Love hate relationship with E30-overheat

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

skinhead

Club Guest
last week while driving on old road saw the temp meter slowly creeping above middle mark and finally reached the red mark. pull over to the side entering a tomyam shop. while almost standstill i could hear hissing sound from the engine. 1st thing came to my sound mind was, broken hose, water gushing out fm it. off the engine, true enuff, the hose from thermostat housing to lower radiator 'koyak'. few weeks ealier, had changed the timingbelt at ahfoo and his mech told me that the hose was close to hitting the rotating blade of the alternator. he jus zip tied the hose to the body and done if later the hose bocor, need to change the belt to shorter belt. as everything was done&fixed i paid and drove home. but wonder why they didnt change the belt to shorter belt while they wer at it.. true enuff after a wekk or so, the hose hit the alternator blade and koyak. after accessing my option, calling AAM is one of it but didnt proceed as i was outside area and need to pay 1st for tow charge, i decide to patch the hole. i always keep those electrical tape (black color) inside my cars. after the engine cooldown, takeout the afm out for betta access, just wind the tape round the hole, making sure its tight and firm. reassemble, "borrow" few bottle from the tomyam shop's tap water, bleed the system and start the engine. i let it run for few minutes, and check the temp. everything was normal, so i decide to drive backhome some 30+km away. :top: , yea.. arrived home in one pcs, notice the water level drops bcos of the leak. later i changed the hose bought new for rm45 (bavauto) and new alternator contitech belt(shorter) for rm30. lesson learn:1/ if you want to make it right, u have to do it urself. 2/ good to keep some spannar in ur car, u neverknow it will become handy3/ keep few black electrical tape, u might jus need it one day. thks rahmanE21 for his advice on the electrical tape looongggg time ago...

skinhead;442769 said:
last week while driving on old road saw the temp meter slowly creeping above middle mark and finally reached the red mark. pull over to the side entering a tomyam shop. while almost standstill i could hear hissing sound from the engine. 1st thing came to my sound mind was, broken hose, water gushing out fm it.

off the engine, true enuff, the hose from thermostat housing to lower radiator 'koyak'. few weeks ealier, had changed the timingbelt at ahfoo and his mech told me that the hose was close to hitting the rotating blade of the alternator. he jus zip tied the hose to the body and done if later the hose bocor, need to change the belt to shorter belt. as everything was done&fixed i paid and drove home. but wonder why they didnt change the belt to shorter belt while they wer at it..

true enuff after a wekk or so, the hose hit the alternator blade and koyak. after accessing my option, calling AAM is one of it but didnt proceed as i was outside area and need to pay 1st for tow charge, i decide to patch the hole. i always keep those electrical tape (black color) inside my cars. after the engine cooldown, takeout the afm out for betta access, just wind the tape round the hole, making sure its tight and firm. reassemble, "borrow" few bottle from the tomyam shop's tap water, bleed the system and start the engine.

i let it run for few minutes, and check the temp. everything was normal, so i decide to drive backhome some 30+km away. :top: , yea.. arrived home in one pcs, notice the water level drops bcos of the leak. later i changed the hose bought new for rm45 (bavauto) and new alternator contitech belt(shorter) for rm30.

lesson learn:
1/ if you want to make it right, u have to do it urself.
2/ good to keep some spannar in ur car, u neverknow it will become handy
3/ keep few black electrical tape, u might jus need it one day.

thks rahmanE21 for his advice on the electrical tape looongggg time ago...

i remember now that years back when i first got my e30, it had the 2.0 m20 then, i had a similair situation, but mine was the viscous fan hitting the water pump hose. This was due to a worn engine mounting. Manage to patch the hole with black tape, car cloth and i think i tied the fan clutch so it wouldn't move, since i wasn't far from home it was ok.
Later found out the mount had broke causing the engine to lean and the fan cutting away at the hose.
After replacing mount and hose i went and bought extra hoses and kept it in the car, recently found 2 unidentified hoses in my store.......now recall them as the m20 ljet raditor hoses....:rolleyes:

have since kept my tool box and assorted parts in car.....

