m20 timing belt

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bazet

Club Guest
Just spent RM1600 this month for E34 and forgot to replace the timing belt.........I usually change it at 40,000km but since I broke so much this month, I want to know how long can the OEM timing belt last ?

bazet,

last time i change it @ 50,ooo. it looks good though. this time arnd im planning it @ 60K. i think contitech belt shud last 80K...

btw u oso need to change the tensioner. i chang water pump every 2 t-belt change. i suggest u change the water jacket that covered by ur front pulley. last time that water jacket broke i think 4-5 days after i changed the timing belt. to access it, u hv to remove the belt again, double work!!! if ur paying somebody to do it.. double charge ...

the m20 is the E34 12v rite? just change the belt la. its so ridiculously cheap id do it every yr just to be safe! i paid RM80 for the belt the last time i did it.

redd

I have done it at 60K. But it have broke on me once at 70K.

So 55K is a safe bet.

80!! I paid 50!! and it was a contitech too.:)

Hayes manuel recommends 50K kms though factory says 80K is OK. with malaysian weather and a 50rm $$ belt plus RM100 lbr = 150!! it's better to change at 50-60k rather than risk 1500!! on a head rebuild!!

just IMHO!!

My friend Honda SV4 just putus timing belt and.........that costed him 3k....

I can't stand the worry.....already sent the tank for timing belt replacement...ouch $$$$

when should I start saving for M20 B27.....

40K - hard driving ...

Change my M40 at 35K - phewww .. ngam .. ngam .. the belt retak al-leadi .. yup .. hard driving ..

A few type of belts .. Go for ori and not OEM .. Cost more but at least no squeaking ...

Factory said 80K km (which is 50K miles). In Msia driving, it could last 100K km or more, so its rather safe, unless your car is drving only 15 mins a day!.

Remember to change the tensioner as well when you change the belt!. New belts with OLD tensioner will break the belt!. Be safe and do this change properly.

just changed mine

50,000 km interval........the belt looks ok..but have a very little crack..

also changed :
- cam oil seal
- cam o ring
- the belt
- timing bearing
- timing cover clip

I should record the video while their doing the job and later I'll doing myself at home.....

Now the car feel better because the troubled mind has been removed.....

Top Bottom