how much would a setup similar to yours (Titan front shocks + used Merc rear shocks) cost? I sometimes think that my black Bilsteins paired with H&R springs is a tad bouncy sometimes. :D

535i: Speaking of rear mounts, anyone here with contacts for reinforced+redesigned rear mounts? e.g. the Rogue Engineering ones, those are tasty looking.

I'll stick to the ori from BMW + less harsh rear abs.

Lesson learned - coz i need to double-weld the rear mount plate - it cracked due to the hard rear abs.

535i;414455 said:
I'll stick to the ori from BMW + less harsh rear abs.

Lesson learned - coz i need to double-weld the rear mount plate - it cracked due to the hard rear abs.

Need to install proper strut bar (that cover the top surface) to reduce the mount plate flexing during bound and rebound....

PICT5907.jpg

fabianyee;414460 said:
Need to install proper strut bar (that cover the top surface) to reduce the mount plate flexing during bound and rebound....

PICT5907.jpg

Fab - done that wayy back - infact the mould that we are using now for tht plate, originated from our Kosas gang back in 1996 !

Still - not strong enuf to hold the Gabriel Gas ..

But that strut bar is the best investment to improve ur E30 handling ..

535i;414467 said:
Fab - done that wayy back - infact the mould that we are using now for tht plate, originated from our Kosas gang back in 1996 !

Still - not strong enuf to hold the Gabriel Gas ..

But that strut bar is the best investment to improve ur E30 handling ..

This design is based on the Sparco aluminum strut bar flown in from US... U used the super stiff Gabriel Gas absorbers meant for the Pajero, sure koyak loh...

fabianyee;414517 said:
This design is based on the Sparco aluminum strut bar flown in from US... U used the super stiff Gabriel Gas absorbers meant for the Pajero, sure koyak loh...

itchy maaa .. that time just started playing with BMW .. :stupid:..

The one that I have is aluminium - very light
WHen we fabricate - we use normal besi - heavier but cheaper ..

Gabriel GAS + Terra spring (purple color ) = 2 weeks only .. + sakit pinggang :stupid:..

evilnickwong;414527 said:
Fabian, no feedback on rough price of the Titan + Merc combo? :)

Titan is about RM1,000 for the front. Merc rear absorbers are RM150/pc new.. my rear merc shocks have been free.. hahah. I got from the workshop, used, of cos... Merc owner changed to new abs and left the old absorbers there... No sign of leaking so i took for testing after hearing about it from 535i.. It worked great. Wonderful on Sepang...

initally put on a set of W124 rear shocks.. But it was way too stiff.. Then I got another pair from the W124 (SACHS) to experiment... The SACHS absorbers were softer compared to the Bilstein ones I put on later... The SACHS pair is better mated to the Eibach compared to the Bilstein (Yes, I tried both). When I changed to APEX Springs, the SACHS+APEX combo wasn't really working the way I wanted it to be. I put back the Bilstein and this is the best combo so far (at this cost)...

e30 running on 17' wheels

rockonla;414451 said:
i was told that it does compromise handling and it might shorten the life span of the wheel barring. also e30's are not designed to drive on 17's as 16's are the max option available last time. theres a few more issues about this but i dont remember. so far i use oklah, no problem. i dont drive my e30 hard all the time, just the occasional dash arnd corners for lunch.

aisey, like dat i dun feel safe & not syiok edi la....i'm using my e30 on 17' wheels as daily ride as well as fun ride...hmm...for cost concern sake i guess i need to revert back to 16' eh?

....come to think of it, no wonder i feel the ride wobble a bit when i hit potholes or run over some uneven surface...must be the 17' wheel too heavy for it to handle...

tks for the info though...

Top Bottom