you should tell Foo that his mech should be more responsible, and should your engine need an overhaul he should bear all cost because his mech did a shortcut by using a longer belt....good thing you can DIY...:top:

an incident i experienced with my E30 was entirely due to my negligence and ignorance. me very lazy to look under da hood. i overlooked fact that unlike my E46, i shud check cooland level of the 24 yr old car every other week.. so, i ended up by the roadside waiting for temp to come down, while i missed an important meeting. turned up coolant was low by almost 4 liters. bodoh kan..?

mizhan;442791 said:
an incident i experienced with my E30 was entirely due to my negligence and ignorance. me very lazy to look under da hood. i overlooked fact that unlike my E46, i shud check cooland level of the 24 yr old car every other week.. so, i ended up by the roadside waiting for temp to come down, while i missed an important meeting. turned up coolant was low by almost 4 liters. bodoh kan..?

tepuk dada tanya selera......:eek:

all m20 6 cylinder e30s has a coolant level sensor, go buy an e30 that has one....

i have this energizer headlamp in my car at all times... Very useful, small in size and pretty durable. In fact I bought another one for my Mt Kinabalu climb.

energizer_ledessentials_package.jpg

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/energizer_ledessentials.htm

Maybe its worth for us to just list some essential items that might come handy which we can bring along in our old faithfull E30's.

For a start some pointers from you guys were:

1. good to keep some spannar in ur car, u neverknow it will become handy
2. keep few black electrical tape, u might jus need it one day.
3. have since kept my tool box and assorted parts in car.....
4. a torchlight "in a working condition" is a very useful tool too.....

5. Cable tie
6. Fuel pump relay
7. Fuses

items to add in boot : additional water, additional engine oil......

i had similar episode, the clip holding the pipe from BOTTOM of radiator back to engine was not clipped down the hose properly and was just grazing the pulley ( from alternator ). So I lost all coolant mighty fast and it was a NEW replacement too.....zoggee, u know who lar I want blame!

fabianyee;442810 said:
i have this energizer headlamp in my car at all times... Very useful, small in size and pretty durable. In fact I bought another one for my Mt Kinabalu climb.

energizer_ledessentials_package.jpg

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/energizer_ledessentials.htm

hey...tis is exactly what i have! they are handy but not as durable..now a 2nd piece. i still buy coz they're cool!
each time my parents & neighbours see me wearing it, they would think of the 70s when ppl using similar lighting device to go rubber tapping in the wee hours..

WTF! just read this post few days ago then today is my turn to kena... luckily i got the black tape and cable tie... after fixing it drive like a mad man from petaling street to tasik permai...

BUT!!! suprisingly the black tape holds the hose tremendously tight, no leak is spotted after i have reached home... what i need to pay is 50 dolar for for the ori hose... wallet kong! >.

ya, bmw sucks! but my luck worst... my kelisa rim cracked and couldn't be repair anymore, drove in the mountain road from hulu langat to seminyih, and the rim spoilt in from of the nirvana cemetery!!! then the next day my e30 pulak...

but i saw the members alfa romeo club were convoy in that area...NICE!

Oh yes... just like telling your wife that she is all time suck for the last ten years...

Chill with the free comments dudes....tell me one car that does not have any need for repairs and i'll show you a woman that does not need love and affection. I haven't found one yet but that still doesn't mean bmw sucks. If you feel so strongly about the quality, why still drive the car? I mean if you really hate the car so much..well...use it to make composs fertiliser.

Constructive comments would be more appreciative in this forum. Thanks

fuiyoh!!!! so serious wan ah? The older E30 guys know what I mean by BMW sucks.

If it does offended you..then sorry long story. I say sorry lor.

I still think they sucks.

Top Bottom